Your chain of choice on a 50 cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like that sp33 x-cut .325/50ga on my 550xp.

15772054585294615417989471545009.jpg

Decided to pick up a loop of full chisel .325 Oregon and compare it to the sp33 x-cut. Gonna be honest, real world, just cuttin' down and bucking up some dead maples without getting out the stop watch, I don't see much difference.

I have 3 .325 set ups, 21lpx, 21bpx and a speed cut bar and chain.
When its sharp the 21lpx is just a hair faster than 21bpx and about the same as the speed cut but after a half tank of gas its starting to get dull and slow down, then the 21bpx is faster.
The speed cut is probably the fastest over the run of a day cutting, its real close to full chisel speed wise but you can go 2-3 tanks before sharpening it. I touch the full chisel up every tank.

+2

Unless you are in really clean wood it doesn't take long for DPX to make up the lost ground to LPX in actual use. I touch up all my chains after each tank of fuel or between outings, whatever comes first.

Been doing this now nearly 50 years and have found that it's just easier on the engine, the bar and the operator in the big scheme of things.......Cliff

View attachment 782579

Decided to pick up a loop of full chisel .325 Oregon and compare it to the sp33 x-cut. Gonna be honest, real world, just cuttin' down and bucking up some dead maples without getting out the stop watch, I don't see much difference.
What's your opinion on how long it stays sharp compared to full chisel? That is where I think it is better, stays sharper longer. Agree with you on many chain styles, when cutting firewood, really do not see any big difference on speed. Ran a loop of Stihl Square chain against Oregon Round ground chisel and round was faster when wife timed my cuts, that was on a 24" Cannon 50ga bar powered by a Miller Mod 390xp.

What's your opinion on how long it stays sharp compared to full chisel? That is where I think it is better, stays sharper longer. Agree with you on many chain styles, when cutting firewood, really do not see any big difference on speed. Ran a loop of Stihl Square chain against Oregon Round ground chisel and round was faster when wife timed my cuts, that was on a 24" Cannon 50ga bar powered by a Miller Mod 390xp.

You know, I'm really new to the semi-chisel stuff. All my saws in the past sported full-chisel 3/8". But I did clean up a bunch of brushy stuff and I flush-cut a pile of stumps with that sp33 and it kept right on going when I know full-chisel would have been toast.

Stihl chain is excellent but right out of the box it pretty much requires a few strokes with a good round file to be at it's best. Oregon is better right off the reel, but these days I touch ALL of it up before I head to the woods as I don't want any surprises in that area....I want to cut wood not piss with half-ars sharp chains, etc.

When I first started cutting my main saw was a Husqvarna 480CD with a 20" bar. I also had a 24" for it if/when needed. The ONLY chain I'd even look at was full chisel, if you ran anything less you were a "sissy".

Now that I'm about 40 years older I've developed a great respect for semi-chisel chain and have outfitted most of my saws with it. The loss is cutting performance is minimal. The fact that it doesn't grab your ars and pull you into the log with as much authority fools the operator into thinking full chisel is faster and doing a better job all the way around. After a dozen cuts, especially if the wood isn't super clean you'll be wishing you were using semi-chisel instead.......IMHO......Cliff

I have 3 .325 set ups, 21lpx, 21bpx and a speed cut bar and chain.
When its sharp the 21lpx is just a hair faster than 21bpx and about the same as the speed cut but after a half tank of gas its starting to get dull and slow down, then the 21bpx is faster.
The speed cut is probably the fastest over the run of a day cutting, its real close to full chisel speed wise but you can go 2-3 tanks before sharpening it. I touch the full chisel up every tank.
I use Oregon 21LPX .325 .058 on a 16" bar (21LPX066G chain with 168SLGK095 bar) on my 550xp. Cuts very fast!

I agree with your assessment in the second half of the tank the 21LPX starts to dull a tad. 2 strokes per tooth with a file and it's back to razor sharp. I already have a few extra chains but would like to try 21BPX as well. It does stay sharp a lot longer than LGX.

Stihl chain is excellent but right out of the box it pretty much requires a few strokes with a good round file to be at it's best. Oregon is better right off the reel, but these days I touch ALL of it up before I head to the woods as I don't want any surprises in that area....I want to cut wood not piss with half-ars sharp chains, etc.

When I first started cutting my main saw was a Husqvarna 480CD with a 20" bar. I also had a 24" for it if/when needed. The ONLY chain I'd even look at was full chisel, if you ran anything less you were a "sissy".

Now that I'm about 40 years older I've developed a great respect for semi-chisel chain and have outfitted most of my saws with it. The loss is cutting performance is minimal. The fact that it doesn't grab your ars and pull you into the log with as much authority fools the operator into thinking full chisel is faster and doing a better job all the way around. After a dozen cuts, especially if the wood isn't super clean you'll be wishing you were using semi-chisel instead.......IMHO......Cliff
Cliff I'm totally with you. Yes chisel is faster and funner when comparing and cutting cookies. It looks cooler on the saw. But when your trying to get the work done and the sun's going down...there I am filing feverishly with the saw on the tailgate instead of the log. One thing I will say-full chisel forced me to learn how to sharpen.
As far as 50cc saws running 3/8 is kind of strange. Most of the mfg advise .325" 261,550,etc. But years ago I had husqvarna 51 with and open port 55 top end and I tried 16" x 3/8 and it didn't bog like I thought it would.

Latest posts

Back