Zip line questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate to resurrect threads but this has so much of my concerns that I'm hoping to just continue it:
So in other words, if your strategic objective is to remove a leaning hazardous tree because you feel it is not anchored into the ground well, or has basal defects, you can run your speedline 180 degrees off the tree's lean, zip all it's weight off of it, all along the avenue of greatest structural integrity, and never actuall "catching" the full weight of any single load provided each load hits the ground prior to contacting it's ground anchor.

Another poster referred to the (sometimes *substantial*) fores that a groundie can put on the tree's ancnhoring-point if they don't know what they're doing, but then I read your post which confirmed my original understanding... Is it fair to say that, if you're speedlining in a manner where the branches are being brought to crashes on the ground, then there'd be no worries for the climber Re noobie-groundies, right? IE, the danger that groundies can impose here is by snubbing or sharply-decelerating the load on its way down, right?

Thanks a ton for any insight on that, however there's 1 more thing I'm trying to get a better handle on.... I have a project that I *was* going to setup a controlled-speedline for, but now after watching (the amazing!!) 'pfannerman' (lawrentz schultz), and seeing how much 'drift rigging' he does (IE setting two high-anchors so that as the log is cut it swings-into the center of the two high-anchors' middle-point), it seems like you coudl control more weight more precisely this way **except** it comes at a loss of precision on drop-zone (though not much, if setup right!) which has me thinking to try drift-lining the piece instead of controlled-speedline - would love anything you couuld tell me on this!! (FWIW, this stuff in-question isn't stuff that even needs rigging at all, it's backyard practice, goal is to get proficient enough to market myself as a contract climber and start recouping $$ so I can continue buying gear & having fun climbing&rigging -- still can't believe this is something to get paid for :D ) ((Bonus Q: What about using DBR/mech-advantage rig setups while in the drift-line context? IE my closest rope doesn't just connect to the log, I've taken a bight out from my anchor and run it through a Safebloc on the log to be cut, then tie-off the drift-line....it seems that the Safebloc would control some initial-forces before the drift-line was fully engaged meaning any given weight would stress things far less! Any thoughts on that'd be greatly appreciated!!))

(2nd PS- what's the minimum 'light-duty' cordage you guys would use for speedlines, is 1/2" / 10k ABS acceptable? How critical does elasticity factor-into this? Have been reading high-line/tight-rope forums for better-understadning speedline-strengths but still having trouble, can see them being stronger or weaker than simple end-to-end cordage strength!)

Latest posts

Back