ZigZag !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck D

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion about using 13 mm spark line by Phoenix through a zigzag? It is a 16 Strand Rope
Or another question what is the difference between double braid and 16 strand rope

Zigzag specs call for a range from 11.5-13mm rope. You will find a much more responsive system in the lower diameter range. 13mm line barely fits through the zigzag opening. It does not flow freely. Zigzag works best with 11.5mm.

The popular Poison Ivy and Lava are double braid. Other then the "milking" effect the double braid is plagued with, I don't do not notice the difference between double braid and 16-strand.

Zig zag is dangerous. Several recalls for cracks in chain, and some failures too. Do you want to see family at the end of the day? Get the Spider Jack or use standard friction hitch cord.

Zig zag is dangerous. Several recalls for cracks in chain, and some failures too. Do you want to see family at the end of the day? Get the Spider Jack or use standard friction hitch cord.

Failures were with 1st generation model which was recalled.
Cracks in chain links have caused zero documented failures to date, and destruction tests by the manufacturer have shown no strength loss. There has been no second product recall.
I think amping up the hysteria "do you want to see your family at the end of the day" for a product I reckon you neither own, nor have tried, is what it is......dumb.
Btw. Please don't send me mother threatening PM like you did the last time we had a disagreement over some other dumb thing you said.
I own two ZigZags. I climb on them daily.

Summary of the facts

On Friday, April 12, Petzl was informed of an accidental fall in a training center in Germany. This fall was related to a failure of the rope end attachment hole of the original Petzl ZIGZAG mechanical Prusik with serial number below 13108******. Petzl have since been informed of another identical failure.

These failures were the result of a particular configuration of a cantilevered and off axis loaded upper carabiner.

Petzl believes that this incorrect positioning of the connector could inadvertently occur during normal use with the potential for serious injury or death.

- See more at: http://www.lyon.co.uk/workandrescue...ge-procedure-2014-update#sthash.Swzhey6j.dpuf

I don't want to take any unexpected equipment related falls.

Cracked steel life support worries me, not knocking petzl as I have lots of their stuff

And I know if I say anything otherwise you don't like it , so again whatever pelorus this **** is getting old I did climb on it an I think it's trash ... So now what ya wanna argue about my opinion and BTW I've never **** on yours .

I have tried (and own) both the original Made - in - Detroit wrench, and the newer one.
Prefer the ZZ to anything else I've climbed on so far, which also includes a HitchHiker and Lockjack.
vast majority of work I do consists of removals on spurs. Climbing and working SRT isn't a priority.

I'm Meh on the ZZ overall. I didn't feel unsafe at all using it with a 12MM or so rope. Just not for me.

Back