zero clearance fireplace question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
where the front sides of the steel box meets the masonry bricks there's like a 1/2 gap there. at some time there was mortar in there to seal it, but over the years it's cracked and fallen out.

any suggestions as to how to permanently seal that gap? i'm looking at a friend's fireplace and I thought about using high temp mortar but he said he's tried that in the past and it eventually breaks away.

maybe weld a piece of metal to overlap the gap?

any suggestions?

it would be the areas in red but INSIDE behind the brick front:

Untitled.jpg Untitled.jpg

Do you have enough room to get a drill in there to drill holes for rivets? You could always rivet a small strip of coil trim or flashing if the objective is just to seal out air infiltration. I know you get coil trim in different colors as well as colored rivets if it would show...

I think the heat would melt the trim/flashing, and, being on the inside, the color doesn't matter.

but, it's an idea to consider...thanks.

Untitled.jpg

the metal box is inside the brick wall (in blue) so, we need to fill in the 1/2" gap between the metal box and the brick wall.

behind all that it's hollow with vents on the sides.

I'm assuming there are no available surrounds for the fireplace? I'm not sure how you could seal it and make it look good. I know I'd try some type of hydronic cement or mortar and if that didn't work I guess get the welder out.

Is there anyway to make half inch concrete board work?

What is on the front of the fireplace now? On my quadrafire I had to use a fire proof cement board on the surround and I'm almost positive it went past the gap your showing. Then the decorative panel went on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back