Yukon-Eagle Super Jack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD2010

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am getting an information packet sent. I am seriously thinking about an add on wood furnace. I have not done any homework, just starting to.

Kicked around a fireplace insert but I think a furnace would be better. Plus I can will still keep fireplace for the ambiance.

Any feedback on this unit or others?

I have one, it does a good job at heating my drafty old 2400 sq. foot house (single pane leaky windows, insulated but has a lot of air sealing issues). 8-10 hr. burn times are easily achievable with oak and coals for 12-14 hrs. It's built like a tank but unfortunately it isn't using the latest and greatest burn technology, but that doesn't really bother me. Unless you burn smaller hotter fires it will smoke a bit but not bad. Creosote has never been an issue, I clean my chimney once a year and don't get much out of it. All in all I'm happy with it.

There used to be a rep for there wood furnaces here, Think it was Crappi keith. Havn't seen him post in a long time. I looked at them as well, sopposed long burn times using 16" long splits. My old hot blast hasn't died that I need to look but have looked at the Yukon in the past. Top of my list.

Beefie

I was originally looking at a Yukon, but they use the old tech. Much better units out there in close to the same price range. Unless you have an 8 in chimney, as newer units need a 6.

I was originally looking at a Yukon, but they use the old tech. Much better units out there in close to the same price range. Unless you have an 8 in chimney, as newer units need a 6.

What units are better? I can use what ever size flue is needed, I will be installing from scratch. I will be building a bump out from wall for flue.

I had a Yukon Big Jack, which is the same furnace except the Super Jack has a secondary heat exchanger that the BJ does not. Like was previously mentioned, they are very well built, great warranty, Etc. My experience with their customer service has been good.
Not the cleanest burning units, they claim to have secondary burn, but what I found was that it only happens during high burn (combustion blower on) and even then only right after a fresh load of wood. I had to clean my chimney quite a lot. Ultimately I switched it out for a Yukon Husky Multi fuel furnace for a variety of different reasons. I'd give the BJ 5 out of 10, I guess I didn't hate the BJ, cuz it is in service at my sisters house now. She has had better luck with it than I did, but they burn slab wood and it is chewin through a PILE of wood!
If I had it to do over again I'd look at PSG Caddy, Drolet Tundra/Heatmax (is having some first year model hiccups, but still worth a look, especially for next year) and if ya wanna do it really right, check out the Kuuma Vaporfire. Stihlydan has one, I believe he is more than happy with it.

I had a Yukon Big Jack, which is the same furnace except the Super Jack has a secondary heat exchanger that the BJ does not. Like was previously mentioned, they are very well built, great warranty, Etc. My experience with their customer service has been good.
Not the cleanest burning units, they claim to have secondary burn, but what I found was that it only happens during high burn (combustion blower on) and even then only right after a fresh load of wood. I had to clean my chimney quite a lot. Ultimately I switched it out for a Yukon Husky Multi fuel furnace for a variety of different reasons. I'd give the BJ 5 out of 10, I guess I didn't hate the BJ, cuz it is in service at my sisters house now. She has had better luck with it than I did, but they burn slab wood and it is chewin through a PILE of wood!
If I had it to do over again I'd look at PSG Caddy, Drolet Tundra/Heatmax (is having some first year model hiccups, but still worth a look, especially for next year) and if ya wanna do it really right, check out the Kuuma Vaporfire. Stihlydan has one, I believe he is more than happy with it.

Thanks, I will take a look at these.

As Brenndatomu said, I have the Kuuma Vaporfire 100 and am more than satisfied with it. I looked hard for a good 6 months at all that was out there and believed this was the best. Enough so that before I installed it I removed my oil boiler. This is truly my only source of heat. The Kuuma has not let me down. I did a 1st year review on here awhile back, do a search if you want to read it. The Psg caddy also is a nice unit from there specs, also some very happy customers too. I personally would stay away from the tundra/heatmax for it's a cheaped out version of the caddy. When it comes to heat and snowblowers I want the highest quality, you get what you pay for.

As Brenndatomu said, I have the Kuuma Vaporfire 100 and am more than satisfied with it. I looked hard for a good 6 months at all that was out there and believed this was the best. Enough so that before I installed it I removed my oil boiler. This is truly my only source of heat. The Kuuma has not let me down. I did a 1st year review on here awhile back, do a search if you want to read it. The Psg caddy also is a nice unit from there specs, also some very happy customers too. I personally would stay away from the tundra/heatmax for it's a cheaped out version of the caddy. When it comes to heat and snowblowers I want the highest quality, you get what you pay for.

I have looked at the Kuuma and PSG Caddy online. Both look very well built.
Why did you you go with the 100 over the 200? My house is 1800 sq.ft. insulated well and tight.

I run a Caddy, and after burning in a non EPA unit, I wouldn't go back. No doubt a Yukon would heat your home, more than likely it's too big based on your description. It will idle and you'll plug your chimney as well as waste wood. A Caddy or a Kuuma would be a much better option, but also I wouldn't rule out a Tundra by Drolet. While there's been some stir on here, they are quite an upgrade from a standard furnace that offers clean burning technology. If you want a more top of the line unit then a Caddy, or a Kuuma would work.

I went with the 100 because I needed the whole furnace as I had hot water before. Second, with the computer you can run smaller loads if its to big, when it is as cold as it's been I would hate to be under sized. My house is also 1800 sqf not including the 1000 for the basement. I also get 60% of my hot water from the Kuuma.
On a side note, after I posted the last write up I had a guy come to the door desperately trying to buy some wood from me. I don't sell wood but have a small stock pile for the next 9 yrs. He was running out of wood. I agreed to sell him some smaller wood for a good price. He said that he didn't care about size his Yukon would eat anything and everything. He lives in my neighborhood and thought I sold wood not burnt, as he never saw smoke coming out the chimney. I showed him the Kuuma in action, and he is a believer, took all the info to look them up.

I have looked at the Kuuma and PSG Caddy online. Both look very well built.
Why did you you go with the 100 over the 200? My house is 1800 sq.ft. insulated well and tight.
Yep, the SJ will be too big for your place...
Also, PSG makes the mini Caddy, maybe a possibility for you?

Looks like I will be doing some homework on the Kuuma and Caddy. There is a Caddy dealer about 100 miles from me. I will give them a call tomorrow and get a price and info. It will be too cold to do much of anything else.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm sure I will have more questions later. As you did Stihly, I want to make sure I make a good decision. I don't want to say
"I should've" later.

Stihly,
On the average how much wood do you go through? I know there are alot of variables but roughly. Right now I am going through about 6-7 cord a season with the fireplace and not getting the whole house heated.:(

i have lil house out door wood heater,about 1600.00,been using for 5 years..... house temp right now 80 and its 14 outside with 20 to 40 mile winds

I have been looking at the wood furnaces listed. The Kuuma looks like a very well built unit. I think I will give them a call and find out what they cost. They even list Arboristsite on there website for very good wood information along with **********.

The old hot blast isn't handling this last cold blast to well, having the gas furnace kick in at night gives me the willes.

Beefie

I have been looking at the wood furnaces listed. The Kuuma looks like a very well built unit. I think I will give them a call and find out what they cost. They even list Arboristsite on there website for very good wood information along with **********.

The old hot blast isn't handling this last cold blast to well, having the gas furnace kick in at night gives me the willes.

Beefie

The prices are on website.

lil house outdoor wood heater new 1660 dollars on there web site heats my 1600 square foot easy,some times to much.....anyway just a idea to look at

Latest posts

Back