Trimming Already Split Wood To Length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elektrobot

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've got some wood that is bucked to 18-22 inch lengths, and I've already started to split it. I would like to trim the already split pieces into 16 inch lengths. I have thought about building a crib and piling the split pieces about 3-4 feet high, and just buzzing down the front to trim them to length. I figured i would build this out of 4x4 wood posts, make it about 15 inches deep, and try to keep the bar about 1 inch away from the front face of the upright 4x4's. If this is sounding dangerous, please say something. This is just the best method I've thought of so far to secure the split wood for trimming.

Thanks for any suggestions on a better way to do this, and if this sounds confusing -I’ll attach an image that will help my mess of words make sense.

When you build your crib (a fine idea btw) add a nice spike low down on each side of the uprights, then use a piece of rope to cinch the pile down (or chain or whatever), use your imagination, but a secure pile will be easier to cut and prevent the possibility of chunks moving, pinching the blade etc., and other grief. An upright piece of plywood scrap set the right distance from your cut-point will make stacking it a snap too.
Just my 0.02$ worth. :D

Sprig said:
When you build your crib (a fine idea btw) add a nice spike low down on each side of the uprights, then use a piece of rope to cinch the pile down (or chain or whatever), use your imagination,

I've used cheap ratchet type hold down straps to secure a pile of slab wood to buck it to length. Worked very well.

Well, until my 039 burned up, but that's another long story... :D

I built something similar years ago. It had several upright "U" brackets spaced down 2x6 on edge. Used it to cut up small diameter limbs (anythig I could lift).

Works great but be sure the chain is SHARP. A dull chain on such a set-up is a real PIA.

Harry K

Wish I'd thought of it. I did about a cord, once piece at at time that way. Laid a large wood block on the ground, nailed a short 2x4 to it an wedged the pieces between it and my foot. It took me a while. Dang I feel dumb now.

:bang:

guess I will build id

Thanks for the input.

soon as it stops raining here, I wil throw something like this together and let everyone know how it works out.

sweet crib, sure beats putting one piece at a time in my splitter to cut the ends off!!! dam i shoulda thought of that!!!
-mike

just looked at this thread, I have a bunch of slabs that are 22"ish and I need them to be 18", guess I'll do something similar.....

Bottle, I stacked a load of slab wood on a pallet, and strapped it down in several places. Worked very well. If you only need to do this one time, it might be quicker. The rack looks better, but if you're only going to do it once...

Cutting Rack

bottlefed89 said:
just looked at this thread, I have a bunch of slabs that are 22"ish and I need them to be 18", guess I'll do something similar.....

If you are going to do something similar to what I posted, make sure to secure it to the ground some how. I used 2 corkscrew style ground anchors that people commonly use to attach dog leash to, and wrapped a ratcheting nylon strap around the top and through the rack. Holds it just fine. Good Luck!

Help

An harmonious symphony of practical functionality, good on ya!
:cheers:

I am looking to buy a chop saw from a dealer to chop firewood to the right length if any body has seen one let me know I only wrap firewood so I need them the right length. My set up is in side I am limited to room this later

What to do with the cut off's? I burn them in my ice fishing shack, in a stove I made out of a 20# propane tank.

Back