Your Biggest F@#k Up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back on topic, when restoring my barn/ house. A live hanging light wire found its way into my mouth.
Bam.
Then there was the clutch on one of them Poulans I was working on last weekend and there was no bar on it.
I saw the the clutch was always engaged and the spring was broken I thought no big deal.
Well that spring flew out and into the bushes at 100 mph.
I won’t do that again I said to self.

I chainsawed for hours trimming branches and bushes in my back yard. Tired as could be i shood there and let the chainsaw down while holding it.. i was an idiot wearing cargo shorts.. and when i allowed the saw down the muffler burned a huge spot on the side of my thigh. Huge pain and half a year to heal.. what an idiot i was..

I know a lot of people who say that kind of thing. 4-5 years in college to work a headache inducing job surrounded by money obsessed drones.

I don’t regret going to school for civil engineering. Although knowing what I know now I may have gone to a different school. It was miserable at times, but I gained a totally different understanding of what I had been doing and the industry I’m still in.

No, my **** up was venturing out on my own as a business owner. I didn’t want to work for the man, but the work I knew how to do was either a miserable small crew operation stuck in a niche or required a big cash outlay at the start.

It didn’t help that I graduated smack in the middle of the 2009 recession, so I had a grand total of three job offers with seven years (admittedly not all full time) in the industry. So I muddled along through some miserable times and I’m now just finally getting to the point where I’m comfortable with the size of the company and what we do. Now we’re in another economic downturn and I’m trying to figure out how to survive and keep food on my people’s tables.

I quit my first job because I pissed off at a dumb ****, probably would have promoted up to a supervisor in three years if I had stayed....or serving 25 to life for killing said dumb ****.

My biggest saw related f...up was almost winching a 35 foot tall black oak on my own head, luckily I had to cut a little more of the hinge and watched it hit right were I was previously standing.

I have a similar one.
Cutting down a 28" dead oak 9n my dad's property. Right after I made the final part of the back cut and the tree began to move I leisurely moved into a safer position a branch crashes down right where I was standing. Would have been at least a concussion.

Young and stupid. Back in 1980 my brother and I were doing a Black spruce contract Spruce grows quite densely in the swamps so imagine you have a square block of timber containg a 1000 cords of standing timber.The block has been ribboned off. You open up your first face by falling against the ribboned line on one side then fall against two more sides so you can cut the side that has favorable wind.Last skid of the day starting to think about the girls and beer at the bar I hung up a spruce in another spruce I had 15 spruce so it was a full load for the skidder,I would get the tree first thing tommorrow .Well the wind was changed the next day and heavy snow I never got back to that face for a week or so .It was still half dark I was half hung over I started falling my first load about three trees later I was smashed into the snow by the hung up spruce .Thank god I was wearing a hard hat It flattened me and my brother had to cut me out when he came back with the skidder He reamed me out four ways from Sunday I deserved it.I got even about a month later he rolled the TimberJack because he had the load hanging out and it caught a stump and he did not release the main line in time.It actually looked kinda comical the skidder on her back and him standing there cursing and swearing.
Kash

So far, I cut off the bottom (off) side of the hinge on a slight back and side leaning oak.

I was able to wedge it up and over into the lay with what hinge was left but it was real sketchy for a few minutes...below it's lean was power lines, phone box, and the only road in/out of this sub division. So it would have been an absolute mess. I was pretty green and a bit over confident.

Luckily, I was looking up like I was supposed to be, so as soon as the top started I quit because I knew what I did. I was mega pissed off at myself about it, but that probably saved me a LOT of headache that day.

bentBar.jpg

Good sized gum tree. Had two jacks in it but were chinese and bypassing at just a fraction of the stated tonnage (never again will I use Chinese crap - they were cheap but cost me way more in the long run) so I eventually had to help it on it's way, backwards, with this bar stuck in there. It was too risky to put a line in the tree as my tractor only weighs about 5 tonne dripping wet and this tree was at least three times that. I didn't dare risk it. Not with a steel cable. Maybe with a synthetic rope i could cut in a hurry...

Sorry, didn't read "saw related".

This happened 5-6 years ago....

I needed a couple cords of logs to finish some orders. I forget why we didn't bring out a log truck load. Maybe scheduling or something. It just worked out that it was easier to grab what I needed vs waiting anyhow.

I went out to our logging job and brought down a few pulls to the landing with the skidder. Usually we'll run the feller buncher for a day or two and have several days work of skidding to do, so not uncommon to have downed trees still in the woods.

Got the delimber going and figured out the controls as it was the first time I'd used it beyond just moving it around. Pretty much excavator controls since it's a retrofitted Komatsu 220 excavator, but they do different functions. ~60,000lb or so machine... 3 stage stroke delimber.

Loaded my 1 ton dump truck with the delimber. Managed to not destroy the headboard or plywood sides, which was pretty good with no experience and the old tired machine.

It's about dark, I hadn't been able to figure out how to run the topping saw, so I just had cut the logs into ~16ft lengths with a chainsaw.

Got the truck loaded and strapped down and by this point it was pretty well pitch dark out. I set the perfect running ported Stihl 460 near my truck.. "out of the way so I don't run it over" and tracked the delimber back to it's parking spot using the one or two working lights on the machine. Mostly keeping an eye to not hit my truck as it was a bit of a tight spot on the landing.
I swung around to set the boom down and I see a white piece of plastic poking out of the dirt and brush.
I got that pit in the stomach feeling, like when you get pulled over...
"NAH.... it CAN'T BE"!

Yup... ran the saw over, right across the powerhead.
Was able to salvage the bar and chain somehow, but the rest was junk. Broke the case, cylinder, crank, etc.

Did read "saw related".
I set the perfect running ported Stihl 460 near my truck and tracked the delimber back to it's parking spot using the one or two working lights on machine.
I swung it around to set the boom down and I see a white piece of plastic.

Yup... ran the saw over, right across the powerhead.
Was able to salvage the bar and chain somehow, but the rest was junk. Broke the case, cylinder, crank, etc.
Bet your heart just dropped after the realization? Ouch :omg:

Had a bar pinch felling a big Hemlock with some center rot.
A big fat tree...the face cut chunk Was solid but directly behind was hollow I discovered....
I could Sort of tell when I did the back cut... was just too easy on the saw.
The tree hung up on some branches, Hinge broke.. tree popped back and landed on my bar on the stump... all happened in an instant.
It was a narrow window between trees to fall the damn thing... I should have had it roped to pull into the open lane.
Fortunately I was using a saw with internal clutch... Pulled the PH off let it set overnight and got out block chain and rope the next day.
Could have ended much worse.

Turned most of the tree into Lumber for our Shop so the reminder will be around.. (once I get the damn thing built).

Safety to all y'all

Latest posts

Back