break in period for husky

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny27

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok i picked up my two new saws today from my dealer=husky 395xp, and husky372xp, he said to run a gallon of gas thru it then bring it back to the shop so they can fine tune everything for both saws, does this sound right? and what is the correct breaking in process if any? (can you tell these are my first new saws:clap: )i started the 395 up and ohhhhh boy! music to my ears same with the 372,kinda gave me the chills:givebeer: lol alot diff than the 32yr old stihl 045 ive been using, thanks guys

A gallon seem a bit to little for me, I would at least double that, and a bit more if they have double ring pistons....;)

Sure felt like my 372 was gaining power right up through ~15 tanks of gas. I have no data to back that up. Just "feel".

Good lord

johnny27 said:
ok i picked up my two new saws today from my dealer=husky 395xp, and husky372xp, he said to run a gallon of gas thru it then bring it back to the shop so they can fine tune everything for both saws, does this sound right? and what is the correct breaking in process if any? (can you tell these are my first new saws:clap: )i started the 395 up and ohhhhh boy! music to my ears same with the 372,kinda gave me the chills:givebeer: lol alot diff than the 32yr old stihl 045 ive been using, thanks guys

Wish I had money to buy new saws like that, lol. Congrats on your new arrivals dude... :rock:

i fine-tuned my 353g after around 10 tankfulls of gas...

Imo, the proper break-in for saw is alot of limbing and not-so-much really long cuts , as in, alot of variable revs and loads...

breakin a saw

i say two hours of light work aka not loadind the saw down:biggrinbounce2:
just putter aroun the wood pile out back also letting the saw run for two or thre minute before use after th first two hours:greenchainsaw:

I just run them hard from the start, but with load of course !!
A little rich the first couple of gallons ,,,

My dealer told me to use it like I would use it at it's hardest for the first 15-20 tanks then bring it back and he would retune it for me. SO i went and burried her in a 65 foot 22"dbh white oak and made some saw dust then finished cutting the other 7-8 trees in the garbage pile left over from a bard removal after that i only had 4-5 tank through it so i used it for a couple more weekends then took it back in he didn't need ot adjust it. So either I am lucky or the saw never really leened out yet and she has about 30-40 tanks through her by now.

Great info

Great info all. I wonder how come my dealer didn't tell me to bring my saw back in when I bought it yesterday??? He was saying how he just got back from training the week before too. Hmmmmmmm:confused:

ciscoguy01 said:
Great info all. I wonder how come my dealer didn't tell me to bring my saw back in when I bought it yesterday??? He was saying how he just got back from training the week before too. Hmmmmmmm:confused:

some dealers dont know that everyone cannot adjust saw´s properly...

I have always went easy for the first ten hours of a saws life! Only running wide open for short periods of time.

toolfreak said:
I have always went easy for the first ten hours of a saws life! Only running wide open for short periods of time.

you do realise that you might be hurting your saw when youre doing so (not loading it up enough)....

I didn't mean to imply that I only run half throttle. I guess what I meant to say was I only pick on the smaller limbs. I do run the saws wide open just on the smaller stuff. I keep them out of the big trunks that require a couple of minutes.

blis said:
you do realise that you might be hurting your saw when youre doing so (not loading it up enough)....
You're right again young man - WOT only in wood during run-in, but no "halv-trottle" - that's the easiest way to kill a saw, and espesially Husky xps....:cheers:

.. log home builders are notorious at killing them, running halv-trottle in the cuts...:bang: :bang:

5 to 10 tanks of fuel for break in is about the norm. If you had a compression gauge you could actually monitor the break in. A new saw has about 105-110PSI out of the box, and will rise to the 130-140PSI range after break in.

I break my saw in by using it the same way as I do everyday.
I run 40 to 1 mix. I don't know if I hurting the saw but I have had no problems.
Saws work best a full throttle. And thats what I give them.
Oh I stay away from 20" plus logs at first but thats about all.

SawTroll said:
You're right again young man - WOT only in wood during run-in, but no "halv-trottle" - that's the easiest way to kill a saw, and espesially Husky xps....:cheers:

.. log home builders are notorious at killing them, running halv-trottle in the cuts...:bang: :bang:

making log homes kills saws even when theyre reved properly...

Back