Zenith Knives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menchhofer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have read somewhere here at one time or another regarding Zenith's knife quality. The comments were not too swell.

Does anyone have any actual experience with these knives? I have found the company very "concerned" regarding their quality control. Since I have not used a different brand, am I missing something here?

someone had a post that said morbark will not warranty damage to its machines if a zenith knife was used. I remember reading that post.

here is what I know about zenith. The steel they use is made in Vietnam. Vietnam steel is not (rumors) as strong as US steel. I know there is a grading system for steel, but I don't know how it works. I think you will have to do some homework to find out what companies use better grdes of steel.
FYI, the company that I work for uses zenith blades. my boss probably saw an ad when he needed to buy blades one time and now he has an account and that's where he gets baldes. I THINK that the blades could last longer, but you would have to compare them over a period of time...why are there not any consumer reports for the TCI?

Forgot one part, When it is feasible, buy American made stuff. It's your economy!!

I bought two sets of Zenith knives for our Bandit 250. They seem fair. One set is still brand new. 1st set due for first sharpening. Price was right, but 'm thinking a better bargain would be top quality knives. They are definitely better than the Bailey's ones made by Woodsman, which I sent back with huge chips broken out.. steel was too brittle.

You guys are giving me gas pains!

I started off with Vermer knives, tried Woodsman Pro and haven't gone back. It would seem the Woodsman Pro hold their edge better. I noticed a post that said that Woodsman Pro was too brittle. I dunno. Could those brittle blades have been sharpened incorrectly, dropped, bad steel. Dunno. I tend to worry and worry about things like that especially when its my arse on the line if the equipment fails because of the knives. With that in mind, if the equipment fails (and hopefully nobody gets hurt) because of poor steel quality, I imagine there could be a heck of a settlement coming after the steel is officially analyzed and doesn't live up to the manufacturers claims. It would amaze me if there were substandard steel out there being touted for chipper knives because of the potential liability. Then again, I am amazed every day by some of the products that make it to the market!

Okay...I contacted Zenith and they informed me the steel with which they make the knives is from the US not Vietnam. It is shipped to Vietnam where the knives are made.

They also told me that they have sold thousands of knives sold thru Sherrill in the past years until Sherrill went with Vermeer. Then it was made "illegal" to purchase any other knives except through the dealers. I believe the "quality issue" with regards to Vermeer and Bandit are nothing more than marketing schemes.

As stated earlier, I had a few issues with the knives but they tested the hardness and sharpened them free for me. At this time I do believe the knives to be of good quality.

Zenith also told me they ran out of the jeeps and other metal we left behind years ago:D

I,ve been using Zenith knives for a few years with no disapointments. Almost got another brand to try until the dealer told me that they were 75% more money. I can't imagine that there is that much diffenence.

I tried Woodsman pro and so far I am delighted. They seem to hold an edge better than the Vermeer and I just chipped some 18 inch plus dead live oak trees that were nearly petrified :). I was scared to open my blade access to see what I had left. Other than some dulling, and a small knick, the knives looked great.
Another guy said he had trouble with Woodsman pro. I imagine that it just depends on the particular batch of steel and what goes through the chipper. I know chipping a large bolt that is hidden in the tree would hurt any knife..

Zenith has contacted me with concerns of their quality being questioned here on the board. They asked for the web site and intend to read our posts regarding their knives and, I would presume responding to our concerns.

bottom line: Zenith blades last longer than Vermeer and Morbark knives at a much lower price. They've got my business!

I have used Zenith knives for years and they work good for me. I have had Morbark knives crack several times across the bolt holes. No Zenith knives have cracked there yet. I also use Simonds knives, which are real good so far.

Zenith knives in my chippers have held up just as well as vermeer or bandit knives, I can tell you that for a fact. If you have any problems with zenith knives, my advise to you is to stop throwing rakings in your chipper, cause you are sending rocks through them. I buy from factory direct and they are everyday hard working Americans like you and me. I purchase two sets of knives per year, and I work in Yonkers NY and the Bronx where hitting and chipping nails in the trees are a everyday occurance, but yet two sets of knives at a great price gets me through a entire year. I think one or two years ago one of the owners of Zenith was badly injured in a motor cycle accident, riding a Harley Davidson , not a Rice burner crotch rocket. The owners of Zenith are Americans all the way . They are very nice people and it makes me upset to hear rumers without a grain of truth puting them down. I have refered over 20 company's to them and never had any negative feedback from any of them. They even call me every year to inform me when they are running a sale so I can save more $. There products and customer service is A+++ , 5 stars all the way. Please get your facts straight before you bad talk a company. How would you like others to do that to you and your company. Think about it. These people are so nice that when I was informed about the guys injury, my family and myself prayed for them every Sunday at church. I consider people who go to great lengths to help me; friends, that is what the folks at zenith are to me friends. So please dont bad talk a fellow American company like Zenith. :angel:

"So please dont bad talk a fellow American company like Zenith. "

Reread the thread Wolf66. Nobody set out to bad mouth anyone. The original poster was looking for confirmation or disproof of info he heard. If Zenith manufactures a quality product for the money then their reputation will stand on its own.

Buying American for the sake of buying American is just plain stupid and bad business if you end up with an inferior product.Why don't they employ Americans to make their knives?

Although unfortunate, I can't see how the owners mishap has anything to do with the quality of his product, Harley Davidson aside.

I don't know about you, but I would rather learn from others experiences than make mistakes with my hard earned money.

The report about the Morbark blades breaking along the bolt holes sounds like the blades were made "old school".

An article in TCI explained that well-made blades are using either a softer steel, or different tempering process for the the area around the bolts. This is done so that the blades can flex in extreme tension. However, the outer edges of the blade are made much harder to accept a good, honed edge.

This is one reason why it's important not to have blades sharpened past the suggested minimum width, as you'll be sharpening steel that is too soft to sharpen.

I sold my Morbark chipper in 1995 and have not used a Morbark since. The blades were supposedly made with 2 different tempering, softer middle and hard edge. I think most chipper manufacturers make their blades too thin. I have never seen a Gravely blade crack, but their blades are 3/4 inch thick. I have seen Bandit blades crack also. The standard 3/8 inch thickness of most chipper blades is too thin for the kind of abuse a chipper blade goes through. I have not broken a blade on my Woodsman 18X yet, but that blade is 1/2 inch thick.

Back