Youth of today?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBleedOrange

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I started a side job today to drop 6 trees and haul everything away. I ask a neighbor kid a few days ago to help haul the branches to the trailer while I cut. I thought $8 dollars cash per hour was a good incentive (plus bonus if we finished b Friday afternoon) for a 16 year old. Well, this morning his mother stopped by my house 15 minutes before we were schedule to leave to tell me her son is feeling "like he might be getting a cold" and would not be able to help today. I accepted the reason and thanked her for letting me know. Not 15 minutes later as I was loading the truck he went whizzing by my house on his dirt bike. He couldn't even wait until I left the house before going out to PLAY! The sad thing is he was the most promising of all the young men in my neighborhood, the rest just want to sleep until 2:00 pm and have everything given to them.

Starting at thirteen I worked everyday after school for my neighbor who owned a landscape company and all summer long. I have always had a job (except for a couple years in college, the GI bill money was enough to live on for a while). The tree job is now taking three times longer than it should since I have to stop cutting to haul everything to the trailer.

Is it just me or is the youth of today spoiled? OH no....I'm starting to sound like my grandparents!!!!!

I noticed this trend 20 years ago, when I asked the kid upstairs if he wanted to help make a little table, he says sure. Gave him a ruler to measure the wood, he didn't know what to do with it, 13yrs old, couldn't tell time on his Mickey Mouse watch either(analog).

At eight years old I was subbing paper routes, and at 12 had 10 lawn/snow jobs.

They eliminated walking paper routes around here awhile ago, how is a kid supposed to learn a work ethic, money handling, responsibility, independence?

Bah, off soapbox.

Is it just me or is the youth of today spoiled? OH no....I'm starting to sound like my grandparents!!!!!

Yep! Didn't know my grandparents that well, but for sure I have turned into my dad! Not a bad thing though.:D

I have two daughters. One has terific work habits and will help anyone at any time and then there is the other one. One excuse afte the other.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

So which is your favorite?:D

Omg

heh...8 bucks an hour cash...i would have helped.

Yur damn rights I woulda. He11, I do it now just for exercise and don't make a dime. Your right dude. Our youth is pathetic in the most literal sense of the term nowadays with the very very rare exception. Probably why kids are so FAT and just like a lot of their parents. Over 60% of americans are overweight with over 30% being obese. Americans are turning into a fat lazy bunch of sissies. But think about it. Everything is geared for food, the exercise equipment people use is only made to make them eat more, lmfao... Everything is made lighter and easier to use for less work. It's technology. And the sad thing is even though they get fatter and lazier, they live longer because of that same technology. I call it Existing, not Living. Just my .02...:cheers:

Yur damn rights I woulda. He11, I do it now just for exercise and don't make a dime. Your right dude. Our youth is pathetic in the most literal sense of the term nowadays with the very very rare exception. Probably why kids are so FAT and just like a lot of their parents. Over 60% of americans are overweight with over 30% being obese. Americans are turning into a fat lazy bunch of sissies. But think about it. Everything is geared for food, the exercise equipment people use is only made to make them eat more, lmfao... Everything is made lighter and easier to use for less work. It's technology. And the sad thing is even though they get fatter and lazier, they live longer because of that same technology. I call it Existing, not Living. Just my .02...:cheers:

Agreed. Add in those damn video games that preoccupy kids these days and we got it all!

Hope you don't mind my story. I had a younger friend helping for a while and it was going pretty well. $15.00/hr cash. Job consisting of drilling holes for plumbing rough ins, loading and unloading tools. After working for me a few days here and there, he told me no thanks. Work was just too hard! Egads!!! :blob2:

Kids now days don't know what real work is. They expect everthing right now instead of working awhile and earning it. I try to teach my kids work hard first and then go have fun. Fun is alot more fun after working hard.:dizzy: :dizzy:

3 for 3 so far

So far i'm 3 for 3 with my boys. All have jobs, 2 are married and have children or children on the way, my second's wife is going to have twin boys, and my last is working and going to school full time. My youngest boy, 19, told us about his day at work. He works at the local ski resort as a lodge jockey. He said the woman in charge kept asking him if this was done and if that was done and he had everything under control and was ahead, working on stacking wood for the next day. He said that she wasn't used to a teenager who did his work, and didn't get stoned on lunch. Must be the clean living and my wife's wooden spoon when they were younger. :biggrinbounce2: I got 2 more girls at home that help spit and stack without making a big deal out of it and they both cook and bake like champs. That's why I need to keep doing wood! Anyone got 2 boys out there?

Millman

I'm 27 myself and plan on burning wood for our new house. I have been slowly clearing land, about 5 acres, myself with a small New Holland tractor and my MS441, instead of paying someone.

As a teen I held several paper routes, mowed yards and worked 2 jobs at a time during high school. I worked during college and now make a good living as a Honda tech at the local dealer.

I have my parents to thank who always found a job for me to do and kept me busy in sports and other school activities.

I blame laziness on upbringing. Too many parents these days just give their kids too much without anything in exchange.

I got two girls, 6 and 3. To early to really tell but I think we are doing a good job. When asked they will help, i.e. pickup toys, put bathroom towels in laundry etc. Only time will truely tell.

I blame laziness on upbringing. Too many parents these days just give their kids too much without anything in exchange.

I find that my son is more than willing to help with anything. I just have to have the patience to let him (he's 4). I know it would be faster to just do it myself, but he helps with laundry, raking leaves, whatever!

I had a similar experience a while back that I addressed in the chainsaw forum.

Read about it Here.

I do worry about young people nowadays. I am not sure how you teach a work ethic. It always seemed to me that you either got it or didn't by virtue of how you were raised, and that it wasn't a specific lesson that a parent would teach. Part of it, I'm sure, does come down to kids spending so much of their time doing things that are useless - video games, online chatting, playing with their multi-function cellphones - and not getting out in the real world and doing real stuff with real people.

Oh well, sooner or later it catches up with the lazy kids when they grow up and real life sets in.

Latest posts

Back