pro saws vs homeowner/farm and ect

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

are pro saws worth the extra $$

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jd548esco72

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
a question for the saw folks

in another thread a sort of friendly argument arose over how good a certain non pro type of saw is.

the argument was that the non pro saw was just as good as the pro counterpart with the advantage that it costs $100 to $200 less.

my experience with that saw was that it was just OK enough for moderate use and it didn't last anywhere near as long as it's pro class brothers.

additional info- this is what you the experienced saw man thinks is best.

we all know the story about greenhorn super gomers straight gassing a new 660. this poll ain't about what you would hand greenhorn the super gomer on the job. this is what you would rather have.

Last edited:

in another thread a sort of friendly argument arose over how good a certain non pro type of saw is.

the argument was that the non pro saw was just as good as the pro counterpart with the advantage that it costs $100 to $200 less.

my experience with that saw was that it was just OK enough for moderate use and it didn't last anywhere near as long as it's pro class brothers.

I haven't been a member here that long, and already I know a :deadhorse: when I see one. :D :D

Simply put, "pro" series saws are better built, so they can take rougher treatment and still last a long time. That's not really at issue. What gets things going around here is whether or not a certain user is better off with a pro or a homeowner series saw based on their needs. Some cite cost vs only occasional use as a factor in favor of homeowners saws, while some say it's better in the long run if money is an issue to get a strong used pro saw.

That argument never will be settled. :givebeer:

I haven't been a member here that long, and already I know a :deadhorse: when I see one. :D :D

Simply put, "pro" series saws are better built, so they can take rougher treatment and still last a long time. That's not really at issue. What gets things going around here is whether or not a certain user is better off with a pro or a homeowner series saw based on their needs. Some cite cost vs only occasional use as a factor in favor of homeowners saws, while some say it's better in the long run if money is an issue to get a strong used pro saw.

That argument never will be settled. :givebeer:

yea--but it is for me--give me the pro saw please!:greenchainsaw:

If you are used to working with good tools, and know how to take care of them, the pro saw is the way to go every time. With good care and timely replacement of wear parts, a good pro saw will last through 10 years of hard use. So what's an extra $10 to $20 per year? Also, a powerful pro saw is more fun to use. Just my $0.02.

yea--but it is for me--give me the pro saw please!:greenchainsaw:

Well, :agree2:

I'd rather run a pro saw any day. But that's just me, and I've seen some 15-year-old homeowner class saws that get light/moderate annual use and proper maintenance and are still running strong.

Just because a pro saw is right for one doesn't make it right for all.

Well, :agree2:

I'd rather run a pro saw any day. But that's just me, and I've seen some 15-year-old homeowner class saws that get light/moderate annual use and proper maintenance and are still running strong.

Just because a pro saw is right for one doesn't make it right for all.

Well said. If you abuse any saw, pro or homeowner, it won't last. I've seen 032s run for twenty years and I've seen idiots thrash a brand new 660 in a week.

I have to agree with all the posts so far. If you are going to run a saw every day then I'd get the Pro model. BUT we have some nonpro models that get run every day and they have held up just fine for us.

I think how you treat a saw is really more important then the Pro or nonpro issue. Match the saw to the job. We service ours on a regular basis. Not just a dust off, I mean full service. Clean sharpen remove bars and clean all the crud from every where. It seems to keep them in tip top shape. When this is done you can find things that can be fixed if need be before they give trouble. I caught a oil drive on an 029 super yesterday that had broken and fixed it before It ruined a bar or chain. So once again I say yes the pro is the better choice it's seems to be alittle tougher but also the nonpro will give you years of use if properly maintained.

Regardless of the tool, I always try and buy the most expensive one I can afford. You don't save any money by buying the cheaper one only to have to go out and get the expensive one later....

I would say yes, a Pro type saw is worth it, although I can not always afford it, even if it is only $10-20 a year if you consider the value over a few years.

An example... We have a lot of trees and branches down from our snow December 7th. What am I using? A Stihl 024AV that my Grandmother bought my Dad in 1981. I have a much bigger Husky 1100CD too, but it is big and heavy for the 2-16" oak I am cutting.

This saw is listed in the Stihl literature as the entry saw of their Pro line(my Dad saved all the stuff for the saw, including advertisement and sales stuff). It has not been used professionally, and sometimes not for extended periods. Homeowner, and firewood kind of stuff.

Here is a quality saw, that is 28 years old. It is still very comfortable to use, handles well, and cuts really really well for it's size. AND... I can still get parts and service for it.

I have had a couple less expensive saws, and they worked because I kept them tuned, clean, used fresh quality gas/oil. But they just were not made to last. And, there was just not the parts/service. Sure, a fuel line or spark plug.But, find pistons, rings, bearings 10 years later.

I have another basket case 024Super torn apart on the bench, that will be getting new bearings seals and rings.

For that matter, there is the above mentioned Husky, which runs and works great. Acres lists the 1100CD as early-mid '70's. So there is a 35+ year old saw. Still runs great, was able to get a carb kit, fuel line, and impulse line from the local Husky dealer a couple months ago.

It should be noted, as another poster already mentioned, if you take good care of a tool, that makes a difference too. I can attest; my Dad and Brother have thrashed bars and chains on this old 024; fortunately they have not thrashed the powerhead...

Really depends on the fella holding the saw. You can take a perfectly manufactured "pro" anything and put it in the hands of a complete idiot and the idiot will win everytime. I have an XL Homelite I bought 16+ years ago at beer : 30 on a Friday afternoon for $20. Use it for everything, ran it for 5 hours one day last week, still as good as the day I bought it. Thanks Jimmy!

my thinking on the non-pro saws is that their some kind of reverse engineering going on.

some marketing guy is thinking like this

"there are problems with the industrial saw sales. they are lasting way too long and knocking us out of new sales and they cost too much which scares away potential buyers. the high price is also causing the customers to repair rather than replace the old saws."

the solution= "lets grab more market share by selling a less expensive saw which has a shortened service life. at the same time make parts either unobtainable or prohibitively expensive thus making the new replacement saw more attractive. thus we will sell more new product."

now how well a homeowner saw holds up--with its care being equal to a commercial unit will depend on how close the factory held the production of the homeowner saw to the commercial specs.

I am relatively new here but understand the OPs question as I am considering this same question myself regarding a MS290 vs. the same size saw in a Pro model...possibly a 361 (if available). I believe the tie-breaker(for me) is retained value of a pro saw versus a homeowner saw. At some point, I will get rid of the saw, and I want to get as much of my investment back as possible. This is easily witnessed on Flea-Bay every day by watching what the Pro grade saws sell for as opposed to the homeowner grade saws.

Interesting reading! Lets look at the Husky 359 and the Husky NE346xp. By the manufacturers own categorizing of the two one is clearly a pro saw (346xp) and one is a landowner saw (359). MSRP. shows the 359 costing more, now it does have 9cc more, a dash more power, and a little more weight. So how come its not a "pro saw" or is it? It looks attractive to me. Is it made with the Mahle cly. and piston? It may not be exactly apples to apples but what is? The 359 has a decent following as well as the 346xp. Does it cost more because its better built? Given a choice of a free one what would you take, pro or landowner? I think I could like the landowner model in this particular case. REJ2

I have to agree with all the posts so far. If you are going to run a saw every day then I'd get the Pro model. BUT we have some nonpro models that get run every day and they have held up just fine for us.

I think how you treat a saw is really more important then the Pro or nonpro issue. Match the saw to the job. We service ours on a regular basis. Not just a dust off, I mean full service. Clean sharpen remove bars and clean all the crud from every where. It seems to keep them in tip top shape. When this is done you can find things that can be fixed if need be before they give trouble. I caught a oil drive on an 029 super yesterday that had broken and fixed it before It ruined a bar or chain. So once again I say yes the pro is the better choice it's seems to be alittle tougher but also the nonpro will give you years of use if properly maintained.

I agree.:agree2:

I have always bought top quality tools. Most of the time the tools are there for the long haul, and if I slipped up and bought something cheap, I was usually sorry of it.

However as far as chain saws go, the weight to power is a deciding factor most of the time as well as a magnesium crankcase.

That said, if I thought a saw was excellent quality, I would not let the"Home Owner" label hold me back, as in say the MS211.

I'm cheap, and I like well made tools.
I'll take the cheap consumer saws that borrow their architecture from the pro saws, like the 353 Husky, Ryobi 10532, Dolmar 510, etc.
OTOH, if I can swing a good deal on a used or discontinued pro saw, that works for me too.

Interesting reading! Lets look at the Husky 359 and the Husky NE346xp. By the manufacturers own categorizing of the two one is clearly a pro saw (346xp) and one is a landowner saw (359). MSRP. shows the 359 costing more, now it does have 9cc more, a dash more power, and a little more weight. So how come its not a "pro saw" or is it? It looks attractive to me. Is it made with the Mahle cly. and piston? It may not be exactly apples to apples but what is? The 359 has a decent following as well as the 346xp. Does it cost more because its better built? Given a choice of a free one what would you take, pro or landowner? I think I could like the landowner model in this particular case. REJ2

i think what causes real concern here is some non pro saws are much closer to being a pro than others. i have a 455 rancher i got on trade. the truth is i don't think too much of it but it is an OK saw for most mundane tasks. very far from a pro saw though.

the 359 is much closer to a real pro saw than my 455 is. but an XP of the same cc would certainly be better IMHO. you should ask someone up on the latest husky products as i am not qualified or up to date on them.

if someone would give me a free pro-non-pro or box saw i would take any. obviously if i could had to pick one i would go with the pro.

the poll is more about would you part with an extra $100 or so for a pro saw.and i mean a real pro/industrial saw not a sticker/badge pro saw.

i have seen a few homeowner saws on commercial applications the 350 huskys were popular saws to piggy back on skidders for a while. so non pro saws ain't all bad. there are just some trade-offs with the non industrial product.:chainsaw:

"Homeowner" saw for me - right now. Mostly because I can't afford anything else and it gets the job done.

That said, I am selling off one of my homeowner saws leaving me with one "pro" and one "homeowner" saw. Although the 330 could be considered a "mid range" as opposed to "pro" by some probably.

Latest posts

Back