Klotz Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky-homelite

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a question about Klotz oil. I've done several searches on this brand of oil on the forum and can't really find the answer to my question. Is this oil a good choice for running in chainsaws? If so, which oil in particular would be best suited as Klotz has a few types of 2 stroke oils (ie Benol racing castor oil, super techniplate, R-50 techniplate, etc).

I know that alot of you fellows run the Mobil 1 racing 2T and I would like to run that too, however I can't find the stuff anywhere locally to me. With Klotz, I can pick it up at the Yamaha shop in town. It would be nice to get a standard oil for mixing so I don't buy all sorts of different oils to mix for my chainsaws, brushcutters and 4 wheelers. Currently I run Stihl orange bottle at 50:1 in my Stihls and Huskys and Castrol Actevo in one 4 wheeler at 36:1 and Yamalube 2R in another at 32:1.

Here are some tech sheets for the oils I listed above.
Benol - http://www.klotzlube.com/tech/BC-175-1.pdf
Super Techniplate - http://www.klotzlube.com/tech/BC-175-1.pdf
R-50 Techniplate - http://www.klotzlube.com/tech/KL-102.pdf

Based on the above information I'm leaning toward the R-50 Techniplate. Does this seem like a good choice? When I make the change in brand, should I also change the ratio of mix on my Stihls and Huskys or leave it be at 50:1?

I'm just looking for some guidance and I know that alot of you are more knowledgeable in this area than I am.

I run Klotz super techniplate x2 at 40:1. first thing I noticed is all the saws needed idled down. The stuff is way slick compared to dino/stihl/castrol.
I use the 80syn/20castor blend. wouldn't use anything else now.
this stuff http://www.klotzlube.com/tech/KL-100.pdf
-Ralph

Last edited:
Thanks Begley, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the super techniplate over their other products? Is it a price consideration or is their a performance advantage? I will admit, for my use there would probably be no performance differance in any of the oils I listed and it will probably come down to which oil I can purchase on the cheap.

I use the super techniplate because it holds up to the high rpms of saws, and makes no smoke. other blends do smoke and are made for different applications. cut4fun uses Klotz too, and had a pow-wow with them as to which blend to use (we use the same stuff) so he could better answer your question as to why.
I get mine here at the bike shop, $11/qt. thats a lot cheaper than the $3 stihl bottles that only mix 2 1/2 gallons. and much better mix oil too. you get a lot of mixes out of a quart!
I don't use the mobil mx2t because I can't find it here. none of the bike shops use it, and its not stocked at the local autozones/advance stores like it is in other places. so, I use what's available here. for me, thats Klotz. doubt I'd swith to anything else now.
-Ralph

I've got a question about Klotz oil. I've done several searches on this brand of oil on the forum and can't really find the answer to my question. Is this oil a good choice for running in chainsaws
I wouldnt use any oil Klotz makes. For one thing it has terrible anti corrosion properties.
I have used a ton of the stuff in sleds FWIW.

Begley, I've read enough posts by yourself and Cut4fun to say that if you two use the Super Techniplate, then I have no problem using the same thing. I appreciate your helpfulness and honesty.

So Ben, does the Klotz mix eat up cylinder walls and rings? As long as the oil is lubricating properly and not sitting around for weeks at a time unused in the machine would there be any corrosion to speak of? I'm pretty limited in what I can purchase locally. I'm with Begley on the price of oil at the dealership, $3 for enough oil to mix up 2.5 gallons of gas gets pricey after awhile. Keeping that in mind, I can purchase Maxima and Klotz locally and would prefer to buy a gallon at a time. If the Yamaha store in town would carry gallon jugs of the Castrol Actevo I would buy it in a heartbeat.

So Ben, does the Klotz mix eat up cylinder walls and rings?
It corrodes the crank and crank bearings, or at least thats what I found.
If I ran Klotz it would be R-50.
You say you have a Yamaha dealership your buying oil from? Check and see if they have Yamalube 2R. Its very good oil.

Last edited:
Yes, they have Yamalube 2R. I guess the reason I never considered it was because in my atv circle everyone has said that it is not very good oil. But like I say, I'm hear asking opinions so I would like to hear all the viable options. Thanks again everyone, you're giving me food for thought and I appreciate it.

I have used the Klotz Beenol for about 1 yr. I'm not a pro on saws, so I really can't inform you on engine wear. BUT, I do know this it sure smells goooood!!
After joining AS, it seems that the most popular vote is for Mobil MXT2. I bought my 1st bottle last week. And am looking forward to how good it smells. I know it shouldn't matter about the smell, but if that many saw gurus say it's good, thats all that matters. :cool:

The fastest production saws in the world run Klotz Oil !!!!! It is very good oil. That oil is on the top of the race circut. If it is good enough for a race saw it should be good enough for a work saw

Rick

The fastest production saws in the world run Klotz Oil !!!!! It is very good oil. That oil is on the top of the race circut. If it is good enough for a race saw it should be good enough for a work saw

Rick

Its good enough for my work saws, and more. I've had no problems whatever other than running klotz in a brand new 372. too slick, the rings never seated. I had to switch back to dino in it, and the compression is comming up and cutting speeds and power is getting better all the time. when it tops out, its back to Klotz. it will actually outcut the 5100S now, as well it should.
when I switched from stihl oil to klotz, all my saws would cut wood at idle, had to turn them all down. really drives the point home about wear and friction if you have to have an extra turn or more in on the idle to overcome the friction of stihl oil.
I personally have never heard anything about bearing problems and Klotz, from saws to bikes and quads, everyone in this area that runs or races uses it faithfully. just seems to me if that was happening, you'd hear about it.
-Ralph

Rick

Plus the rpms them Helsel saws run are proof, Nuff said!

I run Benol in my KX265...It works great and as everyone else says "it smells wonderful":dizzy:

I'm using Stihl oil now, I will try the Techniplate next time I'm at the bike shop.

Like I think Helsel or Ralph mentioned - #1 on the KART race circuit - that should say something. I run R-50 exclusively in all my 2 stroke machines from my KTM 300 MXC to my Husky 232R Brushcutter. Klotz makes FANTASTIC oil - and like everyone has agreed, the aroma can't be beat! No question whether or not your saw is running pre-mix or straight gas :yoyo: I got the hook-up on the R-50 for about $29/gallon...the Super Techni-Plate is good oil, but can seperate from the gas in cold (30's) temperatures.

Klotz

All of my two-strokes run Klotz Super Techniplate. I have never had a problem due to this oil.

Back