ZEN and the art of tree trimming.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yesterday I contracted a tree with a new company. A huge Dogwood tree.(I though they were all bushes) The Company who hired me had high expectations. The tree was a mess never been trimmed, but topped hard in the past by the power company.
It was an hour before any thing I cut made it to the ground the tree was that tangled. I had estimated the tree would take 2 hours. I I could hear their crew making smart ass remarks, The foreman was being a real A_ _.
my self was getting stressed because I couldn't see a trimmed tree in this mess or any progress being made. I seriously was at a loss, but kept removing a branch here, shorting one there. At 2 hours I started to see a form taking place. I was done in 2 1/2 hours. In that last 1/2 hour the tree some how was transform. The remarks from the peanut gallery changed, the costumer was very happy, The foremen was impressed and their going to start pushing ornamental pruning(They do mostly removals and roof clearances) I made a 100 dollars an hour.
When I think back, I had no idea of how to proceed in that tree, I was under tremendous pressure. What we call instinct, Buddhist call ZEN, acting with out thinking. Once I stopped thinking about what to do next, the tree trimmed its self(sort of speak).
Am I a complete nut job, or have others relied on ZEN to finish a job?(Am I a nut job is a rhetorical question:msp_smile:)

I didn't take none or was this tree some of my finest work. It was borderline ugly to me because of the top where I had to take down and thin all those suckers from the old topping cuts. I ended up taking out over 30% to establish a shape and structure. Oh no I wouldn't post this tree you guys would tare me apart:msp_biggrin: I did explain to the home owner that the tree would have a flush of growth this spring because of the heavy pruning I had to do to it and should be maintenance over the next two years or so.
Yes the rubes and inexperienced were happy, The tree now has a nice foundation and structure, and a good starting point. It wasn't done like I would of recommended, but no one asked my opinion.
Maybe I'll ask the foreman he took before and after pics, the tree does look nice, but its going to sure flush out this spring.

I gotta see this dogwood. Are you sure it was a dogwood? How can you tell?

Sounds like you are in it thick Beasty, tell them idiots I said shut up and start pulling hangers.

I remember the thread you made about being alone up there with basically no real ground support. These guys sound bad, watch yerself.

I was gonna write a book and title it " Tree Work and Other Antisocial Behavior" but I think I might be plagurizing.

Last edited:
Yesterday I contracted a tree with a new company. A huge Dogwood tree.(I though they were all bushes) The Company who hired me had high expectations. The tree was a mess never been trimmed, but topped hard in the past by the power company.
It was an hour before any thing I cut made it to the ground the tree was that tangled. I had estimated the tree would take 2 hours. I I could hear their crew making smart ass remarks, The foreman was being a real A_ _.
my self was getting stressed because I couldn't see a trimmed tree in this mess or any progress being made. I seriously was at a loss, but kept removing a branch here, shorting one there. At 2 hours I started to see a form taking place. I was done in 2 1/2 hours. In that last 1/2 hour the tree some how was transform. The remarks from the peanut gallery changed, the costumer was very happy, The foremen was impressed and their going to start pushing ornamental pruning(They do mostly removals and roof clearances) I made a 100 dollars an hour.
When I think back, I had no idea of how to proceed in that tree, I was under tremendous pressure. What we call instinct, Buddhist call ZEN, acting with out thinking. Once I stopped thinking about what to do next, the tree trimmed its self(sort of speak).
Am I a complete nut job, or have others relied on ZEN to finish a job?(Am I a nut job is a rhetorical question:msp_smile:)

Nah dude, Zen is bull####. Think about it ( hah, no pun intended) if you didn't stop to think about it would those guys still be alive? AHHHSOOO.

Last edited:
Anything from preventing the power company from coming through again and messing up you nice work?

Uhh, maybe the power of Zen? But if you look closely you will see all those Zen dudes were killed off... some even by their own hand.

How could I tell it was a dogwood? By its bark. ha ha
Truthfully I only know a dog wood when its flowered. They don't grow down here in the flat land. There are a lot of trees up in them mountains I haven't yet id'ed. Everyone told me it was a dogwood and they say it flowers like a dogwood, so that is all I am basing my ID on. The top was growing into the primarys a little it was that tall, and going by the size of the old top cuts(10 in. or so.)It must of been very tall. It had a 25ft spread also, though when I was done it was reduced a lot. There was so much clutter it was kind of easy to find a nice lateral to reduce and still make it look natrual below the top. It also was boxed in on its back side by a redwood and an Oak, so all the growth was concentrated on the south west side.
I had to come out of the tree twice and pull my own hangers, luckly it was easy to climb up and down.(I didn't have to do any of the clean up though)

How could I tell it was a dogwood? By its bark. ha ha
Truthfully I only know a dog wood when its flowered. They don't grow down here in the flat land. There are a lot of trees up in them mountains I haven't yet id'ed. Everyone told me it was a dogwood and they say it flowers like a dogwood, so that is all I am basing my ID on. The top was growing into the primarys a little it was that tall, and going by the size of the old top cuts(10 in. or so.)It must of been very tall. It had a 25ft spread also, though when I was done it was reduced a lot. There was so much clutter it was kind of easy to find a nice lateral to reduce and still make it look natrual below the top. It also was boxed in on its back side by a redwood and an Oak, so all the growth was concentrated on the south west side.
I had to come out of the tree twice and pull my own hangers, luckly it was easy to climb up and down.(I didn't have to do any of the clean up though)

It probably wouldn't have taken so long if the yip yappers on the ground would have grabbed a pole saw and got them hangers out of yer way. Its OK to yip yap... as long as yer pulling hangers.

on zen

... i love those jobs... and you are right on .... tune into the tree and it will tell you what to do. it becomes automatic. for me the best part (aside from the process of the trees metamorphosis) is the look on the clients face when they look at it after its done. its priceless and it makes me feel like i took part in something special. plus the tree is happy, the client is happy, i m happy, and everybody finally wins one for a change!

Zen, I see it, I get in that mode all the time, sometimes I will get in and sit for a bit, getting to know the tree. Guys say I am Jedi mind melding with the tree, I say I am just looking at what I need to do, they say its the same thing!

Beast

Have you ever read Robert Pirsig?

Just wondering, if not, I recommend him.

I wanted to write one called: Zen and the Art of Right Of Way Maintenance: An Inquiry into Ethics.

.....BUT, I got too busy working to make a go of it on my own.

For me, I very much enjoy getting into the zone, but I don't stop thinking. In fact, to the contrary, my thinking is accelerated. You don't want to over think it, but it's not really a forced thing anyway, rather a passive transcendent overdrive where your mind is catapulted by what the tree and the situation has given you and what is needed. There are parameters, or bounds, yet there is freedom within. It's exhilarating. Couple that with a heaping helping of adrenaline, and it's no wonder we don't always "fit in" with the masses.

When get to a job first I inspect the tree, Zen I get my gear out. Zen I shoot my throw bag into the best crotch, Zen I fill my 200t up with gas and oil. Zen I hump my ass around in that tree or take it down. Zen hopefully I get paid:clap: Zen I do it again the next day.

The more complicated the tree refinement, the better. The more of them that all have to look the same, the better. It's a rare ability IMO. Perfect results though, and I mean HOs tears of joy about my work perfection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back