Your opinions pls. on this single line set-up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frans

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just put this together and am wondering how it measures up to the AS members
Frans
ps LARGE PICTURE

Pic downsize

Frans your gona need to down size that pic to get any viewers, especialy those coming in by modem.

Jack

Smaller Picture...
Upper ascender/rope grab is a CMI
which is connected by a Petzl ball lock biner to an ISC ascender. The connecting rope binding the two ascenders together is a "Glide" bridge (I could not think of anything else to do with the thing)
The pulley with my climb line threaded through is a Harken Padeye block
Frans

Thanks Rocky
I like the use of the Glide Bridge to connect the two ascenders seems clean
Frans

I just learned how to push the main button on my wife's digital camara and you want a video posted?
I'm gonna go have a nervous breakdown

For us inquiring minds, what do you do with that rig once you're up in the crown and in 'work' mode? Do you clip the CMI upper ascender/rope grab , the Petzl ball lock biner, the ISC ascender, the connecting "Glide" bridge, the pulley and the Harken Padeye block to your saddle, or do you work off of it throughout the crown? It doesn't look in any way to allow you to abseil or easily adjust downward.

Do you really need all that hardware to ascend a rope? Clearly not, but mebbe you're experencing some level of swiftness and efficiency I am not able to imagine. What might be the advantages over a simpler system, say, just a backed-up ascender?

I'm very intrigued as to the advantages to justify the time in setup, stowing away, time on and off for the occasional re-route and cost of the system. What are the magic properties?

Or are you using the rig as a tie-in point off a single rope and you're using DbRT off the pully with a Rope #2? Do you set rope #1, attach rigging, hoist high into the tree, anchor rope # 1, a la SRT and your rig setup is now the T.I.P.? Trying to understand. Please clarify.

What is the pulley made out of? Isn't Harken a boating complany?

Not criticizing just curious.

Also how do the ropewalkers compare to gibbs and petzl ascenders? The bigger clip in hole much of an advantage or disadvantage?

Rocky,

Would you find the ANSI citation for being attached to the rope with a backup?

Snarf,

Some questions...

Is the pulley attached to the handle of the ascender?

If so, how?

If you attach the cord directly to the eye on the CMI ascender, bypassing the biner, you will have better redundancy I think.

I get a bit nervous about hardware chains. Clipping three pieces together makes it more likely to get a cross load on the biner. On a couple of my setups I have used pieces of fiber reinforced plastic tubing as stoppers. Wrap them around the biner and tape them in place. Have you considered using a screw link instead of a biner?

I've been working off SRT for a while. Being concerned about protecting the rope that goes down to my Gri-gri at my anchor point is important. But, it is just another detail that I pay attention to. Think of the awareness we need to have when a takedown is out in the middle of a field where we can airmail everything and not worry about property damage. Now, put that same tree in the middle of a garden with valuable obstacles. Do you pay closer attention? I expect my crew to be bright enough so that I don't have to worry about them putting me in danger. If they can't handle something as simple as this, I would be very worried about other, more complicated, things that they couldn't grasp. Think of how exposed to danger we are when we drive to the job! We are putting our lives in the hands of all of the other drivers on the road. Maybe that's why there are over 50,000 people killed on the roads and maybe in the low hundred arbos killed in trees. Where is the real risk? I'll go to sleep now before I get going about smoking... :)

Tom

Tom asked me:
Is the pulley attached to the handle of the ascender?
Yes
If so, how?
Harken has an attachment which is really a captive pin with a cotter pin holding it in place.

If you attach the cord directly to the eye on the CMI ascender, bypassing the biner, you will have better redundancy I think.

I agree, the reason I did not was because the glide bridge I was so eager to use constructivly is a little too short to allow me to advance it so the CMI takes up the primary load. So I attached it to the biner.
Mark C. rec. placing the CMI below the handled ascender but I am nervous about having the pillow block attached to the CMI for some reason the handled ascender seems more beefy.
I did not consider using a quick link but I'll put one on there and see how it fits in with the other gear. The big advantage with a biner is being able to quickly take the rig apart.
Frans

Latest posts

Back