husky 359 or rancher 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micky_blue

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Since the closest Jred dealer to me in a bit of a jackass, what would be a better saw? it seems the 359 is the fav on the board, I just want to know why. Any real world experince would be really appreciated.

thanks
micky

pro saws are always better choices. Better power to weight ratios, better resale value, easier to work on, easier to get parts for, more durable. I truly believe they are cheaper to own in the long run.

I'll go against the grain here: Get the 460. It will outcut a 359 with the cat muffler, and it costs way less. With the 359, you will definitely want to get a non-cat, so figure that into the cost. Sustained cutting with the cat muffler generates lots of heat and raises the crankase temp to where the saw begins to run poorly. If you take it back to the dealer, he'll have to run the thing for a half hour on the wood pile to see this, so if he just starts it up and makes a couple of cuts, he'll think your nuts. But it doesn't really matter because the only fix for this is to shut off the saw and let it cool down. Also, if you still want a 359, make sure you get one with the updated Zama carb, not the original Walbro, or you will have idling and acceleration issues down the road. 359's are easy to work on though; I've rebuilt a bunch of them. :)

I don't even stock the 359 anymore. 460's, (and 455's), are very reliable saws that go out and stay out. Don't worry about the Pro vs. Homeowner debate if you are simply cutting your own firewood. In fact Husky classifies both of these saws in the in-between "Landowner" category. IMO the 460 is also better balanced with a 20" bar, where the 359 feels a bit nose heavy. Get the 460. :cheers:

I have 2 of the 359s both non cat mufflers,I had the 455 rancher and sold it because it was a tank.Maybe the new 460 is better,never run one yet. But the 359 is based on a pro saw.

spike
would you also maybe recomend the 450 445 435 instead. these seem to be good saws and cost less. do you have any 260 250 comparisons maybe 270 280.

maybe the 60cc saw isnt even needed in this debate?

Are you comfortable with modifications?

I'm a huge fan of the 359 because it's slimmer, more ergonomic, & easier to rebuild than the 455/460. It also shares many parts with the 357xp and so parts availability is excellent. That being said, Spike has some very good points. The 455/460 usually a lot less expensive, similar in power, and you don't have to worry about the catalytic converter muffler. Most folks that spend $500 on a saw don't want to have switch mufflers & void warranties to protect their investment.

Spike, have you had problems with just about all of the HDA199 carbs or due you think it was just a "bad batch" ? The reason I'm asking is because my '04 359 still has that walbro carb and hasn't missed a beat. I'm thinking about buying the Zama for insurance purposes but it seems like there's a ton of 357/359's out there that have been running strong for years.

450 is a very nice saw. It will be spoken of highly here as more guys start running them. Very smooth. 445 is slightly smaller displacement wise. The 435 is built on a smaller chassis, and you notice that it's a bit lighter than the other two. It is actually around 40cc, so it's a pretty snappy little item. The OP really didn't say what kind of cutting he is doing, so we really don't know how much saw he really needs. I honestly don't have enough real world experience with the Stihls mentioned, except maybe the 026 to give any insite as to how they compare.

The carb issue on the 359's does seem to be confined to the more recent saws. But, I don't think it's simply a bad batch, or Husky would not have switched. I was told that there was a problem that Walbro was unable to fix. I'd have to look it up, but I suspect there was a change/update to the carb for emission purposes that may have introduced the problem.

As for the "pro" type of saw for a guy doing his own firewood cutting, I don't necessarily agree that the average user really benefits all that much from the extra money spent. Nicer, definitely, but not always necessary. If you're doing 10+ cords a year in an OWB, and cutting lot's of big stuff, then yes you are better off with not only a pro saw, but a saw that's larger in displacement than any homeowner models that are available. But a guy that's doing 3 to 5 cords of wood and rarely cutting anything bigger than 12" will do fine with a good Husky or Stihl homeowner unit. Both brands have a lot of overlapping models of pro and homeowner saws in the 50cc to 60cc range. Here on the site we are all enthusiasts, so we lean towards the nicer units. But in the real world, Joe Woodcutter is buying 450's, 455's, 460's, 270's, 290's, 390's, etc. They are cutting TONS of wood with these things. The saws are reliable and hold up well. They come in for service with the same problems as their pro counterparts. Fuel issues, filters, cleaning and maintenance, occasional busted mount or bent handle, stripped oil gear, etc. Just the usual stuff. But we simply do not see any additional problems or failures because they are not "pro" saws.

I also think that too many guys get hung up on the plastic crankcase thing like it's some kind of great barrier between pro and non pro. The truth is that there are very very few problems with these saws due to the plastic crankcase. The only thing I've seen is on some 350's with the muffler coming loose and exhaust gases melting the case. But that was a muffler issue, not a crankcase problem.

Power wise, a pro saw will be somewhat quicker that a homeowner saw of the same size, and most of us guys here love that extra snap. But again, for the average guy that's just cutting up a pickup load of wood, it's not very important.

well said spike. i agree 100%. i beat the crap outta my old 455 and it never gave me a problem. this site just corrupted me and im at where im at now because of it lol. the cad is very low right now. i suspect thats because i have not cut in quite some time. thats probly the only thing keeping me from buying more saws.

I cut 3 to 5 cords a year and would love the wood to be 12" and smaller,but I run into the 20" or so ones and want to get it done fast so I own a Snellerized 359.If I wanted to be out cutting all day I would get a WildThingie or an 400 series husqvarna.Husqvarna 460 3.7hp 12.8lb. it should be labeled as an homeowner saw.Get a 359 and replace the Cat muffler and you will be very pleased.I am still cutting with my Husqvarna 44 Rancher I bought used in 1983,it runs super.And I sold my 1984 Husqvarna 266SE that I bought used with over a 100 cords on it in 1988 last year that was running perfect.Get a pro saw,they last:clap:

thanks everyone. I have to see what the price difference on them is/what they come with. If I can I want to call the dealers and see what they have in stock to at least feel the saws. After touching them its all about the money. I will be using this to help clear land for a barn and clear the land of a bunch of blowdowns. Whats not pine will end up in the fire place. I do not have any real idea of quantity but I would say 5 cord max a year.

micky

I agree the 460 would be a good choice! The 359 is a great saw but if you can get a better deal on the 460 Id do it. I had a 455 sold it because it was a little short on power but its a good durable saw and is still running fine. The 460 has a little more power and 5 cords a yr wont even make the 460 break a sweat!

Latest posts

Back