Your most enjoyable or memorable logging moment thus far is...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
Still wet behind the ears, mine has to be using an old but perfectly maintained 100CC husky on what was at that stage one of the biggest trees I'd ever dropped. No decomp valve, a manual oil plunger (oil tank filled with car oil), oooozed low-down torque that made you think it would break chains before stalling. Great saw, tree, outcome. Won't ever forget that day.

I really can't talk about it, I'd definitely get banned for the rest of my life.

The second most memorable moment, more like a glimpse or a window of time that I'll never forget, took place 4 years ago. It was a landscaping gig, I was thinning the south side of a moraine. It was spring, late April - early May. I climbed up to the top for a refill. Very warm weather it was and I was pouring sweat. I noticed that my belt lying on the ground was attracting small bright blue butterflies. Sweat butterflies, they've got a taste for the minerals. Quite a common species of the pine forests. It was just that I had never seen so many of them on a single spot. My belt was soon covered with the blue wings. I sat down and stayed still. The butterflies landed on me and sucked my sweat. They seemed to love it. I saw more of them coming out of the woods. Within 10 minutes I had a full living blue jacket. That was surreal - butterfly logger - a psychedelic trip!

I sat there until the sweat dried and the butterflies returned to the woods.

That was my hippie moment, I guess.

Still wet behind the ears, mine has to be using an old but perfectly maintained 100CC husky on what was at that stage one of the biggest trees I'd ever dropped. No decomp valve, a manual oil plunger (oil tank filled with car oil), oooozed low-down torque that made you think it would break chains before stalling. Great saw, tree, outcome. Won't ever forget that day.

Sounds like the old 2100CD I have, good old saw, just dont set it down on a hill running, LOL

Cary

So you say but you don't seem to be trying very hard to let it happen.:buttkick:

I am trying. I really am. But when the phone rings and it's a real juicy job for good money, it's hard to say no. I do say no quite a bit and I pass on more work to other guys than I take for myself. And that makes me semi retired. :msp_wink:

I was 11 or 12 years old leveling and packing down fill with a D-3 , that my dad was pushing down to me with his D-7

Cary

Falling hazard trees inside the fence this winter was pretty memorable for sure. I dropped one big DF growing right next to a HQ-type building while a clerk inside watched out the window with an envious look in his eyes. I thought to myself, "yeah, I'd want to be me right now, too!"

My largest hardwood, a low forked red oak that according to the forester, " had to be layed just right" in order for it not to separate the forks. I could tell by his tone that he was sure that it could not be done, hah, whatever. I had good long ground to lay the forks flat, it was easy pezy. . . I don't know what his thinking was telling me that mess, knowing that it would have to be ripped at the mill,(oversize). Seems like it would have been easier to power rip it. The forks graded better than the first run anyways. I thought that was kind of funny. .

The day I paid cash for my first skidder, twas a big day for me. I didnt stop grining for a week.

I am a 3rd generation in this way of life. It was about 10 years before my dad and I got to work together. I was working for a logging co during the week and running my own skidder on weekends. My dad wanted some extra cash so I told him come on up. We worked together every weekend the whole winter. One day he said he nvere thought he would see the day he would be working with me now he's working for me. That was 3 or 4 years ago. My skidder is sitting with the motor half pulled out and has been since that winter my dad and I worked together. The other moment was when I went to visit my grandfather and he handed me a piece of paper ans said "I cant do this anymore. It's yours now." I looked and it was a bill of sale for my Clark 664. People try to buy that skidder or tell me I should just get rid of it. No way. My grampa gave me that skidder and if I have my way it will run again and will be buried with me.

Most memorable?
That would be realizing I was still alive as my sight was coming back, while I was trying to crawl out from under the Doug Fir that had hit me dead center of my MacT.

Andy

My most memorable part of logging was, One day I was out cutting dead falls and soft woods for a snowmobile club and I felled the tree and the top broke and a widow maker fell and hit both shoulders. Nearly killed me. I soon realized hard hats are a good thing.

I am a 3rd generation in this way of life. It was about 10 years before my dad and I got to work together. I was working for a logging co during the week and running my own skidder on weekends. My dad wanted some extra cash so I told him come on up. We worked together every weekend the whole winter. One day he said he nvere thought he would see the day he would be working with me now he's working for me. That was 3 or 4 years ago. My skidder is sitting with the motor half pulled out and has been since that winter my dad and I worked together. The other moment was when I went to visit my grandfather and he handed me a piece of paper ans said "I cant do this anymore. It's yours now." I looked and it was a bill of sale for my Clark 664. People try to buy that skidder or tell me I should just get rid of it. No way. My grampa gave me that skidder and if I have my way it will run again and will be buried with me.

NH . Whats down , engine , 53 Detroit ?

Latest posts

Back