What saw for trail clearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Our boy Scout Troop adopted a section of the north country trail and we are responsible forkeeping the trail clear. Our scoutmasterhas a stihl ms210 that we use but i would like to get something with a little more power and something that will pull a 20" bar. We are usually cutting stuff between 6-12 inches but seem to always come across lareger stuff, once we came across a 23 inch cherry and a 25 inch ash, we were able to cut it with the small bar but it would have been easier with a longer bar.

So the question is what saw would u recommend, preferably a stihl and something that is fairly light as the section we have is roughly 16 miles and somewhat rough terrain in places

Would you consider an 18" bar?

An 026 (now the 260) would do what you're asking. Might be possible to pick up a preowned for a decent price.

Looks like a perfect application for a 5100S or NE346xp, or even the old 346xp......:greenchainsaw:

...except for the bar lenght - but sort of OK if it is only for reach.....

Last edited:
All Scouts need to have a 660 or at least a 7900 on hand for those pesky woodland chores.......:greenchainsaw:

But for reality ....+1...what they said.....:)

Last edited:
I'd vote for something in the 3.5-4hp range. The new Husqvarna 346xp, Dolmar 5100, or a Stihl 260 or 361 would work. My current choice would be my little Husqvarna 154, which is a 3.8hp 54cc saw that weighs and cuts about the same as the Dolmar 5100.

I've done trail clearing with little saws (30cc Echo, Homelite) and while they were nice to carry, they didn't have the power needed for serious cutting. I've gone the other route, when we knew that big stuff needed to be cut, and toted the 7900/28" over hills, up slick riverbanks, and through the woods - it sucked, but it sure did cut!

I'd vote for something in the 3.5-4hp range. The new Husqvarna 346xp, Dolmar 5100, or a Stihl 260 or 361 would work. My current choice would be my little Husqvarna 154, which is a 3.8hp 54cc saw that weighs and cuts about the same as the Dolmar 5100.

I've done trail clearing with little saws (30cc Echo, Homelite) and while they were nice to carry, they didn't have the power needed for serious cutting. I've gone the other route, when we knew that big stuff needed to be cut, and toted the 7900/28" over hills, up slick riverbanks, and through the woods - it sucked, but it sure did cut!

I agree, except the "tads" add up a bit - so there is some weight differense between the NE346xp, and the 154 - with the 5100 somewhere in the middle....:)

wood junkie i have a couple 660's already and a 460 but lugging them is a PIA, we have left large stuff before and i went back in, getting close on forest roads but it is easier if i can get them on the first trip because i never seem to get alot of time to go back again

That is just your opinion........

There are alot of people including my self that like the 026/260pro......

I like them as well, but they are not top performers, by todays standards....:) :)

...and definately not a good option, at the US priceing.

...over here, they look better - as Stihls are relatively cheap here.

Last edited:
I'd opt for a STIHL MS 361 with a 20" B&C combination. If you find it necessary, you can always add versatility to this set-up by carrying an extra 16" and 25" B&C package in a back pack (few pounds of weight that will go unnoticed) while your out clearing trails. With the 25" bar I'd run a skip sequence chain. If you find that you're running-in to mostly small stuff...you can always throw the 16" bar on for real ease in handling. However, if you decide to go with a single B&C option; then a 20" bar is your best bet.

I would go with a used 026 or 260 because you all ready have a few stihl saws which probably means you have a good dealer and you are familar with the stihl products. The 5100 and 346 aren't bad choices at all, all these saws can get the job done, but I feel the 026/260 fits your situation better. I build mountain bike trails and maintain them also, I like to use my ms270 or 031, both with 16", but will lug my 038 super around if I am close to my car. A sharp chain is the best thing to have IMO. I know some of my group members dry out gatorade bottles and use them to hold their fuel and oil, which they store in a backpack, that makes the saw easier to carry.

:greenchainsaw: - forget the 026/260, even though I sort of like them - they just are outcut, and outperformed, a long time ago........:cheers:

Most people are not overly concerned with saving a few seconds in a cut. Most folks generally want something that they can count on and that they know is going to work. With roughly 20 years (+/-) of track record; the 026 / 260 has proven that it excels in this capacity.

Myself if I had a lot of trail to make I would rent a d6 cat
lot faster and can even level trail as you go and won't have
to come back as often regrowth!

Just go all out and make a 14-16ft. line through the forest with a D11R.:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

All jokes aside the 260 should do you well, the 361 is a real treat.:chainsaw:

Most people are not overly concerned with saving a few seconds in a cut. Most folks generally want something that they can count on and that they know is going to work. With roughly 20 years (+/-) of track record; the 026 / 260 has proven that it excels in this capacity.

Not me either, really....:cheers: :cheers:

..and sure it does perform well, but with some slight issues - the 260 that is...

Last edited:
hey epicklein22 i know what mean by a sharp chain is the most important thing, because i am a logger so i know how important a sharp chain is, an i do the same a ur friends and use, powerade bottles for fuel and oil, my plan was to use a 20" bar seeing as that is all usually run for work

Get a ms260 for that type of work. I have carried my uncles 460 around cutting shooting lanes where we hunt and it is a very nice saw but isn't very fun to carry around for ten miles. I bought a 260 recently and it is very light and easy to work on parts are easy to find and they hold their value. The track record of this saw speaks for itself you can beat the things into the ground rebuild them and they are thirsty for more. I know the 346xp and 5100 cut faster but the 260 is a good reliable saw that will last a long time and get the job done. I like the 260's just for the fact of the parts supply. I can get a 260 parts saw in 5 minutes at a local dealer and be back in business cutting in no time. I won't take any thunder away from the other saws but it makes a lot of sence to me to own a 260. I know that my local power company runs them the fire department runs them the city road crews run them and many others oh and modded they are very very quick in small wood. I like how quick it is to remove the plastic it takes seconds and the cyl and air filter are easy to access and the layout is very simple.

Back