Yup, this is wood heat weather.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not quite, it's been so friggin' cold the blackberries haven't even budded-out yet, let-alone bloom!!
Blackberry Winter refers to a late-spring cold snap (when the blackberries are in bloom)... we ain't had any spring yet!!
Nothing is in bloom... heck, nothing has leaves... ain't even seen a single dandelion yet!!
It'll likely be June before we could have a "Blackberry Winter" (and the way things have been it wouldn't surprise me one single bit).

Ahh well here my alien buddy the black berrys bloomed :)

It's almost surreal...

Yesterday morning it was sleeting/raining, had the fire crankin', put on long underwear, and slogged through over a foot of snow on the way out to the shop. By the time I had the new (bias ply :msp_tongue:) tires installed on the golf cart the sun had come out, by 3:00 it was 60[sup]o[/sup], the neighbor and I sat in the sun and drank a box-o-beer, and by the time I fired up the grill (fire pit full of water) all the snow was gone... every flake melted. The day started with a foot of snow on the ground and finished as one of the nicest we've seen this year... the day before that, one of the worst. A stinkin' foot of snow on the ground yesterday morning... and today I could cut the grass if'n I had a mind to.

Maybe, just maybe, we've finally turned the corner with that last blast of winter... lookin' for near 70[sup]o[/sup] today, and for the rest of the week. Heck, in a week I could be complainin' about the heat and humidity :hmm3grin2orange:

Lmao, that's the poorest damn excuse for a white out I've ever seen.
Thanks for the chuckle. Lucky you had radials......
Oh come on, you know you woulda pee'd a little :laugh:

The cow is correct, about the only thing you can see in a true whiteout is your wiper blades... and then, only the part touching the windshield.
At the same time, I will say the camera sees more than I could... everything was quite a bit "whiter" to the eye.
It is the month of May after-all, maybe not a "real" whiteout... but, considering the time of year south of the 45th parallel, impressive none-the-less.

Oh... and how do you know I was running radials?? Hmmmm??

Last edited:
The cow is correct, about the only thing you can see in a true whiteout is your wiper blades... and then, only the part touching the windshield.
At the same time, I will say the camera sees more than I could... everything was quite a bit "whiter" to the eye.
It is the month of May after-all, maybe not a "real" whiteout... but, considering the time of year south of the 45th parallel, impressive none-the-less.

Oh... and how do you know I was running radials?? Hmmmm??

Obviously because you were stopped. If you were running bias plies apparently nothing short of a tactical nuclear penguin would even reduce your speed.

I will give you one thing, late winter snow storms suck. Hard.

Nature is doing some burning here. A fire broke out just a few miles to the west in logging slash. I think they got it knocked down, we'll see.
We had some major wind gusts out of the east yesterday and today is supposed to be the same.

I'm curious as to how the fire started. It is behind locked gates on private timber land.

It's almost surreal...

Yesterday morning it was sleeting/raining, had the fire crankin', put on long underwear, and slogged through over a foot of snow on the way out to the shop. By the time I had the new (bias ply :msp_tongue:) tires installed on the golf cart the sun had come out, by 3:00 it was 60[sup]o[/sup], the neighbor and I sat in the sun and drank a box-o-beer, and by the time I fired up the grill (fire pit full of water) all the snow was gone... every flake melted. The day started with a foot of snow on the ground and finished as one of the nicest we've seen this year... the day before that, one of the worst. A stinkin' foot of snow on the ground yesterday morning... and today I could cut the grass if'n I had a mind to.

Maybe, just maybe, we've finally turned the corner with that last blast of winter... lookin' for near 70[sup]o[/sup] today, and for the rest of the week. Heck, in a week I could be complainin' about the heat and humidity :hmm3grin2orange:

Nah you northern dudes don't know heat lol oh and btw if your black berries have not bloomed I would not plant the maters yet cause your still gonna have blackberry winter :)

Nature is doing some burning here. A fire broke out just a few miles to the west in logging slash. I think they got it knocked down, we'll see.
We had some major wind gusts out of the east yesterday and today is supposed to be the same.

I'm curious as to how the fire started. It is behind locked gates on private timber land.

I always hear of them fires out there and think it must be all those hippies smoking pot that got them started :hmm3grin2orange:

I always hear of them fires out there and think it must be all those hippies smoking pot that got them started :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, you won't like what they think the cause of this fire is. As I'm typing this the gusty winds have started up.

The suspected culprit is target shooters shooting tracers into the slash. Not a hippy activity, right?

I talked to a friend who lives right beneath the fire. Her husband and boys are operating equipment on it, after having pushed in a couple of lines around their house and their neighbor's house. He's got his water truck filled and parked at home, a cat, and an excavator. But, with the winds coming out of the east, they should be OK. They were afraid the wind was going to switch and come from the west.

A primer on logging slash. This is the start of what used to be burning season. The slash from last year and the winter is dry enough to burn, but the ground has enough moisture in it to not be fried. We used to start the insanity of burning unit after unit after unit this time of year, but we'd have hoses around each unit, a line cut in to keep the hose from burning, and the lines charged during the burn with people like me
spraying down the vegetation outside of the unit to keep spotting at bay.

Nobody burns like that anymore. So, this fire can hop from one unit to the next and burn even where the land has been replanted, because there are still pockets of logging slash left.

Western WA fires are difficult to put out. We don't get fires very often so there is a lot of duff build up and the heat goes deep. The good thing is there is usually lots of water to take advantage of.

And so it goes.

Last edited:
We had a rare dose of Santa Ana winds yesterday, hit 91, today we have fog and mid 50s.

We call them East Winds and it is ripping now. I need to go see what blew down on the back porch. I was going to saddle up Snuffy and pedal down to see if I could see the fire, but the wind would be a pain on the way back.

The forecast I use has tomorrow mentioned as another windy day. If they switch, I'll get smoked out. :msp_ohmy:

I watered my Rhoadies yesterday.

We had 25 knots worth out of the NE, the temps were up and down all day, as much as a 20 degree change in couple hours time. It was 80 at 9PM.

Weather is strange last 5 to 10 years for sure hope its not a precursor to a yellow stone eruption! A eruption at yellow stone will make mt st hellens look like a fire cracker compared to atom bomb.

Nah you northern dudes don't know heat lol oh and btw if your black berries have not bloomed I would not plant the maters yet cause your still gonna have blackberry winter :)

WE DONT KNOW HEAT??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!! come around, in the middle of the summer,,whens its about 100 deg,,and about the same humidity!!!!

Back