Husqvarna 455 questions????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc2strokerider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok I have a stihl ms210 right now. I make dirt bike tracks and trails and clear paths and also cut a good amount of firewood to sell for a little extra cash to have on hand "just incase the bike blows up". So ive been wanting to move up to a bigger saw for a while. I got this saw for my bday when i was 12. I helped my grandfather and cut trails. Now im 16 knowing how to cut better than alot of my neighbors supprisingly alot of people are inexperienced lol. But i was looking and i would love to have a new stihl but there just too expensive. So i looked at the husky rancher. I liked the saw and my grandfather has one that i use when cutting for him. It has a 20 on it and seems kinda sluggish. My questions are would it be better if i put a 16 or 18 on there and did a muffeler mod as i did on my 210 I have been trying to get $ this month by selling my old saw and working so I still have a couple weeks before i get all the cash i need to get a new saw wat are your oppinions are there any stihls i could get for the same price everywhere ive checked there more than the huskys idk wat to do:cry:

i cut up alot of wood with my 455. i also did alot of cutting that was geard for a 90cc saw. it was slow for the HUGE stuff but it still go the job done. i ran tank after tank in 95 degree weather without any breaks. she never quit on me.
i ran min with an 18 on it and it pulled pretty well. i still say the 455 is a good saw for the money. i just got infected with cad and the 455 got sacrificed to bring in the xp saws. if i found a good deal on one id prolly pick it up.

Chainsaw reply

Hi I'm also from RI. There have been quite a few good CList deals floating around our area. Stihl's Husky's. My friend is listing a MS390 for 275$.

Anyway, Ill trade you my chainsaw skill and labor if I could ride DB's on your land / trails! Lemme know!!!

Good Luck

I have a 455 with a 20 inch bar on it & I love it, no problems at all, with a good sharp chain it will cut anything. I have always had a 20 on it. but if it had a 18 or 16 on it that thing would be a cutting monster. I would go for the 455.

I'd check out a dolmar 5100. They're are in the same price range as the rancher, maybe just a tad more, but it will cut circles around the 455, and its a true pro grade saw.

455 Rancher 3.4 HP 13lbs
5100 Dolmar 3.9 HP 11.2lbs

That is a big difference. The 5100 is spoken very highly of around here. Best saw for the money. If you look around you can usually get them new for between 400-450.

Ok I have a stihl ms210 right now. I make dirt bike tracks and trails and clear paths and also cut a good amount of firewood to sell for a little extra cash to have on hand "just incase the bike blows up". So ive been wanting to move up to a bigger saw for a while. I got this saw for my bday when i was 12. I helped my grandfather and cut trails. Now im 16 knowing how to cut better than alot of my neighbors supprisingly alot of people are inexperienced lol. But i was looking and i would love to have a new stihl but there just too expensive. So i looked at the husky rancher. I liked the saw and my grandfather has one that i use when cutting for him. It has a 20 on it and seems kinda sluggish. My questions are would it be better if i put a 16 or 18 on there and did a muffeler mod as i did on my 210 I have been trying to get $ this month by selling my old saw and working so I still have a couple weeks before i get all the cash i need to get a new saw wat are your oppinions are there any stihls i could get for the same price everywhere ive checked there more than the huskys idk wat to do:cry:
I have a Husky 455 with a 20" bar and Carlton chains. I bought it new on ebay for around $330.00, it came with 3 extra chains and a Husqvarna t shirt for free!!! I've never had a problem with it, when you are cutting 2-3 foot in diameter stuff it tends to bog down. If you get are going to be cutting bigger stuff I would go with the 372xp. Compared to a Stihl Farm Boss, The Husky 455 eats a lot more gas. Over all I am happy with the 455 Rancher, it has cut around 24-30 cords of wood. Good luck with your decision! Kalib :greenchainsaw:

For the price its a decent saw IMO, I really like how clean the air filter stays for a long time. The key for making it work better is to take that stock safety chain off it and put on a sharp Carlton chisel chain, instead of sitting there holding the saw while it takes forever to cut it cuts right now!
For the really big stuff it will bog I just let it go easier, rock the bar back and forth and keep the revs up, or break out a real saw my SP81. My next saw will be the 372XP though for a lighter and newer top work saw.

Last edited:
what do you guys think of a ms310 i kinda wana stick with still the 455 at the shop is 400 and the 310 at a diff shop is 400 witha 16 in bar and thats what i want and plus i can get a discound because im a member of the future farmers of america

I must admit that the Husky 455 tempted me, right before I bought my Stihl MS 361. I cannot comment on the 455, because the

Stihl MS 361 Rocks!

and has never let me down.
StihlMS3613.jpg

Ms310

I have had a 310 for over 2 years now. Good saw for farm/ranch/larger homeowner stuff. I cut 2 large maples, both about 36" dbh with it. I had a 28" bar/full chisel chain on it for the actually felling and it def was a dog, but it still cut, normally I run 18" bar/chain and it's got pleanty of power. Still runs like the day I got it. In addition to the maples I have cut about 5 cords a year firewood with it, however this past winter it got used a lot less since I bought a used MS460. I can't say a bad thing about the 310, just moving to a larger saw to speed up production and make myself more efficient. When I bought it I got the saw, a stihl sharpening kit, 6 pk of 2 stroke mix, and 1 gal bar oil and it was a total of like $450. Because my grandfather and I both do a lot of business with the dealer he even threw in a new chain no charge.

-Tom

455 is a piece of junk, you may get lucky and get a good one but I know at least 3 people who bought them and had major problems with them. Most of the problems resulted in improper tightening from the factory (not tight enough and or no lock tight). One of the guys bought from a local dealer and thank god they kept honoring the warranty. The other two bought from box store and they were told to take them to warranty shop.

Guess what happens when you walk in to local guy and say "Hey I bought this at Lowes and they said you can fix it"

good luck with that.

so you guys think ill be all set with a 310 cuz i have a stihl now an i love it but its just too small im about $100 dollars away from getting it:)

I still stand by my dolmar 5100 suggestion. I don't know how much you can get a 310 for but it weighs almost 2lbs more than the 5100 and onlt has .1hp more which wouldn't even be noticable but the 2lbs would be.

You mis-understood.

I did not say the 5100 has 1 hp more.

I said the 310 has .1 HP (1/10th) more which wouldn't be noticable, but the 310 is also 2lbs heavier, which WOULD be noticable.

Ranchon 455

I've got the 455 with an 18, been cutting with it about 4 years, no problems. Keep it sharp and it will do the job!! I took the stihl into some serious consideration, I just didn't like having to go to a stihl shop for parts, that's what made the decision for me, I'm happy, but I know the stihl would have been a good one also. Top two in my opinion!

got the 310 today its raining guna go cut some trees tomarow cant wait any recommendations? im guna put a full chisel chain in it and wat do u guys think should i do a muff mod

Back