Modified Solo 690?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2993

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm considering buying one of the "reconditioned" Solo 690 saws, and was wondering if it might be a good candidate for modifications/porting. Anyone messed with these?
Thanks,
George

I have one of those used Solo 690s. Mine certainly was not reconditioned but a demo or used return. Decent, strong-running saw that I use for hobby milling. No modifications, but it came without the spark screen in the muffler and I have not bother to replace it. Somebody else's previous fiddling around with it I imagine. Gotta be a little careful when I shut it off because sometimes a blue flame briefly flares out of the exhaust which could singe a guy's beard if he's leaning too close.

Mil-surps, Wis. Legends, TRUE Origin of Harley-Davidson
http://www.atthecreation.com/

I've been thinking about one of those also. I havent heard much about them. But, it sounds like a good deal.

I like the Solo 690

I have one and I know that Rich has one. Those reconditioned saws are hard to find if at all. If you want me to look I can email me.

The 690 Solo is a very strong saw and can be modified to run with the 6 cube saws.

Sounds like good response for the 690. I called the place that advertises the "reconditioned" ones on their website, and they hadn't dealt with any in a while, nor did it sound like they expected to. Seems like maybe they just never update the web page.

Sawracer, I wouldn't be racing this saw, but from what you say, I gather it might make a good strong milling saw as well? Is there much difference in the mods done on a race saw and what might be done for a milling saw?

Thanks,
George

By the way, a little off subject, but who are the John Deere's made by? I just looked at one. Is it Solo, or Efco?

George, yes there is a differance, a woods saw, would not need as much modification, and should not, in order to remain durable. As in most assembly line products, it can be improved. The Solo seems to be a good saw, at a good price. Jon

Latest posts

Back