Your coldest weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that the winter of 95-96 was the first time we ever got out of school for a "cold" day.

Jan 18th 1994 was the first. Gov Carslon closed us down if I remember correctly. My dad was in Vegas and my car wouldn't start so I borrowed his Caddy. Blew a front axle. It was under warranty and the dealer took almost two hours to come tow it 6 miles from their shop. Glad it wasn't a head gasket or anything or I would have froze.

oh man, where do we start for those of us who spent most of their life around the Lake Superior area:cold: Back in the day, wasn't unusual to have a good number of below zero days; classmate and I always had a contest once we got to school in the morning to see who had the lowest temperature, could never beat her, they lived in a valley outside of town so she always had me by at least 5F; I remember whenever I'd have -30-something on the thermometer she'd hit minus 40 something. Had about a 1/2 mile walk to school and one time got about a block from home and my eyeglasses broke from the cold. Another time me and the hunting buddies were staying out at deer camp, plenty below zero, next morning went out to start the car to head to town (probably for beer) was so cold I snapped the key off in the ignition, buddies figured it was gonna be a long walk to town (no cell phones back then), but I crawled under the car, retrieved the spare key, dug out the broken piece in the ignition with two pocket knives, then warmed up the spare key (learned quick that morning) and the old girl fired up and off to town for some Strohs. Ahh.....the good old days:crazy:

Coldest I ever saw it, was -62F...

Once it hit about -35F, as it got colder I couldn't tell much difference...

SR

Probably 2011 or 2012 we spent a week with nights between -25 to -35. My dad insists that the '78-'79 winter was colder, but I wasn't really old enough to remember anything except for the walk from the house to the barn to help milk the cows. Anyway, we had deep frost and lots of frozen water and sewer lines in the small village I was working in. I know I personally I burned through a crazy amount of wood in my old central boiler 5036. Not knocking the stove completely because I did have a few issues with the install that probably would have made for better performance. Whoops, sidetracked.

It's currently 1 degree here, supposed to get down to -6 tonight, a high of 1 tomorrow, -13 tomorrow night and a high of 10 for Sunday. At least it's cold everywhere. Mother Nature doesn't discriminate. Just wish old man winter would stop blowing. It's the wind that gets you.

Around here, coldest was mid-January 1984. For three days in mid-January it never got above -15 F. Low hit -29 F. Avg temp for the period was -19 F. The gas company set the all-time record for a 72-hour delivery. The pipeline delivered more gas for heating than it was ever designed to handle. Wind chills in central Iowa and eastern Nebraska reached -50 F. Nothing has come close to that since.

On the evening of January 14, 1984, I threw a glass full of tap water up in the air while standing on my back patio. Wind was blowing at about 20 mph. Ice hit the ground.

Screenshot_2018-01-06-00-55-35.png Temps in °c. Finally catching a break been over two weeks of -20. It was -36 this morning before wind chill. Little under half cord since Christmas in the stoves has kept the place nice and warm.

Not sure how to measure the temperature ? Get so many different numbers . The van said 10 at home read 22 . Mom lives 2 blocks away could be 5 degrees different .

My wife took the Christmas tree down yesterday and re arranged the room back to normal. She called me in to look behind the hassock that was pushed in one corner. The corner is on the outside wall of our family room. Behind the hassock was a layer of ice on the wall, Joe.

Yesterday morning at 6am it was -40 and with the wind chill it was -50. Glad there was not much of a wind.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

As one of the more northern members here I thought I'd pop in here. We have had daytime highs in the -30c's for the last 4 weeks up here. Except last weekend, it warmed up to -23c in the daytime. Coldest I personally have ever seen is a day time temp of -51c. Not sure what happens this cold snap everyone is talking about.

Back