ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Zero turn mowers. your fav.

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by farmer steve, Jun 29, 2018.

1. panolo

panolo Seldom right...Always opinionated!

I have a hustler that has been great for three seasons. I like the solid deck and it is much quieter than many others. My yard is all big red oaks and they drop branches and acorns like mad. It cut my mowing from 4 hours to a little under two. I wasn't willing to spend a huge amount and found it fit my budget and I liked the Kawi motor.

2. chipper1

chipper1 Living Life to the Full

I don't do financing, and I actually make great ROI as I usually sell mine at a profit, I haven't claimed a mower on my taxes in around 10 years since I did the credit thing once and found it didn't pay even at a low rate.
    Kubota does make a mean machine, I like my l3800 a lot, and I didn't get the zero % on that either :D.
    The great thing about these machines is that the repairs are pretty easy for someone who is handy, mandrel here and there, idler, some tires(if you run them on pavement much), anti scalp wheel kits, blades, all the same things you would replace on any mower no mater the quality.
    I agree, having the higher end products is great for keeping the long term cost down.

bear1998 likes this.
  3. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

48* is about as big as i can go. the difference between 44" and 48" is $500. :crazy2:

WRW, chipper1 and bear1998 like this.
  4. Hoodiegadoo

Hoodiegadoo ArboristSite Member

So this is what I do primarily everyday for a living. I personally think the scag v ride is the best mower out there. For a few reasons:

Scag’s velocity plus deck is the best cutting deck in the industry. It is incredible how you can blaze through wet tall grass/weeds and it spreads it like it’s dry. Exmark is another brand that make very high quality mowers with a decent cutting deck. Not quite up to par with scag but close.

I like the stand on style because bumps don’t beat you to death like a rider. The rider, every bump goes right to your spine. Not a big deal if you’re just mowing your yard for an hour or two but after 12-15 yards a day they wear you out. Walk behinds the bumps go right into your wrists which get sore after a while.

Also with the stand on style you are looking over the entire cutting deck at all times so it’s easier to spot things left in a yard or holes that need to be avoided or straddled.

The Kawasaki engines as mentioned above are my personal preference as well. They are low maintenance and last forever. I routinely get 4-5K hours out of them before they need to be replaced.

I also like scag for their simplicity. These days it seems almost everything that tries to be fancy and complex just causes more problems and mowers aren’t the exception.

I have had the top of the line scag, exmark, snapper pro, dixson, cub cadet, and Dixie chopper for comparison’s sake.

The ferris mowers with the suspension were a great idea in theory but suck and I’ll explain why: In order for your cutting height to be maintained you have to tighten the suspension to the point where it’s nonexistent. If you make the ride comfortable it cuts like crap and leaves very noticeable high and low spots all over the place.

If you have any steep slopes to worry about a walk behind with a sulky to stand on would be your best option. The vride is better than any of the riders but not quite as good as a walk behind on slopes.

I’m not particularly partial to any brand for any reason other than performance. If I found one that allowed me to cut faster with the same finish I’d buy it tomorrow. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Wright mowers but there isn’t a dealer close by and they are quite a bit more expensive than the vride.

The diesel motors someone mentioned also last a very long time but I found them to be too heavy for most finish mowing and will eventually leave tracks in a yard. Especially if your yard has any spots that hold moisture or are soft.

Anyway hope that helps. Shout if you have any specific questions.

5. muddstopper

muddstopper Addicted to ArboristSite

Actually, I am interested in it myself. Hes trying to get his auto insurance to cover it so it might be a while before it actually gets sold. The Local *** said fixing it isnt a option as it would be cheaper to just buy a new one.

farmer steve, bear1998 and chipper1 like this.
  6. ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy Addicted to ArboristSite

I've run the John Deer Zs (the commercial $$$ ones).

They can mow quicker and that deck is certainly beefy, though a guy could buy 3 or 4 home jobber ones for the price.

I have a 50" deck and it's a
    Sheez, my first cut was around Memorial Day.. roughly June to September is mowing season here.

7. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

Steve, I can't be of much help. I think all of the big players make good machines. I'd stay away from any box store version of a real machine. My neighbor has a cub Cadet and it looks like a stamped piece of junk. My hunting buddy found a deal, last year, on two Snapper Pro, 52" walk behinds, for $900 each. They cost $6,500 new. Mine was a 2014 with 500 hours on it. I had to put a new PTO on it. From the factory it had a 400 hour PTO, the new one is 800 hours. I just started with my lawn and my MIL's, then her neighbors, then my neighbors, then, then, now I have 9 lawns. The 20 HP Kawasaki sips gas compared to my JD, and is WAAAY faster. I'm mowing just about 10 acres a week, and would like a bigger mower, but my dump trailer is only 62" wide, so the biggest deck that will fit is about 54". The reason we got the mowers for $900 was Snapper GAVE the mowers to a local lawn care company. They are in 9-10 states, and their base is right down the road from me. They use all Ex-mark Z's. So, they used them for 1 season and gave them to one of their foremen, he flipped them real quick, Joe.

8. rarefish383

Since the Wrights have been mentioned, they are headquartered in Frederick or Hagerstown. I really like their stand on models. I'll do a quick search for their location.

9. rarefish383

Yep, Frederick.

10. WRW

WRW Addicted to ArboristSite

Worth every penny for me but it's not me buying. One advantage to the smaller deck would appear when it's time to clean under it.

farmer steve, chipper1 and bear1998 like this.
  11. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 ESD sufferer

I bought a Husky MZT61 four years ago. 61 inch deck (as the name suggests) and 28.5HP B&S motor. Here it was, straight off the delivery vehicle. The person I want to employ to mow the place is too short to reach the deck height foot lever, though :laugh:.

Bearomower1.jpg
    Pros: Big deck makes short work of 2 acres. Raising/lowering the deck with the foot lever is easy. Seems pretty tough, I have hit tree roots and also a bit of 10mm reinforcing mesh (left by a builder on the grass and I didn't see it until I hit it) which the mower sheared off and left the blades undamaged. It also took a tumble trying to get it onto a trailer and didn't bend anything. The zero turnability is excellent. It will take about 10 years to rack up enough mowing hours to reach the next scheduled oil change (not that I'll leave it that long).

Cons: Big deck means you can't get through tight spots so you have to come back and tidy them up after. It struggles in longer grass. Very effective at keeping grass short but getting it short once the grass gets away a bit is more of a challenge. Not good at manoeuvring, stopping or reversing when pointing downhill if the surface is at all greasy (and sometimes even if it isn't) even on a relatively mild slope. You certainly feel every bump you hit. Long wheelbase makes it a pain to transport.

So, it is not without its shortcomings but having got to know it better and how to use it in different situations, it works well for me. I guess many of the cons will apply to most mowers. If getting into tight spots is not an issue then I would definitely get the biggest deck you can justify to the missus otherwise you're just going to be spending more time than necessary sitting on a mower and wasting good chainsawing time.

Just in case you missed it, get the biggest deck you can.

12. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 ESD sufferer

Wow, that pic came out big :buttkick:

13. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% USDA certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.
    Friend of mine has a Kubota zero turn mower. He's had it now for several years. Not sure which model though. He also owns a Kubota tractor.

He swears by both. Not at them.....by them. ;)

14. bear1998

bear1998 ArboristSite Operative

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Grasshopper.....what say ye?

farmer steve and chipper1 like this.
  15. WRW

I looked them up at the beginning of this thread but have no personal knowledge. A friend has, or had, one and I never heard any complaints.

16. avason

avason Addicted to ArboristSite

I almost took a ride to Maryland to buy a kubota diesel. I think that I read somewhere that they are gear driven so you won't go through mule belts? Is that true? I read they sip on fuel and are very rugged. With that being said, pricey. Good Luck.

farmer steve and bear1998 like this.
  17. farmer steve

i finally made up my mind and went with a new 2017 Ferris. 48" deck with a 25 hp briggs motor. it was a toss up with the scag or exmark but i didn't like the dealers. the place i bought mine also sells huskvarna chain saws in case i ever decide to go over to the dark side.:laughing: 20180712_083145.jpg 20180712_083200 (1).jpg

avason, Cowboy254, ray benson and 2 others like this.
  18. WRW

Does the roll over protection not fold? Be careful under low branches and overhangs.

Cowboy254, farmer steve and chipper1 like this.
  19. chipper1

chipper1 Living Life to the Full

Ready to rock, now your neighbors are gonna be calling to have you mow their places too.
    Let us know how you like it.

Cowboy254, farmer steve and WRW like this.
  20. farmer steve

no fold on this model. it's coming off. everything i mow is flat.