Yup, more boot ?'s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treejunkie13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Gots 2 have some new calks. Yeah I searched threads and all that. My toss up is the sole. Spring or Block. I have always stuck with the spring sole. I'm interested in your opinion's. Kinda leaning towards Hoffman's or maybe the Danner Trooper's. My biggest concern is after their broke in getting the ankle roll going on ( I HATE THAT). Thanks much!

Ok, thanks. I am looking at some caulks also. Not sure what I want or if I really need them for firewood cutting around the farm. The traction they provide might be my only need.

I cut on alot of steep ground and in my opinion the spring heel is the best. I bought a pair of hoffmans with the block heel could only stand them for about 3 weeks and threw them in the closet and bought a pair of the Wesco timber boots, they have the spring heel. next to the my old whites the westco's are the most comfortable boots i've worn.

I cut on alot of steep ground and in my opinion the spring heel is the best. I bought a pair of hoffmans with the block heel could only stand them for about 3 weeks and threw them in the closet and bought a pair of the Wesco timber boots, they have the spring heel. next to the my old whites the westco's are the most comfortable boots i've worn.

how bout the calks on the wesco's - r they replaceable, standard or special?

Ok, thanks. I am looking at some caulks also. Not sure what I want or if I really need them for firewood cutting around the farm. The traction they provide might be my only need.

I wear reg boots all around, but when in the woods it's got 2 b calks... I will say once they r on my feet I usually don't take em off till I get home, so they do chew things up a bit, gas & brake pedals, wood stairs, gas station floors, etc.

I got the replaceable ones They come with a wrench to change them. i have not changed any yet but they look like you could use the regular old corks in them. if not westco sells the corks.

I got the replaceable ones They come with a wrench to change them. i have not changed any yet but they look like you could use the regular old corks in them. if not westco sells the corks.

curious, cause I know 1 or more boot maker's out there have their own calks with different threads then reg. and there is quite a price difference. I like 2 change mine out often, especially in the rocks.

not steel just stiffer, you can order them with toe caps though, a word to the wise if you get the regular (soft toe) don't try to kick big limbs off with them. i got the soft toe ones, my damn feet didn't hurt one day wearing the westco's basicly already broke in when you by them,unlike them hoffmans that damn near crippled me!

The Wescos have an "exclusive" calk. Exclusive means that the only place you can buy replacements is from them. I live in the land of abundant logging supplies, and only the boot store that was a wesco dealer and has since gone out of business had a few. The replacements cost quite a bit more than the common type, and do not last any longer. I'm on my 3rd set.
I had a problem with the left foot blooping out over the sole and after coming in sore and extremely cranky--a day visiting each cutter on a 90% slope, with that foot prone to rolling due to the bloop, went for a locally made brand of boot. Locally custom built too. I like my rubber Vikings better than the Wescos. Sorry, but that is my opinion.

The Wescos have an "exclusive" calk. Exclusive means that the only place you can buy replacements is from them. I live in the land of abundant logging supplies, and only the boot store that was a wesco dealer and has since gone out of business had a few. The replacements cost quite a bit more than the common type, and do not last any longer. I'm on my 3rd set.
I had a problem with the left foot blooping out over the sole and after coming in sore and extremely cranky--a day visiting each cutter on a 90% slope, with that foot prone to rolling due to the bloop, went for a locally made brand of boot. Locally custom built too. I like my rubber Vikings better than the Wescos. Sorry, but that is my opinion.

Slowp, I read 1 of ur posts mentioning ur custom boots and the boot maker telling u 2 go with the high heel... care 2 emphasize?

Slowp, I read 1 of ur posts mentioning ur custom boots and the boot maker telling u 2 go with the high heel... care 2 emphasize?

It would cost more for a spring heel. I don't know why. I've worn the new boots around a bit, had them on all day Saturday while cleaning up slash. The boot maker was correct, they have extreme ankle support. The Wescos were very comfy, at first, but then that slopover happened.

The Kuliens bad point, is that the soles are extremely stiff. I don't think they loosen up much, I had a pair when I first came here 20 something years ago.
The best part is, they are very water resistant, and the bootmaker is in the town I go for shopping. My first pair caused some pain in my achilles tendons, so he recut that part of the boot and sewed it differently, and the boots didn't hurt anymore. I'd worn Whites before moving to the Wet side.

Back