Break in period

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfcaster1866

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys what do I need to do when I'm breaking-in a new saw. Headin upstate this weekend to cut some hardwoods.

Its a MS270 16" w/ loop of RSC.

Also requesting the IPL's for the MS170, and MS270.

Thanks again

Old School

There were fears of the rings blowing by and not seating, so running the saw a little fat (rich) and in lighter wood to give the rings a chance to seat, and the extra fuel produced a little more carbon to fill in the gaps. Machining was not as good as now.

Now, at the acme of sounding anal, I woulds still run the saw a little fat, and make sure the chain is maintained very sharp, not that the saw will brake in and last longer, just to ground yourself in good practice.

A chainsaw engine is like any other, and is either put together right or it isn't. So using a saw engine is actually breaking it in. As long as you don't initially lean the carb out so the saw "screams", you'll be fine. In the old days, high performance airplane engines were broken in with a handful of Borax. Engine materials were different back then and the engines had a shorter but more intense service life.

Re

While we're on it what about bar oil? I have a gallon of oil from ace hardware. I know its not the best stuff. But should I even bother using in the Stihl? Or let it go in the old "rent a saw" Poulan?

After a bit check the screws on it with the Stihl tool that came with the saw, things have been known to rattle loose on new saws.

While we're on it what about bar oil? I have a gallon of oil from ace hardware. I know its not the best stuff. But should I even bother using in the Stihl? Or let it go in the old "rent a saw" Poulan?

Use a quality bar oil. Any brand will do. I use Stihl bar oil. Stay away from the veggie oil and crap...

Do a quick search on here and you will have more than enough reading about bar oil and 2-stroke mix oil.

Gary

man, you guys are nutz!!!

surfcaster, there is a method of new saw break in. I will outline it now

first fill the bar oil tank all the way, but leave the gas tank 1/2 empty.
let sit overnight with bar and chain pointing magnetic north.
at 7:09am wearing flip flops start saw without choke and let idle for 3 minutes and 56 seconds. shut off saw
point bar due east and leave lay on it's sidecover for 3 hours
start saw, cut 4 branches exactly 1 3/4" diameter, but cut from the bottom up. shut off saw this must be done barefoot
pull spark plug and let saw sit overnite pointing due north
next day wearing boots and chaps reinstall plug and fill saw tanks completely, do not overfill.
start saw according to manual and cut wood at full throttle but allow it to only idle out of the wood. do this until you are tired, run out of gas, or run out of wood.
take saw home and clean it up.

lol, just run it at the mix recommended by the manufacturer and have fun with it.
-Ralph

at 7:09am wearing flip flops start saw without choke and let idle for 3 minutes and 56 seconds. shut off saw
start saw, cut 4 branches exactly 1 3/4" diameter, but cut from the bottom up. shut off saw this must be done barefoot
next day wearing boots and chaps reinstall plug and fill saw tanks completely, do not overfill.
start saw according to manual and cut wood at full throttle but allow it to only idle out of the wood. do this until you are tired, run out of gas, or run out of wood.

lol, just run it at the mix recommended by the manufacturer and have fun with it.
-Ralph

LOLOLOLOLOLOL:) :) :)

Re:

Well I'm goin upstate this weekend ( Petersburg,NY) to see what old man winter did to the property. Neighbor up there said they stilll have about 6 inches of snow on the ground. This will be the first outing for the MS270.

thanks all for the info.

-Ralph

You mite be wrong I read on a craigs list ad today only run it at low idle for first three months but maybe that was specifically for the 440:hmm3grin2orange:

You mite be wrong I read on a craigs list ad today only run it at low idle for first three months but maybe that was specifically for the 440:hmm3grin2orange:

that depends on the diameter of the piston pin
-Ralph

Ralph, ya had me going until you mentioned reading the manual. That's when I knew you were puttin' us on.

PS: Should the flipflops be steel-toed, or what?

Latest posts

Back