100:1?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang Mark, I don't know much about chainsaws yet, but that sounds like a melt down waiting to happen. At least 40:1 for me hometown.

100:1 amsoil, Some of the amsoil guys swear by it but the 100:1 is complete BS. I know they will tell you less oil means more power and it has plenty of lube at 100:1.

I saw a really interesting test of this theory, this guy tested a two cycle engine with diff oil brands and ratios,

He tested for power and tore the engine down after every test to check for wear.
His preff is 32:1-50:1 with good synthetic oil.

And the most interesting part of the test was that at the super lean ratios of amsoil, HP actually went down, 100:1 amsoil made less power than 40:1.
I will give them that he did not see extreme wear, but this was a short test too!

The only reason they could find for the power drop was loss of compression due to less oil= not as good of a ring seal!

As for the ones who swear by amsoil at 100:1, they can have at it, Ill never run a engine like that! I would run it a 40: 1 or maybe 50:1 though!

I run Klotz in all my saws at 40 to 1, and have tore them down after hard use to find everything inside nice and oily! And not much carbon or smoke either!

I take that back 100:1 in some engines did show piston scuffing!

Last edited:
If you want to read some interesting stuff about oil, and no its not about chainsaws, it is on 2cycle model airplane engines, the big ones not the little dinky engines.

But it is test on engine wear and power output etc with diff oils and ratios , try this. If I knew how to post the link I would but I don't!

Search geistware.com oil test, and check out the one that says
oil test summary

When I was at the dealer today I happened to notice a flyer near the oil display. It was a chart listing the amount of oil per gallon of fuel for the different ratios from 16:1 all the way to 100:1. The interesting part was at the bottom of the page in a foot note.

It said that at 100:1 the margin for error was so slim that the company that manufactured the oil (amsoil or mobil 1, I didnt pay much attention to that part) didnt recomend anything less than 70:1 mix ratio.

I too will keep running 50:1 anything less than that and I'd be getting a little scared

When I was at the dealer today I happened to notice a flyer near the oil display. It was a chart listing the amount of oil per gallon of fuel for the different ratios from 16:1 all the way to 100:1. The interesting part was at the bottom of the page in a foot note.

It said that at 100:1 the margin for error was so slim that the company that manufactured the oil (amsoil or mobil 1, I didnt pay much attention to that part) didnt recomend anything less than 70:1 mix ratio.

I too will keep running 50:1 anything less than that and I'd be getting a little scared

:cheers:

We have run amsoil mixed at 100:1 for years in 5 chainsaws, 8 backpack blowers, and 12 trimmers , and we have had no problems at all.

I'm glad my 440/460 didn't have 100:1 in it when the tank vent was bad. I don't think it would have survived. The piston got hot enough that it polished it, but didn't score at all. In my mind that's a true testament to Klotz R50, which I run at 40:1.

We have run 100:1 Optimol for years with no problems. I switched to a 40:1 mixture when I learned about the oil sealing the rings for more compression. That said we have over 30 saws and have run them hard on it for over 15 years with no proven problems. With the crap gas these days and the margin of error factored in, I'll be running 40:1 and keeping the gnats away. On a side note, I've developed a love for the 2-stroke smell since mixing richer, it'll probably be the death of me.

I will have to agree! I've always ran 50to1 with the orange bottle stihl and now the hp and never any issues. Just the thought of 100 scares me.

We have run 100:1 Optimol for years with no problems. I switched to a 40:1 mixture when I learned about the oil sealing the rings for more compression. That said we have over 30 saws and have run them hard on it for over 15 years with no proven problems. With the crap gas these days and the margin of error factored in, I'll be running 40:1 and keeping the gnats away. On a side note, I've developed a love for the 2-stroke smell since mixing richer, it'll probably be the death of me.

:agree2: Nice honest opinion! If your not getting more power at 100:1 ,
actually less because of the lower ring seal, why run it? Its not like the oil is that expensive!

Not me!!! 32/1 Mobil1 MX2t!!!

Those who talk about 100/1 being cheaper than 32/1 should have their head examined. What BS!!!

I never said using amsoil at 100:1 was the best or the cheapest, or most powerful. What I am saying is you can get good service from your equipment using it.

Latest posts

Back