beating a dead horse 441 vs ????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
:deadhorse:
ok i get it probably could have searched the topic but i dont know husky's at all.

Iam a sthil man for years and years and iam in the market for a bigger saw. 441 has my eye. Question is what is huskys counter part and is it better, worse, or same to own and maintain. Also how is it compared in cutting performance ? It will be used for alot of firewood 50 cords plus. Price and dealer location is playing a huge roll in my decision. The sthil dealer here is way off the charts in pricing...i get buy the saw cheap of other shows but come issue time its a rip off.

You are right on target with the 441 husky throws their 575 at it but the 441 is a better machine.you should search this topic all kinds of info on it!

Last edited:
I was looking hard at the Husky 372xp when I bought my 441 a few weeks ago. From what research I have done, the 441 has more power, and is slightly lighter. However, the 372 lists from Baileys at 569$. I got my 441 for 749 minus the 290 trade in price. The reasons I got the 441 is Stihl dealer support in my area is wayyyy better and more plentiful than Husky, and nobody had a 372, and ordering would take a week. Trust me, the 441 Magnum is BADDDD, it just doesnt bog with the 20 inch bar mine has. I love it! :chainsawguy:

Last edited:
The 044/440, 372 and 441 are all excellent saws. They are also all within a pound or so. They all pull a 20" bar with authority. They all are about as reliable as gravity.

Take your pick. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

I choose the 441 because it is smooth and to me noticeably faster than a 372 or 440.

Just curious comparing the MS 441 to a MS 460. Going by the specs, the 460 is 6 cc bigger, 1/2 hp more, not that much more $$, but they weigh exactly the same. I struggled with it awhile, then went for the 460. Didn't get to run a 441, but it sounds like they are silky smooth. Beyond that, what's the draw to the 441? Different kind of power/torque? Better handling?

I would need to wait for a no tax sale, and even then it is a lot more dough than the 372 online deals. Wish I had more need for it. There are some big old cottonwoods at the ranch that need some work. Could be my excuse to need the saw, would be nice if it were not for free, to help fund this there saw.
Now that the 440 is extinct, a mint used one would be cool too.

Just curious comparing the MS 441 to a MS 460. Going by the specs, the 460 is 6 cc bigger, 1/2 hp more, not that much more $$, but they weigh exactly the same. I struggled with it awhile, then went for the 460. Didn't get to run a 441, but it sounds like they are silky smooth. Beyond that, what's the draw to the 441? Different kind of power/torque? Better handling?

While you can sit there and compare the 441 to the 460..............you really can't IMO!!!

They are two entirely different saws!!!

I picked up a 441 yesterday to use as a big limbing/small falling saw. I run 460, generally with a 28" bar and square ground chain for falling pines and firs. In addition to the 28" bar on the 460 a 36" bar sometimes comes along if I don't want to bring the 394. The 460 will now get a full wrap bar, it already has falling dogs. I may change the oil pump too.

The 441 will stay a half wrap and will run a 20" or 25" bar depending on the job. I will keep the small dogs.

When I want big power but have a dirty job to do such as thick barked trees like redwood or just dirty wood I am hoping to use the 441 and not have to clean the air filter as often as the 460. That was a major reason for the 441 too and I hope I made the right decision. Time will tell.

try and find one to run first.

maybe the dealer can put you in contact with one of their customers with one.it's personnal prefference.some will say it is faster than other saws in it's class.i like it but it's not a 372 in my opinion.previous poster said it was smoother,i did not think that and both saws were new.372 felt stronger out of the box as well.time will tell after break in.

i'd make sure your stihl dealer has a good mechanic.seems like alot of them around here don't understand the stratocharged engine.

When I want big power but have a dirty job to do such as thick barked trees like redwood or just dirty wood I am hoping to use the 441 and not have to clean the air filter as often as the 460. That was a major reason for the 441 too and I hope I made the right decision. Time will tell.[/QUOTE]

So far I am very impressed with how the 441 system keeps out the crud before it reaches the air filter. I have only put 4 tanks through my 441, but if it was my 034 or 026, it would have had the air filter cleaned 2 times by now. Again, Im damn impressed.

Where are you guys getting your information as to the 441 being lighter then the 372? Husky say the 372 weighs 13.4 lbs (PHO) and Stihl says the MS441 weighs 14.6 (PHO), both with regular handles. I don't really care, just would like to know if I'm missing something here.

As far as the MS441 and the 372XP go's, it's just like the MS361 and 357XP. Get the one that feels the best to you and has the best dealer support. You can't go wrong either way. ;)

Where are you guys getting your information as to the 441 being lighter then the 372? Husky say the 372 weighs 13.4 lbs (PHO) and Stihl says the MS441 weighs 14.6 (PHO), both with regular handles. I don't really care, just would like to know if I'm missing something here.

As far as the MS441 and the 372XP go's, it's just like the MS361 and 357XP. Get the one that feels the best to you and has the best dealer support. You can't go wrong either way. ;)

This is where I saw it:http://store.baileys-online.com/cgi-bin/baileys/5342

It doesn't seem right though, must be a misprint......

Good post there. Those two saws cut so close its not worth talking about. Weight wise the 372 is a tad liter but I think its also heavier than they advertise. I don't detect a pound differance between them but the 372 is liter by a tad, really hard to notice in the hand. Both saws are runners, thats for certain.

Latest posts

Back