Chainsaw break in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macv

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone considers to be a adequete break in time. Ive seen people say anything from "start it up and let it rip" to "it aint broke in for the first 15 tanks of gas". I have a Husky 345 that Ive ran 4-5 tanks of gas through and it seams to run ok. Will it pick up more power after I run a few more tanks through it? Also have a Mac 610 that I just gassed up and ran. Its 10-12 years old. The reason I ask is that I have a Husky 455 thats new in the box and I want it to be broke in right. I honestly only run about half a dozen tanks of gas through my saws each year.

I just asked the same question a few days ago. Most people say 10-15 tanks. A few say they give'er off the bat. Im goingto burn 10 tanks before I start going full bore.

Take the bar and chain off and put the clutch cover back on...Then start it up and duct tape the throttle wide open,don't let it cut off for about six hours..Just keep adding gas as you need it...That's a good break in method:laugh: ...Seriously...I but many new saws a year,sometimes as many as ten..Just begin by running it as you normally would,and you will be OK..But don't free rev it...It's OK to run it at WOT as long as you're in the cut..It typically takes about 10 to 15 tanks of gas.

Just wondering what everyone considers to be a adequete break in time. Ive seen people say anything from "start it up and let it rip" to "it aint broke in for the first 15 tanks of gas". I have a Husky 345 that Ive ran 4-5 tanks of gas through and it seams to run ok. Will it pick up more power after I run a few more tanks through it? Also have a Mac 610 that I just gassed up and ran. Its 10-12 years old. The reason I ask is that I have a Husky 455 thats new in the box and I want it to be broke in right. I honestly only run about half a dozen tanks of gas through my saws each year.

Theres always been alot of do this and do that when breaking in a new saw. Stihl says it takes about 5 gallons of fuel to really break their engines in.

I recently bought a Husky 372. My break in method on it was like on all my saws. I fueled it with 50:1 fuel, started it and chekced the rpm levels started sawing. I would say there is no need to run a saw wide open out of the cut whether its new or not. That said just use your saw and it will break in on its own and aviod wide open when your not sawing. Other than that there's not not much to breaking it in, it does the breaking in on its own while your using it. Oh note was your saw checked for proper rpm levels or did you buy it in a box? If in a box you might want those rpm's checked to insure its not running lean. Todays saws run very lean due to EPA laws so other than ckecking the rpm levels merely use the saw.

I like to run them a tad rich for 10 tanks. But as far as being easy on them???? NOPE, run it like you stole it.

Take the bar and chain off and put the clutch cover back on...Then start it up and duct tape the throttle wide open,don't let it cut off for about six hours..Just keep adding gas as you need it...That's a good break in method

You sure about this Timber? The 455 has only been running for about 20 minutes and its starting to make some funny noises. It melted the duct tape so I tie strapped the throttle wide open. Boy howdy is it ever smoking.

THALL!!!...You bought a 372?...Why?

I thought they were being discontinued forever this time round and I wanted one of what the Husky guys say is Husky's best before it was gone. No sooner than I got it I hear the 372 is back and plentifull again. I'll give Husky credit , they sure know how to pull the wool over everyone,LOLOL I think thats about the 4th or 5th time that the 372 was on its way out and suddenly it came back, dayumm saw has 9 lives,LOL

I thought they were being discontinued forever this time round and I wanted one of what the Husky guys say is Husky's best before it was gone. No sooner than I got it I hear the 372 is back and plentifull again. I'll give Husky credit , they sure know how to pull the wool over everyone,LOLOL I think thats about the 4th or 5th time that the 372 was on its way out and suddenly it came back, dayumm saw has 9 lives,LOL

I've got six of the best saw Stihl ever put out,then discontinued..The 440...I've bought four over the last two months..My dealer found me two more up in NC...They should be here next week..:D...I've still got my 372 down there.It's evil,I think it's making a plot to kill me.

Take the bar and chain off and put the clutch cover back on...Then start it up and duct tape the throttle wide open,don't let it cut off for about six hours..Just keep adding gas as you need it...That's a good break in method

You sure about this Timber? The 455 has only been running for about 20 minutes and its starting to make some funny noises. It melted the duct tape so I tie strapped the throttle wide open. Boy howdy is it ever smoking.

Then you're doing something wrong!!...It shouldn't be smoking.

I've got six of the best saw Stihl ever put out,then discontinued..The 440...I've bought four over the last two months..My dealer found me two more up in NC...They should be here next week..:D...I've still got my 372 down there.It's evil,I think it's making a plot to kill me.

That 440 was winner for sure. I get old 044's and 440's in the shop from time to time that look like they have cut a zillion cords of wood. All I ever hear is fix it no matter the cost. Thats a sign the saw has more than pleased the owner..

Try not to get it too hot or else the yellow poulan paint will start to bleed through j/k.

That 440 was winner for sure. I get old 044's and 440's in the shop from time to time that look like they have cut a zillion cords of wood. All I ever hear is fix it no matter the cost. Thats a sign the saw has more than pleased the owner..

I hate to keep derailing this thread,but I've been running that saw since 93.It's the saw that made my business,sure I love the 460,but it's heavier,and I have yet to figure out what the 460 will do that the 440 will not,except make your back ache more.Who cares if it's a 1/4 of a second faster through a 12 inch poplar log??If I want speed then I get out the 395...My dealer is supposed to be going through all the Stihl dealers within 100 miles to see if he can put his hands on one or two more for me..Did I mention I love my 440's?

Be sure and take the air filter off..Then pop the sap on that H screw and run it in til it's 1/4 of a turn out...That'll fix ya' right up!!;)

I like to run them a tad rich for 10 tanks. But as far as being easy on them???? NOPE, run it like you stole it.
Second that one,in over 40 years of running the noisey things I haven't blown one up yet.:chainsawguy:

Back