Who greases their bar tips???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i used to not do this, and here recently i have began to do it frequently and to be honest i think it makes the tip blow out sooner, blew a tip out this morning and had to switch bars. just wondering what u guys do... btw, just ordered me my first WoodsMan Pro bar from Baileys a min. ago, hope they work good

btw: it was an Oregon PowerMatch tip that blew apart, i used to never ever grease them and i don't think im going to any more

Last edited:
I would be if I used anything but good bar oil.

It's the tacifyers that draw the oil down into the roller bearings, veggie-oil drain-oils and that cheet they sell at Wall-mart (Pullon-it oil) slings off at the bar tip, that should tell you how much is getting to the middle of things.

Good oil, when your flipping a bar, or changing a chain feel the nose-sprocket friction for all the oil that gets in there, it oiled well.

Last edited:
o yea, 660 oiler cranked to the max, stihl bar oil, tip bearing feel good, keep the bar rail dressed, i just think the grease is drawing in more dirt of making the sprocket bearing have more friction

HAHAHAHA

You are in the crapper now. The WP bars are great bars with crap tips. Stihl bars baby.

Fred

Haven't for a long time, and agree with those that say the bar oil should keep things lubed well enough, also am inclined to think that it ends up mixing with dust/dirt etc. and will actually do the opposite of its intended purpose, end up packing. I feel it is one of those things you either do all the time, everyday, or just don't. If I were cutting extreamly pitchy/or dusty punk wood I might consider doing it more often, dunno. Only my opinion. What I will do on occasion is force in some lithium grease if I think there is a lot of **** built up in there, keep at it and spinning the end till its clean stuff pukin' out, it forces it out and is thin enough to be replaced by the bar oil after a bit of use.

:cheers: And happy safe cuttin'!

Serge

I have been greasing the tip since I bought the 55 Rancher 4 years ago. Every time I filled the tank, gas, and oil (Husky brand)...

I never grease my bar tip but the oregon bars have not been good to me i find the tips blow out very easy.Try stihl bars or GB the seem to last longer good luck with the woodsman lets us know how you like it.

I do. Why else would they engineer a port there if they didn't have a sound basis for doing so? To save material? To reduce weight? To sell more grease?

i used to not do this, and here recently i have began to do it frequently and to be honest i think it makes the tip blow out sooner, blew a tip out this morning and had to switch bars. just wondering what u guys do... btw, just ordered me my first WoodsMan Pro bar from Baileys a min. ago, hope they work good

btw: it was an Oregon PowerMatch tip that blew apart, i used to never ever grease them and i don't think im going to any more

Aren't Woodsman Pro and Cannon bars using Oregon sprocket tips? I grease em and often. When they remove the grease hole I will stop.

Last edited:
Haven't for a long time, and agree with those that say the bar oil should keep things lubed well enough, also am inclined to think that it ends up mixing with dust/dirt etc. and will actually do the opposite of its intended purpose, end up packing. I feel it is one of those things you either do all the time, everyday, or just don't. If I were cutting extreamly pitchy/or dusty punk wood I might consider doing it more often, dunno. Only my opinion. What I will do on occasion is force in some lithium grease if I think there is a lot of **** built up in there, keep at it and spinning the end till its clean stuff pukin' out, it forces it out and is thin enough to be replaced by the bar oil after a bit of use.

:cheers: And happy safe cuttin'!

Serge

Yep, you can either try to press out the dirt by greasing a lot, or you can clean it out, using a small screw-driver, or something like that.....:)

..... I prefere the last option.....

Last edited:
Yep, you can either try to press out the dirt by greasing a lot, or you can clean it out, using a small screw-driver, or something like that.....:)

..... I prefere the last option.....

Chinese take out box handles work well...bring good fortune.

chinese_take_out_box_200.jpg

Latest posts

Back