Yukon-Eagle Super Jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no problem,just trying to help...cant wait to see what you get,will need picutres and reviews.

Looks like I will be doing some homework on the Kuuma and Caddy. There is a Caddy dealer about 100 miles from me. I will give them a call tomorrow and get a price and info. It will be too cold to do much of anything else.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm sure I will have more questions later. As you did Stihly, I want to make sure I make a good decision. I don't want to say
"I should've" later.

Stihly,
On the average how much wood do you go through? I know there are alot of variables but roughly. Right now I am going through about 6-7 cord a season with the fireplace and not getting the whole house heated.:(

I'm doing the whole house and basement at around 70 except when the wife wants it warmer plus hot water with 5 cord. This winter is colder than last but still on the same pace.

I'm doing the whole house and basement at around 70 except when the wife wants it warmer plus hot water with 5 cord. This winter is colder than last but still on the same pace.

I can handle that. Never have to here the wife say it's cold. I too will be heating basement.
I am going to call Kuuma tomorrow and get some solid numbers for furnace, water heater core and pipe.
I read your thread on Kuuma plus others and understand there is a long lead time on units. But worth the wait.

I have a tundra. / heatmax works great its high tech and automates its temperature. . It heats a 2000 sq ft house at 72 + in 20-30 degree days no problem .its very much like the caddy but not quite as refined it uses same firebox and technology. . I'm sure a drolet like mine would do the job and use a lot less wood ( price is right too) . Mine is really great on wood use and burn times are awesome When filled up . Wood burning has come along ways since jimmy carter was in office . You need true secondary burning technology to see all the benefits . The kumma looks great but at 5 grand your going to have a huge initial cost .compare burn times wood use and cost and the drolet tundra is hard to beat

I can handle that. Never have to here the wife say it's cold. I too will be heating basement.
I am going to call Kuuma tomorrow and get some solid numbers for furnace, water heater core and pipe.
I read your thread on Kuuma plus others and understand there is a long lead time on units. But worth the wait.
This is what I was calling on to find out what everything would cost off there price listed .I tried calling 6 times today, they must have been taking a lot of calls with this cold snap we are in.

Beefie

This is what I was calling on to find out what everything would cost off there price listed .I tried calling 6 times today, they must have been taking a lot of calls with this cold snap we are in.

Beefie

I tried calling all day. Something must have been wrong with phones. I sent them an e-mail this afternoon with my questions.

^^^I think Steve NW WI sent 'em on a lil camping trip after they posted all those new EPA regs threads...either that or their phone lines were just plain frozen! :eek:

I finally did get a hold of them , Must have talked for a good hafe hour. I think I talked directly with the owner, who is a huge packer fan. He is going to send me some information to me in the mail. Said the water coil for the hot water system was a $200 option and its the same one they use in there sauna wood burner. Says it drops his electric bill $25 a month from just the wood heating the water. From what I understood it mounts on the exterior of the stove but underneath the air shield.

He also told me that they were at least a month out. He believes in quality not quantity. Only 8 people work there. So far I am impressed.
Beefie

I finally did get a hold of them , Must have talked for a good hafe hour. I think I talked directly with the owner,
He also told me that they were at least a month out. He believes in quality not quantity. Only 8 people work there. So far I am impressed.
Beefie
Likely you talked to the old man that designed those units, surprised you only went for half hour, I hear he'll talk your ear off!
If you have the money to spend on one, I don't think there is a finer forced air wood furnace anywhere! I know I personally have never heard one negative word about them...

Likely you talked to the old man that designed those units, surprised you only went for half hour, I hear he'll talk your ear off!
If you have the money to spend on one, I don't think there is a finer forced air wood furnace anywhere! I know I personally have never heard one negative word about them...

I believe you are right on the the owner. He likes to talk. So far I am impressed, he did not try to push a sale on me , He first wanted me to get the brochers and look it over to see if I would like it. He didn't ask for my phone number to call latter. No push at all.

I think he noes that he has the only wood gasification forced air furnace on the market. It will sell itself .

Beefie

The man is passionate about wood heat and his furnaces. I never had a problem getting a hold of them, but damn it's nice to talk to the designer if there is a question. Not like the large outfits that are just reading from the manual that you already have and read. A real genuine fellow, I would love to sit and have a beer with the man, could learn a lot.

And American made with American steel and parts.

Beefie
He has to take the phone off the hook sometimes if he wants to get anything done:) I tell him he should only work in the office and oversee but he's much more of a hands on guy... He's really working on getting out the next 10 furnaces because the people are counting on them soon.
You think he would have a second line voicemail right?? When I sent them over to install he sent them away:) He's done things his way for a long time and it's pretty hard to change!

He has to take the phone off the hook sometimes if he wants to get anything done:) I tell him he should only work in the office and oversee but he's much more of a hands on guy... He's really working on getting out the next 10 furnaces because the people are counting on them soon.
You think he would have a second line voicemail right?? When I sent them over to install he sent them away:) He's done things his way for a long time and it's pretty hard to change!

That would explain the busy signal, I do understand when you need to get something done and the phone never quits ringing. That's really neat that he is so involved in the building of his stoves.

Beefie

I have no experience with the big jack/ super jack line of furnace but I own a Yukon Klondike furnace. I had been using a Royall indoor boiler before hooking up the Kondike that heated the house very well. I was sold on the Kondike's secondary burn, savings in firewood, and easier operation. If I remember correctly the Klondike is rated at heating 3000 sq. ft. and with heating my basement I'm heating about 4100 so I figured that would work it good and hard and keep the chimney clean evening if I had to add wood more often. Well.... it does have secondary burn when it's got a roaring fire going but when the draft closes is smolders and builds up TONS of creosote in the chimney. When running the boiler I could clean the chimney once in the fall and be good for the whole year. Right now there is so much creosote in my chimney I don't know if I'll be able to get my chimney cleaner down to the bottom without hanging it up. Don't get me wrong, it's a well crafted furnace and built solid, but they designed these things in the 70's and haven't changed the firebox design at all. I'm not sure when the Jacks were added to the line up but it seems to be about the same technology. As of right now I have my boiler hooked back up as it heats the house better and the chimney stays a lot cleaner. At the time I bought the Klondike I had never heard of the Kuuma's but I wish I would have looked a little harder and bought one of them. My cousin owns two of the VP 100's and has zero creosote problems. I've been to the place they build them in Tower, MN and talked with Daryl and it made me wish even more I had bought one. The price is higher than the Big Jack and even the Klondike I have but to me it would be worth it. Sorry for the long post... just wanted to share my experience!!!

What I seen the drolet has the right price but can't much info on them . I ran a foxfire for about 20 years never had a creosote problem clean it once a year done it had a 8 inch pipe . Bought a shelters this year gummed up fast had a learning curve the 6 inch pipe I still don't like .I really like the shaker grate on the shelter the foxfire did not have a shaker. How hard is the drolet to clean out the ashes ?

Back