"Yukon Men" - getting firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the video. Chainsaw at 0:52 in video. :msp_scared:

<iframe id="dit-video-embed" width="640" height="360" src="http://snagplayer.video.dp.discovery.com/824747/snag-it-player.htm?auto=no" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

These guys are likely tougher than I am, but they could stand for a little training or a few tips.

Last edited:
Here's the video. Chainsaw at 0:52 in video. :msp_scared:

<iframe id="dit-video-embed" width="640" height="360" src="http://snagplayer.video.dp.discovery.com/824747/snag-it-player.htm?auto=no" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

These guys are likely tougher than I am, but they could stand for a little training or a few tips.
it could also help if he had a real "HUSKY" to do some work with.... lol a "HUSKY" that not only barks ! but eats wood for meals?:givebeer:

At least the tree came down, although in the complete wrong direction, I wonder if the bar survived, I couldn't watch the entire vid. LOL
I have only watched one episode and from what I could tell it's a wonder they even survive! Between boats getting frozen in the river, no firewood ready for winter and no food. Why would you even live there? Do any of them work?
I know these shows over dramatize but still, at least be prepared.
dave

I saw a part of this episode on Discovery Flanders. They did not say he was cutting it wrong or "the guiding notch is at the wrong angle", like it was the tree its fault for falling to the wrong direction and this just happens from time to time :dizzy:. Quit watching after I saw this, knew enough!

What is this snow machine that he speaks of. I've got a feeling that everyday is a long day for that guy.

Yep, not hard to figure out why this guy is behind in his wood supply. I'm just a firewood hack but thinkin I could have put that where it needed to go.

for the money!!

dj1, alaska has a "pay you to live here " from the oil rites along with no sales tax i here.... native alaskans are issued a state check for their just being there im guessing? so why work like "sara palin" just start and quit! everyone loves free money and booz....... im thinking hillbillies get a bad rap with the ways things look in most of their places ...... lol or a true welfare state! http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26564403/ns/us_news-life/t/alaska-residents-cash-annual-dividend/

Last edited:
"...but the guiding notch is at the wrong angle."

I also smacked my head when I heard this. The notch is at the right angle, but it's too deep and not clean. When he's making that sloping backcut (ugh), the notch looks like it goes almost 2/3 through the tree.

Come to think of it, he did it bass ackwards. The notch should have been 1/3 (and maybe smaller) and the backcut should have been 2/3 (minus the holding wood).

Before he even started to cut on that tree, I think he should have cleared the working area a little. I'd like to know what else came down with that tree.. That was about the time someone should have called.. "CUT!"

I just watched the show I am by no means anyone to talk on the way he cut that tree down but why use the sloping back cut? Also why wait till hard winter to cut wood? I think it's all for the show!! What kind of wood is that anyhow it splits really easy?
He said he needed 8 cord for the water plant but he was only hauling a few pieces on that snow machine sled.

There is no good reason to use a sloping/angled backcut. Folks who use it think it keeps the tree from falling back and even prevent barberchairs--but we see the video disproves that. Cutting at an angle makes it much more difficult to create the proper holding wood, and you can't use wedges very well.

Some have argued that you can indeed use wedges with sloping backcuts, but the physics are not in its favor. Instead of pushing vertically on the end grain (butt ends) of the trunk and stump, the force is partially directed in a much more horizontal direction, which can cause the stump to split along the wood grain.

Notch, horizontal backcut, leave holding wood, and wedge for best results.

seems like they're using some messed up definition of a 'cord' as well....

you'd have to fill up that tiny sled like 100 times to get a cord outta there

If somebody of the show reads this topic, they won't be cutting anymore wood next episodes :laugh:

Invite the guy to a GTG and show him how it's done guys! ;)

I loved this show during the 1st season. Seems like the 2nd season is more bs drama based for some reason. Think they ruined a decent show.

that seems to happen to all good "reality" shows. First season is great and draws a lot of interest. Following seasons get further and further from reality and more and more dramatic. i.e axe men lol.

I'll be honest, while I've never made the mistake of using an angled back cut like that, I've been guilty of trying to put a tree where it's more convient rather than where it should go and having it go a little awry. Happens to the best of us when we are in a hurry.

I can't imagine the hurry I'd be in if it were that cold and it was my sole source of income. Not saying he shouldn't know better, but it happens.

Latest posts

Back