Universal oil that works for all ratios??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chargedstang89

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a bottle of two cycle oil from Lowe's over the weekend that says it safely replaces all ratios (16:1, 32:1, 40:1, 50:1). Does anyone run oil similar to this? I tried doing a search, but didn't have much luck. I have a toro weed eater and a husky 142 chainsaw and was thinking of using this for both, but I'm a little hesitant, depending on what users have said?? The toro is a 50:1 and the husky is a 40:1.

Oh Oh....

Oil, and oil mix ratios, two of those highly opinionated taboo topics all wrapped up in one topic! Wow....:bang:

I'll give you a straight answer though...I have several 2 cycle engines that call for both 40:1 & 50:1 and I default to the oilier mix....everything gets 40:1.

I'm happy, the engines run and all is well. :jester:

Give it a shot... what have you got to lose. Just your hard earned money on your saws...

If you had a Pooplaun wild thingy... I'd say go for it...

Your choice.

Oh yeah... this topic gets beat to death here... Not bein' a PITA... but did you try a search of the threads?

Gary

Yeah, I did try searching, but didn't have any luck finding threads. Tried using Google as well with no luck. I know oil threads are always a joyful experience. I'm on a motorcycle forum as well and we love it when newbies (like I am here) come to the site and ask "which oil is best?" But, in this case, I didn't know if people could recommend it or had good/bad experiences, etc. I am pretty sure it creates a 50:1 ratio, but who knows. I'd just rather have one gas can that works in everything, but if I need two separate ones, that's fine too. They don't take up much space.

10-4... I wouldn't use any "Universal" junk personally. I have a lot of money invested in my saws. They make me money too... so therefore, I will only run mix oil designed for saws from the manufacturer. :)

Tryin' to save a buck with "universal" type oils will bite you in the butt in the long run.

Stihl 50:1 synthetic... in every 2 stroke power tool I own.:clap:

Gary

edit... oops, sorry I didn't read that you had already searched... Good onya!

Last edited:
I picked up a bottle of two cycle oil from Lowe's over the weekend that says it safely replaces all ratios (16:1, 32:1, 40:1, 50:1). Does anyone run oil similar to this? I tried doing a search, but didn't have much luck. I have a toro weed eater and a husky 142 chainsaw and was thinking of using this for both, but I'm a little hesitant, depending on what users have said?? The toro is a 50:1 and the husky is a 40:1.

I've used the Bailey's WoodsmanPro mix oil at 40:1 and 50:1 for over two years and have not had any problems . If you'll tell us the name of your oil maybe someone here has used it .

Last edited:
The brand I picked up says "Pro Mix" on the bottle. Doesn't say anything else brand wise. Not sure who it's made by. It's a red/blue labeled bottle.

I've always used Echo 2 stroke oil ... Only because the first 2 stroke things I bought were a leaf blower (echo) and then I later bought a string trimmer .. It worked good in them so I use it for my saws also. I got some Husky oil recently and it made the gas a cool blue color ... works the same IMO.

I googled and found this site:

http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/fuelmix.html

It should help you out with ratio's and mixing. If the manual says use 40:1 then do that.

10-4... I wouldn't use any "Universal" junk personally. I have a lot of money invested in my saws. They make me money too... so therefore, I will only run mix oil designed for saws from the manufacturer. :)

Tryin' to save a buck with "universal" type oils will bite you in the butt in the long run.

Stihl 50:1 synthetic... in every 2 stroke power tool I own.:clap:

Gary

edit... oops, sorry I didn't read that you had already searched... Good onya!

reminds me of a saying: "Pay too much on the best and you wasted a little. Save 1 penny too much and you wasted everything."

Why don't you just use a quality oil and mix it 40:1 to cover all of your needs? The little extra oil in the one that calls for 50:1 isn't going to hurt anything.

If you really want to use it.
Ask for an MSDS sheet to see who manufactured it for Lowes. If it is a reputable blender chances are you will have no problems.

Here's the deal as I see it. You need to use an oil that meets the API-TC specifications, not TC-W3 (for water cooled 2 strokes). Whether you use synthetic or mineral is user choice, however there is some data that suggests that a casual (less frequent) user should stick to mineral as it has better corrosion protection (which is important if you don't use it every day).

Another thing to note--marketers sell their oil many times indicating its for 50:1 ratio, etc., but this simply means that the size of the container (ie. the amount of oil in it) will give you that mixture when mixed with the appropriate amount of gasoline---in short, you could take that bottle, mix it with a bit less gasoline and have 40:1 ratio.

I made a chart and hung it up to illustrate how much oil to mix with a gallon of gasoline to give whatever ratio I need--my implements run from 32:1 to 50:1--I tend to run them all around 40:1 and have never had problems.

I attached a quick guide as an illustration.

That Pro-Mix stuff has you mix 50:1 by default, if you are using the bulb on the bottle.

Back