Zip Up Chainsaw Chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Saw some literature on these - supposed to be available later this year. Have not seen them in person or tried them, but they look interesting.

Wrap coverage; no buckles to snag; etc. on and off easier than protective pants. Not sure if they will fit everyone, but I guess that pant legs fit a lot of folks.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Philbert

Realized I had this 'chap' (singular); the other leg was sacrificed for a safety demo at a GTG. Similar slip-on design without the zipper.

Easy on/off (without boots). No straps or buckles to snag. Good coverage. A little tight up by the thighs.

This was a Husqvarna branded pair, but 30 years old, so I had a lack of confidence in using them. Otherwise, I liked them.

Philbert

image.jpg

Just Saw These on eBay . . .

Similar idea. Different thigh straps and belt, so it does not look like a 'private label' thing, although they could come from the same manufacturer.

Philbert
Screen shot 2015-05-31 at 12.25.17 AM.jpg Screen shot 2015-05-31 at 12.25.49 AM.jpg

l have the plastic snap lock buckles......three on each leg so l find this thread interesting as the easier chaps are to put on/take off, the more likely your going to use them. l went from full Stihl pants to chaps as l found them more convenient. They also act like an apron keeping sawdust off your clothes.

Some more info on the Oregon chaps

http://www.oregonproducts.com/pdfs/Chaps_107006-AA_low-res.pdf

Apparently, they sell several versions of chaps (made by?), including different models in Canada and the US - presumably also different versions in Europe?
I don't know if this is due to different standards, or different manufacturers, or different import restrictions, etc. But interesting that they have different designs/styles, as well as the use of different protective fibers. Also interesting how some manufacturers say 'hand wash only', some allow machine washing, etc.

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-05-31 at 11.30.11 AM.png Screen shot 2015-05-31 at 11.30.26 AM.png

Well, at first I thought they were special . . .

Now they seem to be everywhere! Looks like Forester also has them in a variety of colors, plus camo (not shown)!
***Not saying that these chaps are all 'the same' when it comes to quality and level of protection, just interesting that this style of zip-up wrap chaps seems to be showing up all over.***
Love to hear feedback from anyone who has tried them, especially on: fit, quality, ease of donning/doffing, etc.

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-06-01 at 10.36.56 AM.png

Hopefully good quality zippers... But, knowing Philbert, if his zipper quit working right, he'd take them to the grinder until they meshed perfectly again!

l have the plastic snap lock buckles......three on each leg so l find this thread interesting as the easier chaps are to put on/take off, the more likely your going to use them. l went from full Stihl pants to chaps as l found them more convenient. They also act like an apron keeping sawdust off your clothes.

Sound like mine, snap belt buckle also, certainly convenient and quick on/off, Dark Grn colour.

edit..re leg length, right down over the boots.

My trouble has always been in finding chaps with enough length. It doesn't help that I'm 6'5", but I like for them to at least get down to my boots, especially when running a longer bar. I did finally find a pair, I believe they were husqvarnas but I'd have to check.

l even think they could dismiss the zips all together and just use a thick velcro section.......while the field testers may like this l am sure the lawyers would not! lts also worth noting that there is a huge selection of chaps for sale but a lot of them are 'rebranded' and come out of the same factories. Husky and stihl don't actaually make chaps but sell them with their logo's for what is usually an inflated price. l brought two generic pairs out of our big box hardware called bunnings (like H/F in US) and they were reduced to $39.99 from $199.99. They have the classification rating of UL (whatever that means) and were made in Canada. My guess is they are rebadged Labonville's but my point is good chaps can be had for a reasonable price if you have some knowledge and look around. l am giving some thought into buying the kevlar forearm gaurds as statistics show that area to be vulnerable. But also over here it gets pretty hot in summer and being covered head to toe in 'safety gear' has its dangers too. lts about finding a safe balance IMO.

Assuming that these zipper chaps are well made (zippers hold up etc.), the 2 questions I have are:

(1) How easy are they really to put on /take off?
If they are a PIA, the advantage is lost. If they don't stay zipped, there is a problem.

(2) How do they fit?
The advantage of straps and flaps is that they can easily adjust to different diameter leg calves. Maybe the zippered ones can be looser because they have protection all the way around, so even if the chain spins them . . . ? Might be an individual fit thing.

. . . there is a huge selection of chaps for sale but a lot of them are 'rebranded' and come out of the same factories. Husky and stihl don't actaually make chaps but sell them . . .

I have seen a lot marked 'Made in Mexico' and 'Made in Canada' chaps here. I assume that a lot of the stuff for European markets are made elsewhere - different specs, EU requirements, import duties, etc. The UL rating is a good first step. Note that the Oregon chaps have different chain speed ratings, and some of the chaps describe different types, and number of layers, of protective fabric. I have not been able to find a uniform standard for how those chain speed ratings are determined, even after asking a few reps.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back