Your Opinions Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its funny but my wife says Iam short yet Iam taller than her. Iam a bit disproportional though with short legs and long arms an torso.I always thought the taller guys had the advantage.
Iam 43.6

I am 24.......25 in May. I agree with most of what is said here. Its about the confidence and intelligene of the climber and not necessarily the physical properties that the climber has. ANyone can be great at climbing with a little natural coordination and knowledge. I am far from the best climber I can be but I will get there one day.

Brett, wife, kids, home, buisness.... close your eyes the kids are taller, the house needs paint, you dont look in the mirror when you shave. Then someone points out the gray hairs....

Got ya covered thar JP; now if ya don't race to the ground and tie the standing end of my line to the tree like the last 4 times, so i have to re tie in 5x to get down. I might have enough time to join ya showing these green-groundies how to technique and super power the logs and brush around with a plan and power in tandem, so they'll know why we were wondering what they been doing!

Of course if anyone else copies your lil'act of stranding me up here longer than i need to be, they might notice it starting to rain! After all, this is your rope, not mine!!!!! Hey, iw anted one that has been safety tested!!

Jeff Jepson and I competed against each other in gymnastics in high school. Unknown to each other, we were in the same gym 6 or 7 times in my senior year. We've talked many times about how well gymnastics prepped us for tree climbing and even more for the TCC. Seeing a tall gymnast makes it look like they might be better than a short gymnast. We think that it might just be that a long, tall body in motion si more noticeable. It might be a combination of height and build too. A taller climber might not have to make as many moves as a shorter climber so it may look easier. In actual fact, I think the ease is in the climber's head.

Next week is out TCC. I'm the head judge at the Work Climb so I'll have the opportunity to see all of the climbers. During the day, I'll pay attention to height/build and see if there is any correlation.

Tom 48.75 6'2" 180 Grey hair :) What's left!!!

Well, Tom, I'm a bit older, lived in a different city, but would competed against ya in gymnastics if only i'd known...!!! LOL

53.24321 yrs, 68.34 inches, 161 lb, and wild and crazy as ever....

see what I mean over at my new thread......

...ole gray beard....

In rock climbing, short people can make the long reaches throught finesse, agility and smarts. Tall folks do just fine, of course. I think
Lyn Hill did the first free ascent of The Nose, on el Capitan, and, as women go , she is short!!!!

When I was a competitive track and field athlete, I used to long for a taller body with longer legs for such events as the hurdles, long, and triple jump. I guess I didnt know about folks like Charlie Greene, current 100 meter world record holder, who is 5'8", I think.

Last edited:
Mmmm, yes the gymnast question/connection, what better prep for climbing and torquing your body around, realizing its true range,a nd how to command and call diffrent sets of muscles confidentally to diffrent tasks with clean mechanics?

i think on the concentric power moves, less clearance on flips short/stockier has advantages. But on sweeping grace and leverage of swing and reach the longer guys have it!

Maybe when leverage is against, shorter is better, when leverage helps, longer is better?

Leverage against - Iron Cross, LSeat or their gut racking combination!

Leveage Helps - Whipping HiBar Giants, or Whipping releases

i guess is what i meant!

o P.S. 44, ~5"5', 130, size 7, never mind!

Last edited:
Back