My new sawbuck. Whatcha tink?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of smaller wood I need to buck, lots from a local tree guy, and some from trees on my property. I see no sense in splitting large pieces down to kindling size, while throwing away kindling sized branches! :dizzy:

Besides, a bunch of the tree guy's stuff is 5 - 8" diameter. Easy to pick up, and a pain to buck on the ground.

So, I built a sawbuck that would handle multiple small pieces at one time. Stack 'em in there, strap 'em down, and cut! I tried it out today, and it works great.

I made it to fold up so it's easier to store, or transport.

Take a look (click the photo to open a bigger image):

This was just a test run with a few small logs. See the chains at the bottom? They run from an eye at the back to a hook on the front. This allows me to vary the spread of the legs.

Here's an end view:

Here's what happens to the wood when it's cut:

Sometimes it falls, sometimes it doesn't. I make each cut just to the RIGHT of the 2x4. They are spaced so that I get a neat 16" log with each cut. No marking, no thinking about it. I just load and cut.

Here's a run with a bunch of pine branches from a dead one I felled today. Great for starting a fire of good oak logs. The nice thing is that it accomodates wood that isn't very straight.

I'm not sure the strap is really needed. I did tht first batch of logs and one run of pine without it, and the pine branches were a bit more trouble with things shifting, but really not too bad. The logs were no hassle at all.

It wasn't hard to build, and I think it's going to save save a lot of hassle. No more bending over to buck small stuff. The only critical part was getting the holes & bolts lined up. They have to be in a straight line to act as a hinge without binding. I used some 3 1/2" 5/16" carriage bolts I had. I would have preferred half inch, but I had these already. Two 1 1/4" fender washers between each pair of legs to act as a bearing. All the bolts face the same way so that the nut and excess thread is AWAY from the cutting side.

Well, folks, what do you think?

Yeah, I was wearing it today, when I wasn't cutting. Of course, when I'm running my John Deere saw, I wear my GB helmet and my Husky saw chaps! :D

BlueRidgeMark said:
I've got a bunch of smaller wood I need to buck, lots from a local tree guy, and some from trees on my property. I see no sense in splitting large pieces down to kindling size, while throwing away kindling sized branches! :dizzy:

Besides, a bunch of the tree guy's stuff is 5 - 8" diameter. Easy to pick up, and a pain to buck on the ground.

So, I built a sawbuck that would handle multiple small pieces at one time. Stack 'em in there, strap 'em down, and cut! I tried it out today, and it works great.

I made it to fold up so it's easier to store, or transport.

Take a look (click the photo to open a bigger image):

This was just a test run with a few small logs. See the chains at the bottom? They run from an eye at the back to a hook on the front. This allows me to vary the spread of the legs.

Here's an end view:

Here's what happens to the wood when it's cut:

Sometimes it falls, sometimes it doesn't. I make each cut just to the RIGHT of the 2x4. They are spaced so that I get a neat 16" log with each cut. No marking, no thinking about it. I just load and cut.

Here's a run with a bunch of pine branches from a dead one I felled today. Great for starting a fire of good oak logs. The nice thing is that it accomodates wood that isn't very straight.

I'm not sure the strap is really needed. I did tht first batch of logs and one run of pine without it, and the pine branches were a bit more trouble with things shifting, but really not too bad. The logs were no hassle at all.

It wasn't hard to build, and I think it's going to save save a lot of hassle. No more bending over to buck small stuff. The only critical part was getting the holes & bolts lined up. They have to be in a straight line to act as a hinge without binding. I used some 3 1/2" 5/16" carriage bolts I had. I would have preferred half inch, but I had these already. Two 1 1/4" fender washers between each pair of legs to act as a bearing. All the bolts face the same way so that the nut and excess thread is AWAY from the cutting side.

Well, folks, what do you think?

I think thats a right neat get up there. Will do the trick. Now lets see, you got a Stihl knife, a Stihl cap, a Stihl banner, hmmmmmmmmmm. Uhhhhhh Mark I just order some new 441's today, hint hint hint................

Thanks, Dan. That's the idea. Safer, faster, less stooping. I looked at Bailey's chainsaw buddy, and while I'm sure it works as advertised.... All that stooping! Oh my aching back!

Last edited:
BlueRidgeMark said:
That's the idea. Safer, faster, less stooping. I looked at Bailey's chainsaw buddy, and while I'm sure it works as advertised.... All that stooping! Oh my aching back!

Mark its tough to get old...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

THALL10326 said:
I think thats a right neat get up there. Will do the trick. Now lets see, you got a Stihl knife, a Stihl cap, a Stihl banner, hmmmmmmmmmm. Uhhhhhh Mark I just order some new 441's today, hint hint hint................

Yeah, I've been looking at that one in a nice new catalogue I got somewhere....

But I need a splitter first!

And I don't have money for either one! :bang:

Nicely done Mark!!! I built one simialer to that, just used different spacing, one is 24", one is 18" and one is 16", trying to appease those finicky customers!!
Andy

Very nice. I built one on the same idea about 20 years ago. Used "U" shape angle iron stanchions mounted on 2x6. It would fold to the thickness of a double 2x6 for hanging on the shed wall out of the way. Quit using it many years ago as I cut everything up in the wood patch now and don't really make firewood out of small stuff anymore. Anything under about 6" goes on the fire pile. I cut limbs to 16" lengths before cutting them free from the log so most of it is done clear of the ground.

I like your idea much better than the one I built and will do it that way if I ever build anohter one.

Harry K

It's downright sweet for the back! I debated with myself about the height. If it were lower I could use it for bigger logs. But those aren't that hard to do on the ground anyway, so I went for something that would have the wood at about waist height. It's 30" from the bottom end of the 2x4s to the hinge bolts. The actual height depends a bit on how far apart the legs are.

Nice Idea

Thanks for posting this on the forum. I built a rack to trim wood to length a few months back, but it does not work well for anything that needs more than 12 inches cut off, or small stuff. This looks like just the trick to get the small diameter stuff cut to length efficiently.

mga said:
sure beats bending over....must be alot easier on the back.
I buck with a 371 that has a 28" bar, I don't bend over, I only handle the wood once, to get in in my truck. Nothing wrong with Marks setup, whatever one is comfortable with.

Nice sawbuck, Mark. Now you just need a small skid steer with a grapple to load it.:blob2:

turnkey4099 said:
Quit using it many years ago as I cut everything up in the wood patch now and don't really make firewood out of small stuff anymore. Anything under about 6" goes on the fire pile.
Harry K

Just curious. Why are you throwing anything under 6" on the fire pile?

Leebo said:
Nice sawbuck, Mark. Now you just need a small skid steer with a grapple to load it.:blob2:

Yeah, I wish! I was moving 12-18" logs around last week and this weekend, 5-6 footers. By hand! Where's Ekka's Kanga when I need it? :D

Great idea

That is a great idea BlueRidgeMark.Did you have a drawing for that sawbuck?

Leebo said:
Just curious. Why are you throwing anything under 6" on the fire pile?

I need to cut that size down. I was just unloading and I found I am hauling a few chunks of 4" which is about my minimum. It just becomes more work than it is worth to fool around with small size sticks.

Sitting here under the AC after finishing unloading with the temps building into the 95 degree range. If wood sweats the way I do in the heat it should dry to powder by days end.

Harry K

Thanks for posting the pics. That looks like a good design. I can see how that makes life a lot easier for cutting up limbs and smaller stuff.

And best of all, now I know exactly what to do with the stack of 3-5' end-pieces of old 2x4s that has been hanging around my garage!

Back