zipline removal...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gord

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So how would you all go about this removal? zipline? or elevator? kinda j/k about the zipline but i saw this tree downtown and thought...man... that would be a time-consuming little removal no matter how you done it. anyone ever had one like this?

I'd use 2 big ass ropes. 1 to lower it down the side of the building, the other to keep it from slamming into the building.

i'd cut it into 3 or 4 bits and fly it down in my helicopter

Build an arch up top, peice out the tree in a conventional fashion, take said peices/bundles to arch and zip down with a haulback/brake line. Definitle would be time consuming, and different. :blob5:

clear the street and fell it over the edge.would make a cool video,call it extreme tree felling

Nah, broadcast em!!!
big_up.gif

Just cut it and let it free fall where it may and don't worry about any damage.
That is the philosophy one tree company I went to chip for had. I saw their climber about to drop a big limb over the neighbor's fence with no ropes. I asked their foreman, "Aren't you going put a rope on that?" He said, "Oh no, if it broke we kin fix it." The fence did break, whether or not he "gonna go fix it" ever happened, I don't know. Never did do any chipping for them again.

Gotta be careful rigging wood like that. I wonder how stable that tree is. How well are the roots holding that thing in there?

I know that the size of this tree doesn't justify the cost of a crane, but I honestly think that due to the location and potential hazard of this removal, I believe that I would crane the entire thing out. The condo board will probably chock at the cost, but they should have thought of that before planting that tree aloft of the building...

Actually with the hight of the building the cost of a viable crane would probably be prohibative. Looks like the penthouse level is 170-200 ft above the roadway.

Setting up a jib and lowering bundles would probably be the best bet.

I'd roll my chipper right in the elevator and use my big red wagon for hauling. Time consuming? 4-6 hours, max.

Set up large chute similar to what's used on building sites, dismantle tree in section, cut small enough to drop down chute , let gravity take it to the deck for the crew below to clear. ??

Ya, I'd just get a 600' rope and tie it to the tree, then tie to the back of a bus when it comes around and let nature take its course. :p

so no one has ever done a tree in a similar situation? i thought at least one of you fellas would have... :cool:

when i first saw this tree in the summer i thought it was a pine...but unless it's dead now i really don't know what it is (doesn't look at all like a dead pine anyways).

if i had to do it i think i would just get a big box on wheels that would fit in the elevator, stuff it full of brush and slash it down really well and take it all out through the elevator. unless i had to go through the living room of the penthouse, then i would be looking at ziplines and helicopters. :p

here's another pic of an old oak in the same area (english bay). the original tree is also in this pic if you can find it.

Back