First impressions - Seafoam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Reaction score
I've heard it mentioned here, and it has really gotten nothing but praise from the posters, so I thought I would give it a try.

I have to mention that I first tried it on a tractor that had a questionable history, over 2000 hours on the motor, and it cleaned out the crud so much that it required a new fuel injector. After that was done, the thing has been running like a champ. Much more power, much smoother as well.

So, I decided to add some to my chainsaw mix.

First culprit was my 66. I bought this used, and although it was well cared for in the past, I don't know all the details.
The saw started and ran as usual, but I was determined to run the entire tank in one use. It really seemed that it ran faster and smoother, especially the last quarter tank.
After refilling, I pulled the filter, and checked the carb, and it literally looked brand new.

I tried the same test on my 346xp, and to my surprise, it did the same thing.
The saw ran better and faster as it warmed up, but really hummed toward the end.
I was not expecting this result, but I am really pleased.
Is it possible that seafoam can make that noticable a difference, in so short a time? From my perhaps biased perspective, I am sold on the stuff.

Never been big on additives,but heard good things about seafoam.How much would you add to say 20L or 5 gal of premix?

I was not expecting this result, but I am really pleased.
Is it possible that seafoam can make that noticable a difference, in so short a time? From my perhaps biased perspective, I am sold on the stuff.

Yes one can/bottle of the appropriate cleaner can make that big of a difference. I have tried several products on several different occasions, Always with mixed results. many years ago I tried Chevron's "techroline" [sp?] this cleaned out my weedeater's carb so that it ran again. before this it would not idle and lacked power on heavy jobs.
I tried several products in my Jetta including Techroline, [it has over 300,000 on it] w/o success. The thing just would not idle and would sometimes die, thought I would have to rebuild the injection system. I then noticed that Techroline had been reformulated. 1 application of this reformulated Techroline and it is up and running better than it has in over 100,000.
I wish I could have found some of the Seafoam when I needed it with the praise I hear about it I am sure it would have fixed my problem long ago.

I let some gas go bad in my ATV. I emptied the gas then used seafoam, full strength, through the gas line. ATV runs great now. Last year, borrowed a generator from my in-laws. Wouldn't run worth anything, flooded all the time, soaking the air filter with gas. I ran some seafoam through it and it started on the 1st or 2nd pull everytime after that and to this day. Nice to hear it works on chainsaws and other lawn equipment. Thanks, Greg

Last edited:
It works great in cars and boat motors. It does lean out your saw a bit. I had a new 290 and blew the bearings out, don't know if the seafoam was part of that problem. I'm gun shy with all my modded saws, so I just use fresh 93 and syn. oil mix. It does clean old stuff out.

Another pro

Ive used the stuff for years in every internal combustion engine I own. Tractors, trucks, cars, mowers, chainsaws, etc etc. Gasoline or diesel it doesnt matter. I think its great stuff. Ditto all the thread creator said.

You can get it here at NAPA or Advance Auto.

if i run it in my diesel will i have to buy new injectors? i thought it was supposed to help injectors?

can i still put it in when i have lucas in the system?

i also have transmission fuild in my tank right now to lube the pump.

First try with it myself

I bought a can at the local NAPA store awhile back and mixed it into my first gallon this week. Went up this afternoon and cut a load and must say the saw was running well. Apparently doesn't do any harm and those that should know say it is good stuff.

if i run it in my diesel will i have to buy new injectors? i thought it was supposed to help injectors?

can i still put it in when i have lucas in the system?

i also have transmission fuild in my tank right now to lube the pump.

Injectors in a diesel wear out and plug up with junk. An injector that is worn to the point of leaking might be plugged with junk preventing it from leaking. Remove junk and then you have a problem. It you need new injectors you need new injectors. Seafoam might just make you notice it.

PLacebo effect.......
I ran some of the stuff and inspected the engine before and after. There was no change.
The fact your adding seafoam to your mix can change carb tuning, but thats doesnt mean it cleaned a darn thing.
Same thing goes for guys that claim synthetic oil makes their saws rev higher and idle better....

Last edited:
PLacebo effect.......
I ran some of the stuff and inspected the engine before and after. There was no change.
The fact your adding seafoame to your mix can change carb tuning, but thats doesnt mean it cleaned a darn thing.
Same thing goes for guys that claim synthetic oil makes their saws rev higher and idle better....

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Anybody care to mention Amsoil..

Latest posts

Back