GB Pro Top Vs Windsor Speed Tip Vs Oregon Power Match

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
How do these compare? Are they similar in quality or does one stand out above the others?

I know, I know.. the answer is probably just 10 or so searches away.

Ian

How do these compare? Are they similar in quality or does one stand out above the others?

I know, I know.. the answer is probably just 10 or so searches away.

Ian

Don't have much experience with the GB, but both Windsor and Oregon bars are good. They are made by the same company. I have mostly Windsor bars with a few Tsumara (sp?) mixed in. Windsor bars are usually a few dollars cheaper than Oregon. I don't know too much about the manufacturing processes between the two, but Oregon has one rivet in the sprocket nose and Windsor has 5.

Ian,

Did you get prices on the GB Bars and the other bars you mention?

If so, Please post the prices for refferance.

I would have to believe you really would not notice much differance in the 16" range. really comes down to your HP on the saw, sprocket size and type/sharpness of the chain.

Thanks,
Scott.

Bars??

As far as best, I've had the best luck with with GB CN40's Tit's. I've used the Oregons, they've seemed like the metal was softer, and the Windsor with the same result and it seemed they wore, i.e. the grooves on the bottom seemed to wear faster and needed to be ground more often. The windsor was quite a few years ago, so they might be better now. I've just had such good luck with the GB I'd never buy anything else now... The Stihl bars are probably the next closest I've found to them. They are all good bars, don't get me wrong, I just think there's little things about the GB's that stand out. Another thing is it seemed with the oregon the oil hole in the bar plugged frequently and had to be cleaned. It's been a couple years since I've used anything but the GB's so I'm trying to remember... Hope this helps bro...

:cheers:
Cheers eh?

If they are all new bars, go with the best price unless you are going to put huge hours on the bar.

I run all three plus others but mostly Oregon and Windsor bars due the availability and cost. Tips get loose but are easily snugged back up. Lately Oregon bars have been falling from the sky(most likely out of trees) so that is what I have been using. Last year it was Carlton and Tsumora. The latter most likely spelled incorrectly and my favorite as the triangular tip mount makes the saw look faster.

If they are all new bars, go with the best price unless you are going to put huge hours on the bar.

I run all three plus others but mostly Oregon and Windsor bars due the availability and cost. Tips get loose but are easily snugged back up. Lately Oregon bars have been falling from the sky(most likely out of trees) so that is what I have been using. Last year it was Carlton and Tsumora. The latter most likely spelled incorrectly and my favorite as the triangular tip mount makes the saw look faster.

So How do you like those Total Bars ?
Those are my favorite, They seem to last and last.
The Triangular tip is also a longer tip.
I would recommend a total bar to anyone looking for a new bar

He can not get a 16" Titanium bar. well not even a small mount Husky Titainium bar.

The total bars are the same as Tsumara (sp?) and are good bars. Cutters choice is now selling them under their own name. I use a lot of Total bars (but not as many as Windsor), they come with the new Jonsered's from my dealer and last for quite a while.

Last edited:
Don't have much experience with the GB, but both Windsor and Oregon bars are good. They are made by the same company. I have mostly Windsor bars with a few Tsumara (sp?) mixed in. Windsor bars are usually a few dollars cheaper than Oregon. I don't know too much about the manufacturing processes between the two, but Oregon has one rivet in the sprocket nose and Windsor has 5.

The larger Oregon Power Match bars (Actually, the large Pro-Lites too) have 6 rivets in the sprocket nose. The smaller ones have 4 or 5.

Yep, GB doesn't make the Ti in a small Husky mount :cry: . I looked at the Woodsman Pro bars that Bailey's sells and they don't offer a small mount Husky either. I guess the really high end bars only really show their stuff when you're running high HP and long bars. I'll probably end up with a Windsor since that's what I'm running on the 372 and what I bought for the 361.

I'm really just wondering out loud. I still have that 9.95 Chinese "Tiger" bar that I bought from Bailey's on the 346. It runs fine, but I thought I'd put something a little better on it just for kicks.

thanks for the input guys,
Ian

Never ran a GB...

But I have used both Powermatches and Speed-tips for years with no problems whatsoever.

This might sound a tad biased... but I am a big fan of the Stihl ES bars.

Ya get what ya pay for in bars and chains.

Gary

Carlton bars give us good service for the price. Baileys had some ,cheap, close-outs. Oregon & others are good. Just a matter of economics.

Yup, and they are re-badged GB titanium. Not sure what is left in Husky small mount, but I got the 16 and 20" cheap.

Nothing touches the Stihl ES bars IMO, I have been very happy with the GB TI's, I LOVE them!!! The PROTOPS, so so, they wear pretty well, but not that much better than the Oregons.

I like them a lot. If they are available for the saw mount, at a competitive price then that is what I buy. The last ones came from Bailey's. Most of my Husky large mounts are T-bars. My only complaint is a couple of the most recent ones have had some really shabby tip rivet installations. Not a huge issue but an odd departure from the old. They last T-bars were far straighter then the last G.B. bars that I got.

Latest posts

Back