Your Biggest F@#k Up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys must live in bubble wrap if these are your biggest f@#k ups...

My thumb in a table saw, doctor thought it was funny that I was sending pictures to my son in the lobby while he was stitching me up

Pierced my finger with a trim nailer... Had a Russian doctor for that, she didn't know what to use to get it out. I told her to put a pair of scissor clamps on it and pull straight. She actually thought about using a hammer.. I adamantly said no, if you bend it over I'm in trouble!

Massive splinter from a piece of osb. I wanted to pull it out in one piece so I went home and used a utility knife to cut down the length of it so it didn't break. Had to put it onto a tape measure because my brother didn't believe how long it was

PhotoMoto 0015.jpgmy thumb.jpgPART_1446508029210_2.jpegIMGA0007.jpgIMGA0008.jpgIMG_20190706_091827_01.jpgIMG_20190703_151441831.jpgIMG_20190703_150940881.jpgLastly another table saw.... didn't even go to the Dr on this one, but I cut a nice rabbet out of my index finger. Went back to cutting after my wife and step daughter patched me up. They used styptic which is a chemical coteriser... That crap hurts worse than the injury did! It actually felt like holding my fingers in a torch!! No exaggerating on that description either... Pain like you can't imagine, and I've had a lot of painful lessons let me tell ya!" data-bb-code="message" />

About 2 months in at my new job I was pulling in a million dollar plow and broom. We have about a dozen of them, Similar to this setup:

The broom is a trailer to the plow truck and has it's own computer controlled steering.

Well, the computer decided to go nuts and turned the steer axle. I was pulling in from cold dark outside into bright steamy inside, so instantly windows and mirrors fogged up. It ended up banging the fuel tank into the door bollard and denting it in.

Worst part, I didn't notice it happened. I got out of the truck and the trailer was a few feet out of line. I looked at the door frame just to make sure and it was fine. Never thought about the bollard.

I saw the dent, but it looked old, and actually I had washed 3 other setups that evening and 2 others were dented in the same area.

They did a "sure... yeah right" when I explained. They were pretty well convinced that I tried to hide it, but I honestly had no idea it had happened. I certainly felt like **** about it!

BUT the very next shift another setup about ripped the fuel tank off on another bollard when it did the same thing, so I kind of got the "ok, it happens"

183EFB20-C466-411B-B9A3-22F8F3016FAD.jpeg

The back story is the tree was hollow, leaning downhill. Only I thought it was solid when I started cutting on the downhill side of the tree. I got about 3-4 inches in and the damn thing cracked/popped and pinched my saw. Had I known it was hollow I would have just started picking at the uphill side and it would have (maybe) fallen where I wanted. Got a second saw and busted the blade out but it was ruined. Removed my 500i right after it stuck and it’s a good thing. When the tree finally moved to the ground it broke the chain and completely smashed a 12” section of the groove closed and then bent the bar in a gentle S shape.
Live and learn. And I took off work to do this??

Way back I bought a [brand] new 441 and was using it to cut a very tall Ponderosa, 29" diameter and the wind came up a bit and moved the tree and it pinched the 25" bar. I turned around to walk the fifty yards to my truck to get another bar so I could disconnect the saw and cut out the stuck bar. Few seconds later, wind shifted a bit, tree rocked, let the bar go, and the saw dropped out and onto a big rock. Air filter cover smacked the rock and cracked big time. Brand new saw.

Way back I bought a [brand] new 441 and was using it to cut a very tall Ponderosa, 29" diameter and the wind came up a bit and moved the tree and it pinched the 25" bar. I turned around to walk the fifty yards to my truck to get another bar so I could disconnect the saw and cut out the stuck bar. Few seconds later, wind shifted a bit, tree rocked, let the bar go, and the saw dropped out and onto a big rock. Air filter cover smacked the rock and cracked big time. Brand new saw.

Battle scars look good on a saw.

I have been pretty lucky (knock on wood).

I ran over my original Husky 65 once with a utility trailer. Amazingly it only damaged the nose of the bar.

My 562 slipped under a tree that twisted while falling but the snow cushioned the impact. My other Husky 65 slipped forward once too. After that I kept a much better grip on saws. Never happened again.

You seen this? I suppose if you hold it wide open maybe?
Does NOT have to be anywhere near wide open and when the clutch flies apart very bad things can happen. Lucky not to have serious injury and damage to anything in the plane of rotation of the clutch.

The springs hold the assembly together at idle(maybe), but put some RPMs on the saw the springs stretch out and release the shoes which go flying.
Also, this result can be obtained by being too aggressive with an air impact wrench when removing a clutch. The shoes fly off at sufficient strength to break them if they hit something hard. Once bitten, twice shy. Now my mantra is short burst...stop...short burst...stop. Repeat as necessary. Patience is a virtue.

Latest posts

Back