Limiter caps for Walbro WT carb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian S

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post here and I would like to introduce myself before I get to the subject of my post.

My name is Brian, I am 29 and live in Arlington, Texas. I've been using chainsaws since I was a teenager, I am NOT a pro although I did run a landscape company and trimmed/removed storm damaged trees, never climbed or felled trees in residential areas. Now I cut firewood for myself and family, about 3 cords per year between us all. I started viewing this site while I was shopping for a new saw. I've really enjoyed reading posts here and I've learned a lot in the past couple of weeks.

I just got a new Echo CS-440 saw to supplement my aging Poulan Wild Thing which is getting near the end of its life. I can't complain too much about it as it has lasted 8 years and with good care it still runs fine but wears me out with vibrations.

My dilemma is this, my new Echo came to me running real lean and already as rich as it could go on the high side limiter cap. I got the caps out using a Matco broken screw extractor but I lost one cap in my workshop. I retuned on the rich side and the saw sounds much happier and the increase in torque with the bar deep in a log is noticible.

So, ok saw runs great. Lets call the Echo dealer 1.5 miles from my house and ask about limiter caps, I ask the nice lady if they have any limiter caps in stock for Walbro WT type carbs used on this CS-440. "The EPA will not let us sell you those caps because your carb cannot be adjusted." I said that is absolutly not true, the carb is the same as an old one but the caps keep the adjustment locked down. And her answer "Well we can't sell you that part, it would be illegal."

WTF! I used to run my own landscape business and I have bought a lot of Echo parts there to maitain my line trimmer and blower from these people but that has to take the cake. I guess they probably don't sell a lot of 20LP chain either because they told me that the can only sell full chisel chain to professionals.

I called a few other dealers locally but none of them have any caps in stock.

Does anyone out there have a couple of Walbro WT caps they could spare to help a poor guy out?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

First off Welcome to Arborist Site. I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I know how aggravating it can be talking to :censored: on the phone. I will check and see if I have any limiter caps in the shop.:cheers:

Hi Hustler, thanks much for looking.

HiOctane, normally I would agree with you 100% on the caps not needing to be there but this particular Walbro carb (WT416) does not have the adjustment springs, the caps are splined on the inside and knurled a bit on the outside, they sit down in an aluminum well that is part of the carb casting and the outside of the cap contacts the wall of the casting which gives you a "lock" on the adjustments. Without the caps the needles can move, they haven't yet but as the saw ages I could see them working out on their own. My line trimmer and blower don't have caps either but they have the springs under the adjuster screw heads.

Hi Hustler, thanks much for looking.

HiOctane, normally I would agree with you 100% on the caps not needing to be there but this particular Walbro carb (WT416) does not have the adjustment springs, the caps are splined on the inside and knurled a bit on the outside, they sit down in an aluminum well that is part of the carb casting and the outside of the cap contacts the wall of the casting which gives you a "lock" on the adjustments. Without the caps the needles can move, they haven't yet but as the saw ages I could see them working out on their own. My line trimmer and blower don't have caps either but they have the springs under the adjuster screw heads.
Cant you install springs on the needle instead of caps ?Ive checked the parts book and it seems to have a"shoulder" on the needles where you can sit the spring.

Last edited:
Maybe, but the adjustment heads are much smaller than normal and there would be a minimal "ledge" or purchase under the head for the spring to bear on. Maybe if you changed the needles too, it would probably work.

Success, maybe.

I called a local Stihl dealer after giving up on finding any Echo dealers who knew their butts from a hole in the ground. The Stihl dealer cataloged the Walbro part number for the caps (25-519), but he was out of stock. He said he would order some for himself and I could come buy some later this week when they come in. He told me the kit of two caps was $.97 so I said get two kits just in case I loose more. We will see if they come in OK, I'm sure the Walbro caps are common to Stihls and many other engines so I bet they will be OK.

I'll post when I get them.

I'm really unhappy with my Echo dealer, I don't regret my choice in saws but I wish they were half as helpful as the Stihl dealer was. Strange thing is that these guys used to be really good. The only other Echo dealer (also a great Toro dealer) worth a darn is too far away for quick trips but I guess I'll start going out of my way to vote with my $$.

Success, maybe.

I called a local Stihl dealer after giving up on finding any Echo dealers who knew their butts from a hole in the ground. The Stihl dealer cataloged the Walbro part number for the caps (25-519), but he was out of stock. He said he would order some for himself and I could come buy some later this week when they come in. He told me the kit of two caps was $.97 so I said get two kits just in case I loose more. We will see if they come in OK, I'm sure the Walbro caps are common to Stihls and many other engines so I bet they will be OK.

I'll post when I get them.

I'm really unhappy with my Echo dealer, I don't regret my choice in saws but I wish they were half as helpful as the Stihl dealer was. Strange thing is that these guys used to be really good. The only other Echo dealer (also a great Toro dealer) worth a darn is too far away for quick trips but I guess I'll start going out of my way to vote with my $$.

brian tell him list price for them caps are $ .85 cents

I think he is charging $.97 for the kit of two caps. I'm not about to argue with that price.

Well, the Stihl dealer did not get his final stock order for the year. My caps are supposed to come in the first week of the new year.

I've got to cut fire wood tomorrow so I guess I'll use my one cap on the high side needle and keep an eye on the low side until the new caps show up.

On the bright side I did pick up three loops of 20LP chain so at least I've got something that cuts better than the 33SLow chain it came with.

Latest posts

Back