Your thoughts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sac-climber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure how I want to approach the following situation and would appreciate your feedback.

Multi trunk Chinese Pistache, 16" avg. DBH with 5 trunks. Tree is in an apartment complex between a fence and sidewalk. Originally called out because of a broken limb but upon inspection the tree has a moderate case of bacterial flux and most concerning is a relatively large girdling root. Honestly though, I'm not that concerned.

I think the tree could benefit from a nice prune job and adjustment to the surrounding irrigation. The HOA is entertaining the idea of removal. This tree provides great shade for one of the building and I think it would be a shame to remove.

What say you?
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg Looks like someone tried to do pull ups on it to me...there is no logical reason this branch should have failed.

Root is girdling where it will likely graft; ok. Flux from TOO BIG a branch being removed. The broken branch moved more with that one gone, so pruning TOO BIG of a branch was a proximal cause of failure imo. So the HOA made the problem and now wants to kill the asset. Brilliant.

Light reduction of other sprawling limbs + adjust watering = a plan.

Root is girdling where it will likely graft; ok. Flux from TOO BIG a branch being removed. The broken branch moved more with that one gone, so pruning TOO BIG of a branch was a proximal cause of failure imo. So the HOA made the problem and now wants to kill the asset. Brilliant.

Light reduction of other sprawling limbs + adjust watering = a plan.
My thoughts exactly....there is flux at intermodal ares and on the trunks as well. It's pretty widespread but I've never seen a tree die from wetwood.

The root almost looks like its begun to graft, a little hard to see in the pic.

That root is not a problem for that tree. Its growing over another root. If you look at the total percentage of the tree's critical root zone, that root makes up a very, very small percentage of it. If you are really concerned about it, cut it. You'll be surprised the amount of tension on it.

That root is not a problem for that tree. Its growing over another root. If you look at the total percentage of the tree's critical root zone, that root makes up a very, very small percentage of it. If you are really concerned about it, cut it. You'll be surprised the amount of tension on it.
I totally agree with you, when I included it on the report it threw up flags for the HOA. I prefer to just let it be, I just have to convince the owner of the same.

Roots crossing stems seldom graft; roots crossing roots often graft.

Simple concept. It gets tricky in the flare, but if it's stem tissue best to cut. In this case, mulch over it so people won't get excited. ;)

Where's the other flux? How does it smell?

I should also mention this tree was also noted in an inventory conducted last year about the same time. Pruning was recommended and the HOA didn't act. Comparing notes and photos it doesn't look like the flux is worse.

Strange; the only time I saw stinky flux up and down a tree in any quantity it died real quick; massive root damage.

In any case soil replacement is one treatment, if it gets bad...

It smells if you rub it. Hardly any smell to it just on the tree. It seems to follow drought stress, or in the case of oaks, heavy summer watering.

Its really interesting how thing react regionally. That's what I love about this forum, there is so much to learn.

Not sure how I want to approach the following situation and would appreciate your feedback.

Multi trunk Chinese Pistache, 16" avg. DBH with 5 trunks. Tree is in an apartment complex between a fence and sidewalk. Originally called out because of a broken limb but upon inspection the tree has a moderate case of bacterial flux and most concerning is a relatively large girdling root. Honestly though, I'm not that concerned.

I think the tree could benefit from a nice prune job and adjustment to the surrounding irrigation. The HOA is entertaining the idea of removal. This tree provides great shade for one of the building and I think it would be a shame to remove.

What say you?
View attachment 355164
View attachment 355165 View attachment 355166 Looks like someone tried to do pull ups on it to me...there is no logical reason this branch should have failed.

No logical reason!? Dude, like are you a certified arborist or something?

No logical reason!? Dude, like are you a certified arborist or something?
Ouch! I looked at it from ground level. It appears to have been a relatively strong attachment and kids play in the tree which led me to a very elementary conclusion. Shed some light here brother don't just insult me. I'm here to learn!;)

Ouch! I looked at it from ground level. It appears to have been a relatively strong attachment and kids play in the tree which led me to a very elementary conclusion. Shed some light here brother don't just insult me. I'm here to learn!;)

Well it doesn't take a brain surgeon, such as myself, to see that its a major codom with a lot of leverage which actually defies logic staying up!

Even if it wasn't a codom and broke anyway there is always some logical reason that one not need to be very keen to figure out.

I was taken aback when you said you didn't see a logical reason for the limb to fall. It does not look anything like a strong union and would be something I would do something about especially if I knew there were kids playing in it.

I
Well it doesn't take a brain surgeon, such as myself, to see that its a major codom with a lot of leverage which actually defies logic staying up!

Even if it wasn't a codom and broke anyway there is always some logical reason that one not need to be very keen to figure out.

I was taken aback when you said you didn't see a logical reason for the limb to fall. It does not look anything like a strong union and would be something I would do something about especially if I knew there were kids playing in it.

I think the pic is a bit deceiving. The attachment point is not actually below the one in the photo, its in front of it. It has peeled back and twisted into its final resting place on the fence. I am guilty of being dramatic though....there is always a logical reason, you are correct.

I

I think the pic is a bit deceiving. The attachment point is not actually below the one in the photo, its in front of it. It has peeled back and twisted into its final resting place on the fence. I am guilty of being dramatic though....there is always a logical reason, you are correct.

I can see it just fine, unless its trick photography. I can see NO branch collar and the included bark at the start of the rip.

I can see it just fine, unless its trick photography. I can see NO branch collar and the included bark at the start of the rip.

I don't remember seeing evidence of inclusion on the other side but it does look suspect now that you have brought my attention to it. You do have very valid points, thank you. I guess I made a rushed judgement. I'll try and get better pics when we're out there for the job.

Cut me a little slack, this was a Friday before a week long vacation...I was pretty checked out:p

Back