Your favorite bar chain combo .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what I like, LOL.

Well built (shaved, ported, unlimited coil, dual port) 390 XP with a 32" Reduced weight or conventional 34", Full Comp Square 63 gauge, 7 tooth sprocket for the stump.

I ran 8 tooth off and on, and they are good in a ported saw, but I think I prefer the torque of the 7. As for the stone, I am finding out I really like the Salmon colored wheel. Need a bandaid???? LOL

I have a YZF 426 that is going up for sale....gonna replace it with a new hot rod 880.

You know what I like, LOL.

Well built (shaved, ported, unlimited coil, dual port) 390 XP with a 32" Reduced weight or conventional 34", Full Comp Square 63 gauge, 7 tooth sprocket for the stump.

I ran 8 tooth off and on, and they are good in a ported saw, but I think I prefer the torque of the 7. As for the stone, I am finding out I really like the Salmon colored wheel. Need a bandaid???? LOL

I have a YZF 426 that is going up for sale....gonna replace it with a new hot rod 880.

I wouldn't be able to let that go. Got a 250f sitting in my garage collecting dust.. rebuilt the top and and went threw it now its just relaxing and losing value.

I like a 385 or 390 husky with a 24" stihl bar oregon lgx chain hand filed.

I like the modded 390's (although it's technically against the rules here now!), mainly 36" bars, 7 tooth sprockets, full house chain, Pro Sharp grinder with a blue stone. That being said, I still pick up my 394's/395's every now and then when in nice wood. Just can't beat the power to burn!

Last edited:
I like the modded 390's (although it's technically against the rules here now!), mainly 36" bars, 7 tooth sprockets, full house chain, Pro Sharp grinder with a blue stone. That being said, I still pick up my 394's/395's every now and then when in nice wood. Just can't beat the power to burn!

Full comp is nice when you have a grinder, huh? LOL

My favorite combo is any saw that runs good with a sharp chain. . .

A dull saw will tick me off quicker than anything. . . One of my biggest peeves.

I like what I have, because I don't want to spend more money on a different setup. For me, I like the decomp button. My 032 did not have one and starting it was an wrist wrenching experience.

I don't try other saws out at the GTGs because I'm afraid I won't like what I have...Twinkle and Barbie (440s with 28" bars) skip chain that is round fileable because I have to cut stuff that isn't always laid out ideally, or buck up mudslide wood. I'm not a faller and am just a part time bucker of stuff in roads.

My Fav So Far

My modded 362XP with a 24" Power Match Plus bar and full comp Windsor round ground full chisel bit chain.:)

Id say my fav to run is my ported, milled, MS 460, 8 pin, 25" bar, off the roll RSC. Lots of wood has died to that combo.

. You east coast guys need to learn what a SHARP chain is .... It s not your fault . you guys just never Had to pull a long bar in big wood and have the boss almost run you off because your VHAIN wasn,t near perfect ....

You da man Coast :) . 394 s a pro sharp and a blue ceramix stone ..

. You east coast guys need to learn what a SHARP chain is .... It s not your fault . you guys just never Had to pull a long bar in big wood and have the boss almost run you off because your VHAIN wasn,t near perfect ....

i am a southerner, not an east coast guy...there is a difference. Here we cut hardwood, not soft wood, so ill stick to the round ground chisel. :)

Now n, so no one gets POed ...... I know different woods and cuttibg conditions requyire different chain ... .. Mi favorite combo was an Ace Morgan hot rodded 394 with a 36" Oregon Pro bar ( the shiny bar ) and semi skip 75CKX the Dura Pro chain in 3/8 nthat pulled a 404 size kerf ....And an 8 tooth sproket .....Chisel ground with my small motor Sim,imgton 451A .. 32 degree top 75 degree side with the nriders filo plated to 35 thou......... Bushlin in S.E. there was good money in snag stobs ..Hemlocks with a shell and a bunch of mush inside .. The semi skip Dura pro made a wide enough kerf the bar would slide in ther kerf easily , as easy as a bar could anyway .... ..A;so getting the root off red cedar blowdown or any bad buck ... NOT GETTING HUNG UP = MONEY and not getting hot amd bothered :censored::censored::censored:...I don,t think I was ever man enough to maximize that saw .. But I fave it a good run ....

Typed with new comtacts anmd no reading glasses .... can,t really see the letters of the key bpard and I never actually learned to type

Last edited:
Back