Youth of today?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That kid's mother needs her butt kicked for letting him get away with it. I've never missed work because I felt like I was getting a cold. Might as well be sick at work and get paid for it as lay on the couch at home and feel sorry for yourself because you're sick

Manual labor is a foreign concept to today's youth. And some folks wonder why we are being over-ridden by illegal aliens?!?!?! :censored:

I would make sure the kid's mom knew he was on the dirt-bike right after she left, that way she knows you know the truth . Who knows maybe she didn't have a clue he was lieing to her. I typed another page on this subject before i realized
I had went on a rant. Its absolutely ridiculous the way people are today. I heard 1 guy recently bragging how he had got his kids on a toy program for Christmas,then asks me if i know where he can cash a large check, is he a tard or is this our new society?

Part of it, I'm sure, does come down to kids spending so much of their time doing things that are useless - video games, online chatting, playing with their multi-function cellphones...

...posting on Arboristsite!

Got 1 worker + 1 lazyboy

Got 2 boys
years 10 +13
Both are over 200lbs. (Yea their big)
The youngest one will help split, haul, and stack Somewhat reluctantly
But gets out there and does it per my request.
Also I pay him for his efforts when we sell our firewood
The other?
Can't dinamite his rearend off the chair in front of the computer.
Nicknamed him Herm (for Hermit)
Doesn't ever come out of his cave.
Go figure Hea?

However, I told the oldest one that he has 5 more years of a free ride.
After that, he is an adult, of 18, and we are no longer responsible for him.
So with that said. I told him he will be tresspassing on private property. And if he doesn't leave, I'll have him arrested....................:hmm3grin2orange:
He doesn't appreciate that statement very much!
But it makes him think about it.

Kids DON'T RAISE themselves. Your ????? is with the PARENTS. And when I say parents I really mean americans. We are lazy. This is why people come from south of the boarder and do our hard work. If we send all this illegals home who will do the work. That brat on the motorcycle? Wake up americans.:angry:

It's all that rock and roll that's ruining todays youth.
Theyve got tv too, and in color.
When I saw that elvis feller a humpin and a twistin on Ed Sullivan the other night, I knew we were in for big trouble.

That kid's mother needs her butt kicked for letting him get away with it.

and THAT is the problem...not the kid. the mother let him get away with it, and even called and made an excuse for him.

like driving cars or being on a computer...kids are not for everyone. no wonder we need those nanny 911 people!!

proud of my girls

Just got in from the woods. Had the 13,9, and 8 year olds with.They all worked real hard today, just had to listen to the teenager wine about it tho. Cut up tops for a while and then had the teen haul 12 foot logs to the landing area with the skidsteer while I dropped and topped them. She does real good. Probably better than some guys I have seen! The wining stopped as soon as I told her"The more you wine the longer we'll work".
The 8&9 yearolds are happy just to get to go along with dad into the woods!

Last edited:
lazy kids

I sell firewood and begged neighborhood kids to split wood for 10.00 cash. Can't get anyone to show up. Go figure!!! See one of the kids working at a grocery store a couple of weeks later( making min. wage) ask him what's up agout splittin', says he would rather work at the store, It's easier. AND PAYS HALF AS MUCH!!!!! looking for a used small processor as the only person I can depend on is myself!!!

I wish it were just the young kids. With them there is at least time to fix 'em. Since to many of the people here I would be considered a kid, I'm right in the middle of this. The college I went to had a posting for an internship oppertunity with the guy I am working with. This is a school that is full of guys that want to get into forestry, but for some reason when an oppertunity with some physical labor appeared, only four people have shown interest in it over two years now. But all the interships that take a nice walk through the wildflowers or put them in the audience fill up quickly.

Last summer I worked with a guy up near his 30's doing a bunch of saw mill work. First guy I met who ran a mill that literally thought he was beyond carrying boards (he really did tell me this...then I laughed and called him a few derogetory names). If we ended up with four 6X6's at the end, he would sit back and watch me carry them all over to the pile. Not that I minded the work, it was more the commentary the whole time. Of course he would move some lumber when it was being lifted by the backhoe. He calls himself and equipment operator, but if you ask the, the only thing he ran well was his mouth...he was one cocky SOB.

That kid's mother needs her butt kicked for letting him get away with it...

Yes she does! I've got a pretty simple outlook on things like this, and on addressing problems in general, which is that you're either part of the solution or you're part of the problem. This woman is not part of the solution!

Extrapolate her behavior to to how she acts at home (her inclination toward assigning chores to kids, etc.), and I'd bet she's contributed heavily to this kid's "style". For her to have been the one to deliver the excuse in inconceivable and unconscionable. The only positive thing I can say about it is that at least she didn't just leave IBleedOrange hanging.

I wonder about dear old dad's role in all this. Would he have approved, tolerated, etc. the kid's behavior?

The kid's on the fast track to worthless, and if he even knows it (probably doesn't), then he doesn't care. Glad I wasn't in IBleedOrange's shoes on this one, as I'd have been pissed enough to probably do something stupid like go to the house and confront the kid.

BTW, I've got two boys, 22 and 18. They were my groundies on my takedowns this past summer, and voluntarily assisted with cleanup, splitting, stacking, etc.

I tried to pay a young teen $15 an hour to pick up branches and stack them in my truck a few weeks back. EASY work, all the branches were less than an 1" thick. Dude made like I was wasting HIS time, and hauled about 6 branches in the hour. Complained on his cell phone to his buddies the whole time. I got fed up, paid him $20 for the hour, sent him on his way with a $2 bus stub, said i'd finish up.

Drove down to "Workers Lane" where you pick up day workers, hired a guy in his 50's that clearly injected and drank, drove him to the site. He not only cleared up the huge pile of branches lickety split, he grabbed a rake and cleared up the tiny stuff, followed directions exactly when i had him pull on a rope, swept the sidewalk, helped the homeowner pile firewood and did'nt b:censored: once during the 4 hours. Paid him $20 an hour for the 4 hours, plus a $20 extra, made him a huge homestyle lunch and drove him home at the end of the day, with a ready to eat dinner and lunch for whatever he worked at the next day. Guy thanked me with a handshake, said he really appreciated the work, the bonus and thanked me twice for the food.

As we slouch towards senescence (as a species), fitness, the outdoors, the web of life all become as irrelevant as yesterday's papers. "For worst of all young man, you've got industrial disease."

Back