Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Your coldest weather

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by sirbuildalot, Jan 1, 2018.

1. panolo

panolo ArboristSite Operative

Jan 18th 1994 was the first. Gov Carslon closed us down if I remember correctly. My dad was in Vegas and my car wouldn't start so I borrowed his Caddy. Blew a front axle. It was under warranty and the dealer took almost two hours to come tow it 6 miles from their shop. Glad it wasn't a head gasket or anything or I would have froze.

Jakers, Conquistador3 and svk like this.
  2. lfnh

lfnh Addicted to ArboristSite

1st of new year bottomed out around the greenflash - 15 f at river station Wyoming mid 90's bottomed at - 36 f

Logger nate, svk and Jakers like this.
  3. Johnny Yooper

Johnny Yooper ArboristSite Operative

oh man, where do we start for those of us who spent most of their life around the Lake Superior area:cold: Back in the day, wasn't unusual to have a good number of below zero days; classmate and I always had a contest once we got to school in the morning to see who had the lowest temperature, could never beat her, they lived in a valley outside of town so she always had me by at least 5F; I remember whenever I'd have -30-something on the thermometer she'd hit minus 40 something. Had about a 1/2 mile walk to school and one time got about a block from home and my eyeglasses broke from the cold. Another time me and the hunting buddies were staying out at deer camp, plenty below zero, next morning went out to start the car to head to town (probably for beer) was so cold I snapped the key off in the ignition, buddies figured it was gonna be a long walk to town (no cell phones back then), but I crawled under the car, retrieved the spare key, dug out the broken piece in the ignition with two pocket knives, then warmed up the spare key (learned quick that morning) and the old girl fired up and off to town for some Strohs. Ahh.....the good old days:crazy:

panolo, Logger nate, svk and 3 others like this.
  4. Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob Addicted to ArboristSite

Coldest I ever saw it, was -62F...

Once it hit about -35F, as it got colder I couldn't tell much difference...

SR

Logger nate likes this.
  5. Guswhit

Guswhit ArboristSite Guru

Probably 2011 or 2012 we spent a week with nights between -25 to -35. My dad insists that the '78-'79 winter was colder, but I wasn't really old enough to remember anything except for the walk from the house to the barn to help milk the cows. Anyway, we had deep frost and lots of frozen water and sewer lines in the small village I was working in. I know I personally I burned through a crazy amount of wood in my old central boiler 5036. Not knocking the stove completely because I did have a few issues with the install that probably would have made for better performance. Whoops, sidetracked.

6. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot ArboristSite Operative

It's currently 1 degree here, supposed to get down to -6 tonight, a high of 1 tomorrow, -13 tomorrow night and a high of 10 for Sunday. At least it's cold everywhere. Mother Nature doesn't discriminate. Just wish old man winter would stop blowing. It's the wind that gets you.

7. Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob Addicted to ArboristSite

It was -4 F here this morn., it's a balmy +9 right now...

SR

8. Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor Edwin

Around here, coldest was mid-January 1984. For three days in mid-January it never got above -15 F. Low hit -29 F. Avg temp for the period was -19 F. The gas company set the all-time record for a 72-hour delivery. The pipeline delivered more gas for heating than it was ever designed to handle. Wind chills in central Iowa and eastern Nebraska reached -50 F. Nothing has come close to that since.

On the evening of January 14, 1984, I threw a glass full of tap water up in the air while standing on my back patio. Wind was blowing at about 20 mph. Ice hit the ground.

Jakers likes this.
  9. bartman23

bartman23 ArboristSite Member

Screenshot_2018-01-06-00-55-35.png Temps in °c. Finally catching a break been over two weeks of -20. It was -36 this morning before wind chill. Little under half cord since Christmas in the stoves has kept the place nice and warm.

10. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

Not sure how to measure the temperature ? Get so many different numbers . The van said 10 at home read 22 . Mom lives 2 blocks away could be 5 degrees different .

11. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

My wife took the Christmas tree down yesterday and re arranged the room back to normal. She called me in to look behind the hassock that was pushed in one corner. The corner is on the outside wall of our family room. Behind the hassock was a layer of ice on the wall, Joe.

12. Northerner

Northerner ArboristSite Operative

Seen -49f on my vehicle thermometer this morning. Coldest one of the winter so far.

13. Timber1972

Timber1972 ArboristSite Lurker

Yesterday morning at 6am it was -40 and with the wind chill it was -50. Glad there was not much of a wind.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

14. derwoodii

derwoodii Tree Freak

hmm it might just get to zero celsius or 32f one or 2 days in the early morning in winter,, some even swap shorts for pants

Mr Anderson and Jakers like this.
  15. al-k

al-k ArboristSite Operative

0214160708-1.jpg that was last year

16. Ykmajik

Ykmajik ArboristSite Lurker

As one of the more northern members here I thought I'd pop in here. We have had daytime highs in the -30c's for the last 4 weeks up here. Except last weekend, it warmed up to -23c in the daytime. Coldest I personally have ever seen is a day time temp of -51c. Not sure what happens this cold snap everyone is talking about.

Jakers likes this.