your opinions please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today I went to one of the few houses that I still work at. This is the one where they are doing the "renovation." Each time I have met the customer (only about 3 or 4 times) he has emphasized how much he likes his trees, and how much he cares about them. I have talked with him many times on the phone as well. Over the course of this "renovation" that he is doing to the house, I have seen MANY things that have damaged the beautiful, mature maple trees that he has on the property. I have told him about them, and he has either shrugged them off, or asked me for a price, and nothing ever comes of it. Today he told me that he will be using somebody else for the new landscape installation who he is finding through his landscape architect. He did welcome me to talk with him after I am done with school.
I am EXTREMELY tempted to write this man a letter saying something along the lines of: it has been a pleasure working for him, however I am dissappointed that he says he cares deeply about his trees. Yet he has not once had any work done to back that up, or tried in the least bit to protect them from the work that was being done around them, which will ultimately lead to the demise of at least one 30" DBH sugar maple.

We get along pretty well, me and this guy. However, all the times I have asked him to get me in touch with the LA he has not come through. Most of the trees on this property need work, between bracing, SEVERE crown reduction, structural pruning, and possibly a removal or two. I would like to get him to have me do the tree work while I am home for the winter break.

So... any thoughts???

Who needs him?

Dump him , forget the letter, he's wasting your time and blowing smoke up your a$$. Probably through no fault of your own, he has decided to go the route that his LA has suggested, which involves dumping you and using his own lackey. Lots of people "like" trees but I don't think it is the same kind of "like" that an arborist has. Any letter you write will have no positive effect other than allowing you to vent. His priorities clearly revolve around the renovation work.

why do you keep going back? after going there twice and not getting work out of it, why bother. how much time do you have invested in the estimates all ready. writing the letter will only help you vent, but it won't change him.

i've just seen it too many times where the customer gives you the whole story about how he loves tree's. he bought this property because its like a park blah blah. so you lay out the whole job, what to prune, what to remove,what to plant, fax ins cert. then you drive by and see some one else doing the job all half ass. because all he realy cared about was the price.

just chock it up to learning. i hated spending more than 10 min on an estimate.

Ken- I was doing "regular" property maintenance at this place this year, which included cleaning up the leaves, and cutting the lawn, along with some other BS stuff. I did wind up cutting down 2 sugar maples for him this spring, one of which I regret. So I guess I got about $8 - $9 thousand out of him this year. I had done soil tests though, and other things which he paid for of course.

Mike- I lost this account because I don't have enough time to be able to work on his landscape install. However right now I do have enough time to do any and all tree work there. Interestingly enough... all the trees on that property are sugar maples, except for a couple of hemlock "hedges" which are more like 15 - 35 feet in height. I wonder who will prune them in the spring like he wants to do... :(

All that butt kissing.... for nothing :angry:

thats a little more clear. from what i read before i thought he was just a tire kicker. a letter couldn't hurt then. he may respect it and let you do the tree work. send him a card for the holidays or new years.

I think kf_tree is right. Now that it is clear that what type of work you have done for this guy, a letter may be good. I won't hurt. I had the same thing happen with one of my lawn cutsomers. He wanted to big pines taken down, so I quoted him a price. Another larger company was in the area already doing a job. When they quoted a price, the customer called me and ask me if I could beat the price. Unfortunatly I couldn't. I was up front with customer and he with me. I (my company) still have his yard and he sent my two family members trees to do. Don't burn any bridges.

rwilk

As always just my oppinion. Let it go. No letter. If your good he will get back to you at a latter time. Most likely to do the removals on the damaged trees. Just maybe he has to or is listining to his higer power. As in his wife or something.

Rwilk- Prices were never an issue with me and this guy. I quoted a price, and if he was going to have the job done... I was going to do the job.

Sonny- I will be sending this guy a holiday card anyways, so somehow or another I will have some form of contact with him. It's funny you should mention the wife bit. She doesn't like me too much (we got into a fight over something stupid this year and I always dealt with him). The husband and I get along fine, but from what I am hearing... this project is her baby... so we will see what happens.

If you send a letter I'd stay away from telling him what a slacker he is and how he is hurting his trees, etc... I'd just do some kind of final summary type thing where you explain what at this point you think need to be done on his property, that you are willing to consult with the LA, that you appreciate his business and look forward to working with him again in the future.
Greg

Perhaps years ago I would have written him a letter. This has happened to me several times.

Now, I have come to understand just because a person loves his trees, it does not always mean "in our sense."

Writing him a negative letter will do nothing to improve your situation. I would just cool off and forget it. Maybe he will call you in the future.

We can only educate the public, what they do with the information is ultimatley in their hands.

My average estimate usually last 1/2 to one hour explaining proper techniques..

Also understand there is a thing called cashflow. It does not matter how much cash you have, but how it flows. People are very sensitive to this reguardless of income.

I have know people with jets and mansions that are putting off tree work just because their portfolio devaluated by 10-12% with the market decline/correction. The may still be worth 80+million but they feel the pinch.

It all trickles down.

They may not sell the polo ponies but they are not buying new ones either.

In most consumers' minds, tree work can wait until next year, it is not that pressing to them.

Just maintain contact and be available. Get to know the landscape personnel too.

my .02 - Nate

Thanx you guys for all your different points of view. I will try my best to integrate them all when I do contact this customer.

I might send a letter, separate from the holiday greetings, expressing regret for your not being able to fill all his needs, but that you will remain available for his tree needs and any questions he may have. Realy appreiciate the past buisness and look fowrd to working with him in the future.

Have someone else vet it to ensure there is not even the hint of negativityan or disapointment.

I wouldn't write a letter... Tell him personally.
It will have more effect on this homeowner if you say "I'm trying to do my job and you are making more problems. The effects of construction damage may take years before the tree dies and delayed tree maintence can mean more costly repair and/or removals later. Call me when you want the work I have already explained to you."

Explain that an LA wants it to look nice now but you want long-term health and safety. I have seen many jobs by LA's that plant all the trees, shrubs and flowers too close for immediate effect but without long-term care it creates more problems.

Yeah Paul- you found me. I would have a hard time telling this guy in person, because as I had said earlier... I have only met him face to face 3 or 4 times since I started working for him in March. He will be moving up to this house from Long Island come early next year. Hopefully I can work on him then.

Latest posts

Back