favorite saw bars

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
ok, if i knew how to get the poll to work right i would ask this in that form but since i don't.....

what is your favorite type of bar for your saws???

ex. oregon, carlton, stihl, husky.......

I have had good luck with Oregon powermatchs and stihl solid bars. Stay away from the laminated ones and almost anything is good. I remeber reading a post by someone on here that worked in the industry and though Windsor made the best bar. I dunno, never used or seen one.

Husky bars are relabled Oregon, I believe.

I've always liked the Stihl pro bars. They have different grades, like most manufacturers, but I've had excellent service from the top-shelf stuff. Their cheap bars are like all the other cheap bars.

I can't get a Stihl bar to fit my Echo 3400, but recently got an Oregon Pro Lite which is holding up better than the cheapos typically available in retail shops in a 14" size.

i've been using top shelf stihl and oregon power match, just thought i would stir a turd and see what everyone liked. everyone has their favorites:D

Stihl and '70s Homelite bars have been best for me. Also have a Windsor, but the sprocket tip bearings crapped out.

GBBAR

I use GBBAR. I like the price and they last long enough for me.
The Stihl's , Cannon's, and Windsor are great but cost much more.
Only used Oregon laminated and they were terrible.
I think most solid bars are adequate.

been looking at woodsman pro bars, i think they are carlton's??? too pricey though. just wanted to see what everyone liked/disliked:Monkey:

guide bars

I like the Cannon Super bars with Oregon sprocketnose tips, The bars are pricey but very well machined true and very hard rails, I
have (1) 42" .063 and (2) 24" .50 .I also have a few Stihl pro bars
very good bar also. Most bars are ok anymore. Improper chain maintenance is generally the cause of bar failure. Seth

Ryan
Woodsman pros are Cannon
moon2.gif

ah, so i see said the blind man as he plssed into the wind.....
it all comes back to me now!!!!:angel:

Comparing type to type, laminated, solid, etc. ; I have not observed a significant difference from brand to brand.

Also it is getting very hard to really know who actually makes each bar.

The biggest difference I see is from how the bar has been treated. That makes much more difference than brand.

If I had to make a choice, I would put GB and Tsumara at the the top, Oregon in between. I cannot name a bad brand of bar.

I used to favor Windsor bars, but who the heck knows who makes what anymore.

I am going to try one of those orange GB titanium bars. Anybody tried one? How was it? Only thing I dont like is that I will have to change to 063 gauge chain. 3/8 has always worked good for me.

The only GB I ever had seemed nothing special. didnt last as long as most of mine, which are Stihl, Oregon, Windsor, plus a General 60". Keep your chain tight, and well lubricated, and don't bend the bars and they last for ages.... You can also use a bar rail closing tool, as well as keep them flat and deburred.

I like the chrome Oregon Pro that came with my 372XPG-W, thanx to gyro tha bum. Those heated handles wont keep my pinkies dry during our coming long wet season....What I need is a saw with a built in umbrella.....

For little saws up to the 346, I dont mind light, cheap laminated bars, as the weight difference is noticable in the tree. I think I even had some stihl 25 inch bars that do not have a replaceable tip, dont remember if they were laminated or not, but they lasted long enough, and seemed pretty light.

GBBAR for bwalker

GBBAR Orange Bar

I think the Orange ones are for harvester machines bwalker.

If you need only one or two bars of the GBBAR variety you should ask Jeff or myself.

They discount them after you buy 10 or more.

They make 3/8 pitch with a .063 grove chain

What I don't get is why we (Canada & USA) use a Sprocket with a specific pitch roller when other parts of the world use a smooth Sprocket which takes any pitch chain?

Don

Ryan,

I like to use the Oregon Pro bars on my 064AV,and I use the Woodsman Pro (Cannon) bars on my 385XP they just seem to last the longest for me,although I've been thinking about trying a Windsor bar for a while now...

later Rob..

Latest posts

Back