• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Zero turn mower opinions

memory

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Not sure if this is the best place to post this but wanted to get opinions on zero turn mowers. Currently have a Scag Tiger Cub 48". Would like to have something with a little bigger cut, like a 61 or 66" and plenty of engine. Will probably buy used most likely. Just mow for myself, which is a farm. Don't mow for others but can't say that will not happen in the future. Not sure about other scags but the one I have, it slides way too much, even on flat ground. Not sure if there is an issue with it or that is normal for that machine. Figured the weight of the machine has something to do with it, being a smaller machine. I help cut grass at work and they use Hustler Super Z's 60 and 66" cuts, they don't slide nothing like my Scag does. Also I feel my Scag is a little under powered and seen others say the same thing. It has the Kawasaki 19hp. Would an EFI motor be the way to go? Seen some people say the carbed Kawi has more power than the Vanguard, at least on Hustlers.

I am not 100% set on Scag. Use Hustlers at work and they only real complaint I have with them is grass clumps up real bad when it's wet. Of course that maybe the case with any brand. I only try to cut at home when it is dry. On Scags, are there certain models to stay away from? How are the factory seats on lets say the Turf Tiger or the Tiger Cat? Want something that is comfortable, do have some rough ground but nothing real bad.

RanchDad

RanchDad

ArboristSite Operative
We have 4 zero turns... A kubota diesel, scag turf tiger, an old exmark lazer z, and a new exmark lazer z all of which are the 60ish inch decks. If it were my money, I’d buy an exmark with the biggest gas engine you can afford/find. Our old one (several thousand hours) cuts as well as the new one (when it has sharp blades) but the ride has suffered over the years(probably would be solved with a new seat). The seat/ride on the new one is nice! I mow a good bit but I’m not a professional, I just help out around the children’s home I’m a part of, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

We did get a loaner from exmark (after ordering the new lazer z) a couple weeks ago that was simply incredible... 96” batwing, 24” outboards with a 48” Center deck. 1.6L diesel, it was like driving a caddy down the interstate. I believe it stickered for $41k. Like Ferris Bueller said..”if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up”

sean donato

sean donato

ArboristSite Operative
We run Farris and now exmark in our parks. The ferris is a high maintenance hunk of junk, but rides like a dream with it's full suspension. (Which is 80% of its issues) the exmark laser Z x series we got with the 37hp kohler, and 72" deck. Rides pretty nice and is built like a tank. We did demo a scag at the same time as the exmark. It just didnt seem to be able to put the power to the ground the same as the exmark. My only complaint with the exmark is it burned oil untill the engine was broken in. Which we were assured was normal for Kohler efi big block engines, by 2 different dealers. Other than that it's great. You can mow flat out with it and it never misses a beat. My uncle uses hustler mowers on his farm, but they are all the older diesel models with the deck out front and engine in the rear, you sit over the drive tires. I dont care for them, but he hasn't had many issues with them. I dont know about the new models.

NIP Group
ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
We have 4 zero turns... A kubota diesel, scag turf tiger, an old exmark lazer z, and a new exmark lazer z all of which are the 60ish inch decks. If it were my money, I’d buy an exmark with the biggest gas engine you can afford/find. Our old one (several thousand hours) cuts as well as the new one (when it has sharp blades) but the ride has suffered over the years(probably would be solved with a new seat). The seat/ride on the new one is nice! I mow a good bit but I’m not a professional, I just help out around the children’s home I’m a part of, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

We did get a loaner from exmark (after ordering the new lazer z) a couple weeks ago that was simply incredible... 96” batwing, 24” outboards with a 48” Center deck. 1.6L diesel, it was like driving a caddy down the interstate. I believe it stickered for $41k. Like Ferris Bueller said..”if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up”
Wow. Would take some serious lawn acreage for a mower like that!

Jhenderson

Jhenderson

ArboristSite Guru
Ive got an old hustler. A 260 K with a pac a bac. I bought it used and while it wasn’t abused, it wasn’t loved either. All I know is the hustler factory folks are top notch. The machine was so old the local dealers didn’t know anything about it. I called the mfg parts Dept and the emailed me both a parts and an owners manual. They answered all my questions and treated me as if I was actually important to them. They also still have parts available for my 3 decade old machine. They’ve earned my loyalty.

ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a Hustler raptor SD 60" cut with 24hp Kawasaki. It's 5 years old. Cuts great, it does ride rough. No problems so far, still has the original battery.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
I have a fairly new Ferris. Less than 100hrs. My only issue is the deck seem to clog up all the time .I never mow wet grass. Seems like all the lawn mowing guys around here have exmark or hustler. I bought the Ferris because of the suspension with my bad back.

ATpro

ATpro

ArboristSite Operative
Ariens Ikon XD 52 in 23-HP Kawasaki here, It's made like a tank. Same people that make Gravely .
Brother has a 52 in Gravely and he says they are the same except for the EZT transaxle on the Ariens and the
Hydrogear 3100 series transaxle on the Gravely. The Gravely has a 10 ga fabricated deck and the Ariens has a 12 ga formed deck. The cost is 2,500 bucks more for the Gravely. For a homeowner the Ariens is all you need, I can almost buy 2 Ariens for the price of one Gravely, and Brother says mine rides better.

Jhenderson

Jhenderson

ArboristSite Guru
Affordability is very important. My personal choice was to go with a used commercial mower rather than a new homeowner unit. You need the ability ( and the desire) to tinker but I ended up with a higher quality unit for less money.

aokpops

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
I ran simplicity snice around the mid 90 . Just bout a simplicity courier 52 inch 25 horse Briggs . Only mowing for one season .
What I like so far . The power it has I never slow down even in the tuff spots . There is no choke it just starts like a car . And the ride is a lot better . The time it takes to mow is a lot less . Just me I was not going to happy with another brand . Your money buy what you want do what the heart wants .

fubar2

fubar2

Addicted to ArboristSite
My 54" Troy Built has been far better than expected for 11 years. Just replaced both belts two days ago and it looks as well from the bottom as the top.

ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a fairly new Ferris. Less than 100hrs. My only issue is the deck seem to clog up all the time .I never mow wet grass. Seems like all the lawn mowing guys around here have exmark or hustler. I bought the Ferris because of the suspension with my bad back.
Maybe it's the blades. Some blades clear clippings better than others. I have a Hustler 60" and the only time it has clogged is in taller, thick damp grass. I have the factory blades and a set of gator blades. The gator blades seem to throw clippings farther.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

russhd1997

russhd1997

Innocent By Stander
Look on the landscapers trailers! Around here about 90% of them have eXmarks on them. I bought the eXmark Quest homeowner model with 50" deck seven years ago and have no regrets. If I had a larger lawn to mow I would get a bigger professional model but am happy with what I've got.

memory

memory

ArboristSite Guru
Look on the landscapers trailers! Around here about 90% of them have eXmarks on them. I bought the eXmark Quest homeowner model with 50" deck seven years ago and have no regrets. If I had a larger lawn to mow I would get a bigger professional model but am happy with what I've got.
Are there certain models of exmark to stay away from?

russhd1997

russhd1997

Innocent By Stander
Are there certain models of exmark to stay away from?
[/QUOTE

No, not that I know of. Of course if you're looking for a professional model stay away from the homeowner models. If you have a Toro dealer near you check them out. It's the same company.