New Chainsaw Purchaser

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgiles117

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have read most of the Threads. They have been very helpful.

#1 I dont want a Stihl. SO Please no "Buy a Stihl" responses. I cant afford them. PERIOD. I cant find a decent used one at a reasonable price for me (in my area) and I cant find a refurb at a decent price.

Cliff R:
Just getting some followup on your 435.Do you still love it.

Everybody:
I am getting ready to buy my 1st real saw (2nd saw) I had a Poulan Wildthing POS.

I looked at a Husky 142 (Glad I found this site)

SO I am checking out the 435. Which is in my price range.

The other saw I was considering was the 455 Rancher. Used

My Use...

Oak, Maple, etc. up to 16" in Diameter. Sizing down for splitting.

My budget is around 250 so I have been looking at refurbs and Ebay specials...

This is what I have narrowed it down to...

Echo CS-400
Husky 435

Or

Husky 455 Rancher (means I'll have to stretch the budget a little, but...)

My Concerns:

Speed of cut. Poulan made me angry. LOL. Felt like my arm was gonna fall off.

Reliability of saw

Quality of build

Ease of In Home service.

Thanks for all your advice , help and insights. My Goal 12-15 cords of firewood per year....

Hardest wood will be Oak. (And lots of it. LOL)

People here really seem to like the 435 and at $250 new it seems like a good price. IMO 16" oak may be a little much for it. But it will be WAY better than a wildthing so you will be happy.

If the majority of your wood is towards the 16" end, the 455 will do the job faster. There was a really nice 5100 on the trading post here for like $280 that would have made you a good saw. Keep an eye out for a deal like that.

Keep an eye on your local craigslist for a good deal, unless you only want a new/refurb saw.

Cant give you any advise on saw prices as I live in New Zealand,but I can say that "Quality doesnt cost it pays"
Good luck on your search for the perfect saw....just be aware that CAD will search out and destroy your "budget"in the end:chainsaw:

Chainsaw Addiction Disease
Chainsaw Aquisition Disease

among others

Look at my sig, 3 months ago I didn't own a single chainsaw, then I came here looking for advice on buying my first saw.

Chainsaw Addiction Disease
Chainsaw Aquisition Disease

among others

Look at my sig, 3 months ago I didn't own a single chainsaw, then I came here looking for advice on buying my first saw.

Ahhhh, Like being a GearSlut (I am a Sound Engineer by trade.)

I think I have the right pills for that dis-ease. LOL.

bgiles117,

Another thing to consider is if you will want a servicing dealer close to you or you might be a do-it-yourself person and can look after your own maintenance and repair. Also parts availability (do-it-yourself).

Kevin

Stay away from Ebay unless you like playing Russian Roulette, and know how to work on beaten saws. One trip for repair or parts and any perceived savings are gone and you still have a beaten saw.

If a 455 Rancher is within your price range, so are the Stihl 290, 270 or 250. Get what you pay for.

Stay away from Ebay unless you like playing Russian Roulette, and know how to work on beaten saws. One trip for repair or parts and any perceived savings are gone and you still have a beaten saw.

If a 455 Rancher is within your price range, so are the Stihl 290, 270 or 250. Get what you pay for.

Are you saying I can grab a Stihl 290/270 or 250 for around $300???

And why would I grab one of those over the 455 (If I can get it at that price point. - If Not. it is idle words.)

bgiles117,

Another thing to consider is if you will want a servicing dealer close to you or you might be a do-it-yourself person and can look after your own maintenance and repair. Also parts availability (do-it-yourself).

Kevin

I dont mind doing the service myself. I have service engines for the past 23 years, so this is no big deal to me. So long as I can get parts....

Are you saying I can grab a Stihl 290/270 or 250 for around $300???

And why would I grab one of those over the 455 (If I can get it at that price point. - If Not. it is idle words.)

Retail price for Stihl 250 is $329 w/16" bar. Can possibly bargain for a little lower or free chain or files.

Either the 435 or 455 would be OK, though the 455 would obviously be a better choice for larger wood owing to its larger displacement and would probably hold up longer in a 10-15 cord/year application. Both saws would be a step-up from the WildThing. The 435 is really more of a trim up around the house kinda saw, but it will certainly cut firewood if asked to do so.

In your shoes, I'd want a solid saw in at least the 60cc class. I would be content with a solid saw in the 50cc class if that's what my budget allowed for; the 455 would be OK in this role, I reckon. Anything less is going to mean a tired/frustrated user and a saw being asked to do more than it was designed to do, especially if you have a longer bar on it.

My 238se (38cc) cuts firewood just fine with its 13" bar. It was far less happy with the 16" bar it came from the factory with, because if it's there you're going to try to use all of it. It prefers a very sharp chain and a light touch to keep the revs up (15k is spec), but correctly handled it is surprisingly productive and does not tire the user out at all. The short bar approach would be the route to go if you end up with the 435. The 154 in the picture was purchased in running, used condition for $150 and only required $20 in parts to get it back to genuinely good condition, though I went ahead and put a new $70 OEM piston in it anyway.

Husqvarna_Saws.jpg

My buddy cuts his firewood with this ex-Home Depot Rental 6401, which cost $217.30 (plus the bar, which I had laying around anyway and threw in as a gift). 65cc, 4.6hp, and it runs like a top despite having been a rental saw in a past life.
resized_HD_6401_Makita_02.jpg

Doesn't take long . . .

Those Stihl heads move in for the kill quite rapidly.
I do agree however the the 435 might work a bit too hard on a steady diet of 16" oak . . . However, it REALLY shines on wood 12" and down. But if your even considering a 250 Stihl for $329 you definitely owe it to yourself to check out the 435's larger brother, the 445!
Like the 250 Stihl it's 45 ccs and is of the same design and engine family as as the 435. And the best part is the 445 husky retails for 299.95 with a 16" bar and $309 with an 18" bar! Or you could even step up a bit farther to the 450 Husky at 50ccs and a MRSP of $369.
The new 400 series Huskies are great performing saws.
Good luck on your choice. . . and welcome to the site.

Al :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Back