Zubat Attached

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJohn

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally aquired a new Zubat today thanks to Dan. I had always wanted one but didn't want to shell out the money. I love the saw but never cared for the scabbard.

I didn't like the way you would have to use a biner to connect it. The biner caused it hang low and there was no stability to it. When you go to pull it out you would be tugging on the saw and scabbard and saw not releasing.

I put some thought into it and came up with a good solution. I took and cut the nylon webbing just down by the plastic and sealed the end. Then slid the webbing up through belting on my butterfly. I shortened the webbing just enough to fit tight. I then stitched the three ply over lapped webbing together on the sadddle.

I really like the new feal of the Zubat on my side. I really think instead of snaps they should make the Zubat snap available for the professional arborist on their saddles.

Another good idea... all those little details that make climbing or whatever a little easier throughout the course of a day make a huge difference in productivity....
I was talking to the guy fom the silky store, a Wall Indusrties co. He said the blade is machined so the area above the teeth is 5/1000" thinner than the teeth area... one reason why the silky is such a superior tool.
I got an Ibuki and a Gomtaro to try out this week... very cool....
Hopefully we can get together this week and take a pic of the new modification...

I got the ibuki a while ago, and MAN, I love that thing! It's almost TOO big, but I use it a lot....haven't seen the Zubat for a while.

Oh, and Gopher, your scabbard is on it's way!

love
nick

if leg scabbards are your thing but dont want to pay the extortionate price they cost then heres what i did.
gop down to your local camping shop and buy a couple of straps, the sort that you have on a hiking pack to attach on sleeping bags etc.
rivet these straight to the zubat sheath and you have a leg scabbard.
nicely out of the way and at a cost of under £5.
i wqas getting annoyed with my zubat because i couldn't blindly sheath the saw like my gomtaro, gotta make sure the sheath is the right way about.

them bendable white roadside posts also make exellent covers/scabbards.there holow in the middle.and very cheap:D

I won't get rid of my Ibuki, but the new saws from Kanzawa make Silky blades seem like dull Fanno's. Bishop carries them, They sent me three to test and they are the best handsaw I have ever used. Replacement blades for the 13" saw are only 14.00 cant beat that price.

Back