Fuel Additives?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildnCrazyGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anybody like a particular fuel additive? I'm looking for something to clean out any deposits in the carb on my equipment. PM so to speak. All my equipment is running ok as far as I know, but not sure if I left gas in the tiller or the leaf vac etc. to go bad. So, when I run them after its not 150 degrees outside later this summer... I want to put some fresh gas in and give everything a little cleaning with some type of additive and I think I'll run premium in everything for at least the rest of the year. I usually use the blended 89. I've seen this David Liles fuel treatment stuff at Lowe's and they've got it on clearance 1/2 price and was thinking about getting a bottle or two to run in my gas for my equipment including 2 stroke, blower, trimmer, and chainsaws. Also have seen Gumout has a small engine fuel treatment, but haven't been able to find it anywhere. Auto parts stores and such. Will just running the premium fuel clean me out??? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Yep...Seafoam.
I'm sure others will agree as well.

Read all about it here: http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard great things about seafoam, just never used it. I used to boat quite a bit (where I heard of it), but never had any fuel related issues on my boat, nine plus seasons. Uncle was another story. We would worry if he had enough gas to get us there and back... :D I also use Sta-bil. I noticed the seafoam is a fuel stabilizer as well. Use the two in conjunction ok or just use the seafoam? Thanks. I think I'll give seafoam a try.

+10 on the SeaFoam.

We also use Opti's "Optimizer" and Lucas products.

SeaFoam has a product in an aerosol can called "Deep Creep" 100% excellent for use in saws and small engines. Few squirts and you'd be amazed at the difference. Also great for storing engines. Squirt some in and run it for a second then stick it on the shelf and she'll be ready to go next week or nex year.

I have heard for years that seafoam and the spray version called deep creep work wonders in removing carbon from outboards.
The problem is I had a outboard that I inspected through the plug hole before and after a treatment and absolutley nothing happened. NOTHING!
I dont think any of these wonder additives do much more than l;ighten your wallet. If your carbs dirty pull the thing off and clean it.

Before some one asks the motor in question was a higher hour Yami. I mixed up a gallon of gas with 1.5 cans of seafoam. Once the boat was on plane I trimmed the mootr all the way down to put a heavy load on it and squirted deep krepp through the crabs while going full throttle. Made allot of smoke and stink, but didnt remove a sopek of carbon.
This method was suggested to me buy a guy off a boating board after I tried to add a can of SF to each 12 gallon tank for several tanks with no result.

I have been using sea foam about 2 years. If you have lots of time remove your carbs and clean them. For me Sea Foam has worked about 80 to 90% of the time with gas related problems. I am sure it has saved me very many hours. I have used it in several air cooled engines, car and truck engines. In tougher situations let it sit in the fuel system longer. Get rid of the old gas first and crank the motor over at 3 to 4 hour intervals until you get results with the new gas and sea foam. Some times the carb takes a day or 2 to clean out completely and you may need to adjust the mixture screw again after the added time.
I have had negative results with stabil. Last bottle I had I disposed of.

Seafoam experience

I use seafoam in every internal combustion engine I own. Gasoline and diesel. Trucks, cars motorcycles, weed eaters, tractors, chain saws, blowers, generators you name it. In every case the engine runs better and smoother after adding it to the fuel. In severe cases I have added it to the crankcase on engines new to me and freed rings and lifters. I bought a Craftsman 18 hp riding mower at a sale and was amazed at the difference it made after an application to the fuel and crankcase.

I must say it has saved me money big time. In small 2 cycles engines its cheap enough to use on a regular basis and I do. My mechanic turned me onto this several years ago and I am glad he did.

In four cycle applications, remove the air cleaner in a controlled environment and at medium high Idle spray (mist) distilled water into the carb. Use a spray bottle and dont use enough to stall the engine.

Not sure what it would do to two cycle, the idea is to use clean steam, not water vapor.

Last edited:
I duno about carbon but seafoam removes varnish from carbs.

Yep!

I use an antique John Deere tractor on a regular basis and the 1/4 turn fuel shut-off valve became so stiff that I needed pliers to move it. After a couple batches of gasoline with Seafoam mixed in the valve worked smooth again.

The stuff has a high concentration of detergents to dissolve grah-doo in fuel systems. Is it a 'miracle in a can' product? Perhaps not but it has some valid uses and can help an otherwise healthy engine in many cases.

PS - I think that the $3.00 / gallon gas we buy today is inferior to the fuels that were in common use only a few years ago. Maybe they are trying to 'cheapen up' the gas now by omitting detergents and other additives that have long term benefits for fuel systems.

Save your money... use premium gas (a quality premium gas...) and a decent synthetic mix. Keep it fresh and you'll not have any problem in the carb or the engine.

Deep Creep does break down carbon. The Sea Foam fuel additive helps clean injectors and carbs better than anything else I have seen or used.
I have never had carbon build up on a two stroke carb.

Deep Creep does break down carbon. The Sea Foam fuel additive helps clean injectors and carbs better than anything else I have seen or used.
I have never had carbon build up on a two stroke carb.
Not in my case......Did lighten my wallet though.
Lakeside is right.

Latest posts

Back