40:1 50:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firehunter988

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
what is the difference i know that 40 has more oil but is enough to make a difference. also will it hurt to run 40:1 in a 50:1 saw. thanks:newbie:

It won't hurt anything to go 40:1,but it's not really necessary.If you're using a good oil 50:1 is fine..The engine is only gonna use so much oil.

Look at it as cheap insurance. I use to run 40:1 and went to 32:1 in saws I care alot about and still 40:1 in the stockers.

Whats a few more cents or 0.8 oz of oil for cheap insurance. Maybe alittle over a oz for you to come off of 50:1.

As much as I usually agree with Simon... In this case not so. The move to 50:1 came long before the EPA emissions issues.

50:1 works fine. If you want "insurance", use a full synthetic. Second thoughts, just use it anyhow. Not only is it a better lubricant (20-25% better) it's up to 280% better as a "cleaner" - that carbon issue...

The only time I use less then 50:1 is when milling, and then I use around 40:1 full synthetic.

Less carbon in the engine = longer engine life, but carbon alone is not the whole story... use search to find the 59,345 other threads on ithis topic.

EDIT: How did I get suckered into another "mix ratio thread"?????:chainsawguy:

Last edited:
Just pay for the synthetic

I was never a believer of this, but I did see some of the pictures from Andy after some of the TCW mixes out there. Stihl/Husky/Mobil1, personally I burn Mobil1, but that's because I don't like my local dealer, but that's a whole other post.

What a difference in smell though, when I switched to high test (93 octane) and synthetic, not a whiff of smoke out of any of the saws.

Andy, there is no answer to your edit question.

Fireburnersearcherguy, also use the search feature on this topic, there are literally thousands of posts about it.

Jason

Fireburnersearcherguy, also use the search feature on this topic, there are literally thousands of posts about it.

And when you do find those 34,954 threads, it is a banning offense to bump them to the top again... read, but don't touch... LOL

Ian

Lets see, I run 24:1 in my older stuff, I like the smoke.

I run no less than 40:1 in anything.

Ive got one of those crappy 65cc 2 stroke 1200 watt generators, and I run it 40:1...it was a customers, he decided he didnt want to have it fixed, so I fixed it and put it to work.

It reccommends 50:1...but I like a little hint of smoke out the muffler.

once did a small batch of mix, at about 5:1, a regular 2 stroke will usually stop running. It will run okat until the 5:1 hits the carb, then it will smoke profusely, bog, and die. Tuning it lean or rich wont help.

It makes sense in theory, more oil = less gas.

Does the Mobil1 (MX2T) have any added color yet. I tried it about 4 years ago and it was great. But being clear, I was afraid that I would forget to mix one time, and run straight gas through the saws. bob

Yes, but it's Red so you end up with gas that is just a little more red than usual. I wish they used a starkly different color like Blue similar to the dye that Stihl uses in their oil. I've considered switching to Stihl Ultra just for that reason.

Ian

Last edited:
It's a banning offense? Why?

I do it alot........

Do a search under the name "Dagger", he wrote many posts on the subject,
and made a lot of sense.

I would hate to get banned, it might mess up my commission..................

Sorry

i didn't think to search. i will try to do better next time. thanks for the help. i really like the way everybody helps here. i am glad i found this site. i am sorry didnt mean to :deadhorse:

Don't ever apologize here, these scumbags will interpret it as fear and
weakness, and next thing they will be gnawing on your hamstring.

Look what they did to me......................

long time lurker, seldom poster.

for more than 10 years ive been running AMSoil Sabre 100:1 mixed at 80:1 (1 bottle of 100:1 mixed with 5 gallons gas takes it down to 80:1) in all my 2 stroke equipment. im in the landscaping business so i dont run chainsaws all day but i do have 6-8 string trimmers, 6 backpack blowers, 4 hedge trimmers, etc., running on a daily basis. i havent lost anything to a bad engine or blown up anything. as a matter of fact, i still have an old shindaiwa t-25 trimmer that i still use for my house that ive been running 80:1 in for about 15 years!

all my chainsaws use the same mix as well and i have a multitude of brands; stihl, dolmar, husky, poulan, and they all run great. my oldest saw is an early 70s 028 that is totally original and still running great.

before i get flamed, i just want some to know that during leaf removal season, our blowers will literally run all day at WOT with the 80:1 mix. we go through about 15 gallons of mix just for the blowers in 1 day.

look forward to your replys.

thanks.

Look at it as cheap insurance. I use to run 40:1 and went to 32:1 in saws I care alot about and still 40:1 in the stockers.

Whats a few more cents or 0.8 oz of oil for cheap insurance. Maybe alittle over a oz for you to come off of 50:1.

I agree!!!

When you spend $500-600 on a saw and another $200 or so on mods 32/1 is cheap insurance!!!

I agree!!!

When you spend $500-600 on a saw and another $200 or so on mods 32/1 is cheap insurance!!!

Did you and I actually agree on the same thing? Naw couldn't be:laugh: :laugh: is the world ending tomorrow or something?:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey, anybody know anything about this stuff? I've always used Stihl 50:1 mix, but was given this stuff by my dad. Quite a few packets. Any good? It says to mix the packet with 1 gallon. I guess it's 50:1, but doesn't say. I was thinking about starting to run the Stihl synthetic at 50:1 in my saws and blowers, trimmer, etc., but got to get through the rest of my stihl mix and these packets, unless they're no good, I'll yard sale 'em. Thanks.

Don't ever apologize here, these scumbags will interpret it as fear and
weakness, and next thing they will be gnawing on your hamstring.

Look what they did to me......................

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: I'd rep you for that, but I know you don't care.. and many more worthless dolts want it.:popcorn:

Hey, anybody know anything about this stuff? I've always used Stihl 50:1 mix, but was given this stuff by my dad. Quite a few packets. Any good? It says to mix the packet with 1 gallon. I guess it's 50:1, but doesn't say. I was thinking about starting to run the Stihl synthetic at 50:1 in my saws and blowers, trimmer, etc., but got to get through the rest of my stihl mix and these packets, unless they're no good, I'll yard sale 'em. Thanks.

Groan.. throw that junk in your oil tank... It's 2.6 ounces to a gallon for 50:1, and you have how much?????

Back