Zero Clearance fireplace overfire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car Knocker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Calling all you guys with a zero clearance. I have an rsf Opel 2. I built my house last year so I only have one winter under my belt. I love the heat from the unit but was curious how others make sure not to overfire. There is no good way to measure chimney temp like with a magnetic temp gauge because the pipe is stainless. I did put one of those gauges leaning on the pipe behind the louvre but not real sure how accurate that is. The hottest it got that way was around 700f , but I tried to run it around 500-550f. There was no glowing from the metal. RSF told me last year that as long as I had control of me fire I was good. What do y'all think? Thanks

I also have an Opel 2. Been burning for the last 3 winters. Could not be happier with it. It heats almost 3500 sf easily (but it is a super tight ICF block construction). I think it's practically impossible to overfire it. It has a bimetal damper that starts shutting the air off when it gets really hot. I've burned it REALLY hot a few times, never ever seen any red metal or signs of overfire. Just make sure your door gaskets stay in good shape (air tight) and it regulates itself really well.

Latest posts

Back